Author Topic: Need some help with riddles  (Read 2442 times)

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
Need some help with riddles
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »
So my players want to try something different, claiming they are bored with the old kick-in-the-door dungeon crawl.  I've always been quite fond of riddles but I need a little help scripting out this session.

The basic setting is a creepy and insane wizard who is astral projecting himself around a haunted city leading the players through a cryptic series of clues that if properly solved will lead them through the encounters to the final showdown.

I'm trying to come up with riddles that have an answer that will lead them to the next location and then stage an encounter based around that location.  In addition, I want each of the riddles to have a number in the question which will convert to a letter and spell out the answer to the final challenge.  The tricky part is, I'm also trying to write the riddles such that they rhyme (cause I think it adds to the overall creepiness).

As an example:
(from Batman Forever)
"The eight of us go forth, not back,
To protect our king from the foes attack."

The answer is chess pawns, and when they follow that to the correct location (a landmark in the village) they will be dropped onto a large chess board, with various constructs serving as opposing pieces, and they will only be allowed to move like the chess piece who's square they started on.

As another example, a riddle that has the answer "mirror" or "reflection" will have the players fight a party consisting entirely of clones of themselves.

So what I'm getting stumped on is riddles that consist of two to four lines, rhyme, have a number in the question, and answer with something that could serve as an interesting encounter.

Any thoughts?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Need some help with riddles
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »
Well for mirror as the answer:(i can't rhyme)
You go right, i go left.
If you cause me any harm,
7 years you will need a charm.  (could replace 7 years with the appropriate number of moon cycles in that time)
Where am I?

some others from the Batman cartoon where the Riddler had fun doing something similar. I don't remember all 3 riddles but i know each had a number and it spelled DMV in Roman numerals.
Where does an 800 lb gorilla sleep? where ever it wants. queue the girrillian.

edit: Just had another one come to mind.
Pi is the number with cut off at the point included in the riddle itself to lead to a bakery.
Got it, needs work though:
Pi (they hear :pie) cut off at the point (3)
makes me angry to no end.
My children here i shall defend.

Leads to a battle with a scaled down Treant from an apple tree.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:14:53 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »
If I might reccomend, throw in an encounter trap
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
I'm glad to hear it went well.  On a semi-related note, here's some dungeon-riddle-based humor:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:34 AM »
Q: what,....does a drunk duck?

A: anything his wife throws at him

wakka wakka
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
Puzzle based dungeons are good too, some of the older D&D products were set up this way. You can also take a hint from Zelda. Sometimes something as simple as needing to bring the red key to the red door can liven up a game.