Author Topic: Dragon PC in high powered homebrew gestalt campaign  (Read 5590 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Dragon PC in high powered homebrew gestalt campaign
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:02 PM »
Well the Tome Dragon is the weakest dragon breath weapon as is, so I guess the Archdragon templates aren't really worth it. 

And I've recently discovered how much I like the factotum.  Ignoring SR/DR and extra standard actions is always appealing...

Any luck with the Bozak?  If you went full progression up the Bozak side, and one of SorO's builds up the other, subbing in at the very least 3 levels of Incantatrix, you'd be nigh unstoppable.  Quad 9's without trickery :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »
DM said no Dragonlance material.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 02:26:20 AM »
The Lawful Arch-Dragon Dragon's breath weapon becomes an Antimagic field. If you take that and the Good Arch-Dragon (debatable on if this works, but I'd allow it as a DM but force super LG...) then your breath weapon supresses all magic for 1d4 rounds, and kills any undead in the area with a Will save. Take ability focus, take feats that let you breath more often, and that's ridiculously strong in an Undead heavy campaign.

EDIT: It's hard to pull, but the Ravening dragon can breath 3 times in a row before it needs to take the d4 recharge. And +2 to the DC. Buuuuut you have to eat your size in creatures every day...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:29:41 AM by bearsarebrown »

rypta

• Email
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »
That what my first reaction when I saw those templates, but I didn't think I could get the DC high enough to be effective in a campaign designed to deal with PCs having to deal with ~ECL 12 gestalted trumpet archons.  Then again, I don't know very much about breath weapons.  I'll explore this a little more after work today.

EDIT: The good archdragon changes your alignment to neutral good, while the lawful archdragon changes your alignment to lawful neutral.  I doubt the DM would allow them together anyway.
EDIT EDIT: Woops, I'm guessing that is what you were referring to when you said "debatable."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:43:14 AM by rypta »

rypta

• Email
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:19:36 PM »
Hate to double post, but the DM has loosened the template restriction and said he would consider (and perhaps modify) any templates with "Level Adjustment: --".  Monster of legend is already out, but what other templates like that are there?  Is there a template collection that I could be consulting somewhere?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 12:13:04 AM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm Paragon would be fun but it is a +15 cr adjustment.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »
Hooo boy.

What about Ghost? Dragon Ghost with perhaps Evolved Undead or Spellstitched.

rypta

• Email
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 03:37:04 AM »
Looks like I'm scrapping the dragon.  Got an evolved (4x) human vampire lord instead!  :o

STR +20
DEX +8
INT +4
WIS +4
CHA +16

So of course there are the powerful and numerous vampire/vampire lord abilities and then:

Dodge, leadership, iron will, alertness, combat reflexes, improved initiative, lightning reflexes as racial bonus feats,

+CHA mod to saves, +12 natural armor bonus, 100 ft. telepathy,

Cloud kill, greater invis, haste, hold monster as evolved SLA's (randomly determined),

ZERO racial HD!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:39:36 AM by rypta »

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 04:00:32 AM »
snag mindsight.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »
This is great news.

Make a Wilder//Sorceror. Between Schism, Arcane Fusion, and Arcane Spellsurge (kicks in at level 14 I believe), you will literally find yourself shitting extra actions.

Lemme give you some perspective here:

Schism allows you an extra mental action per round. Say, a stilled, Silent spell, or a Power
Arcane Fusion casts 2 spells at once.
Arcane Spellsurge casts all spells as quickened.
Any metamagic increases the casting time (say, Invisible spell, a +0 enhancement), allowing you 2 spells/round right off the bat right there.
Linked Power allows you to practically double your output of powers.
So in one round, after you're buffed, you could cast a linked power, a quickened spell (preferably an arcane fusion), an invisible spell (another arcane fusion, sir?), and you haven't even started polymorphing into a choker yet. Not to mention you have a deep well of power points and spell slots which you can use like a teenager uses tissues.

Could be lots of fun for a blaster caster! I don't even want to think about how this combos with a Swiftblade/Factotum..

rypta

• Email
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
Yea, a lot of the builds I've experimented with have mixed psionics and arcane casting (many of which include factotum and/or swiftblade since the DM allowed factotum SLA's to qualify) for the purposes of extreme action economy.  While sorcerer//wilder certainly makes the most of of the CHA bonuses, its very few powers and spells known and so I've been a little hesitant.  I've also been trying to make more gish-like builds to take advantage of that monster strength bonus.

Latest:

Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4//Factotum11/Sorcerer4/Monk2/Hexblade 3

Sorcerer 6/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 4//Psion 20 (or wilder 20)

Psion 16/Slayer 4//Factotum 8/Sorcerer 2/Swiftblade 10

What I think I'm going to check out next is trying to mix absurd action economy with telflammar shadowlord.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:55:04 AM by rypta »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
mistling is a fun la+6 template.  You can create living spells!
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »
Hate to double post, but the DM has loosened the template restriction and said he would consider (and perhaps modify) any templates with "Level Adjustment: --".  Monster of legend is already out, but what other templates like that are there?  

Is monster of legend only out because the DM believes it has LA -?  It has LA +7 as of the 3.5 update of Monster Manual II.  Speaking of which, a sylph has LA +5, 3 HD, and casting as a 7th level sorcerer.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:21:12 PM by Maat_Mons »

rypta

• Email
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
Hate to double post, but the DM has loosened the template restriction and said he would consider (and perhaps modify) any templates with "Level Adjustment: --".  Monster of legend is already out, but what other templates like that are there?  

Is monster of legend only out because the DM believes it has LA -?  It has LA +7 as of the 3.5 update of Monster Manual II.  Speaking of which, a sylph has LA +5, 3 HD, and casting as a 7th level sorcerer.  

He does know about the errata.