Author Topic: Your favorite class. Why?  (Read 8889 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: Your favorite class. Why?
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 05:46:43 AM »
Favorite class:
Barbarian.
I like the concept. All of us have been made enough that it made us wish we had super powers. Before the binder a lot of the time I'd play it like it was "possessed" or "bound" to some beast that our hero was desperately trying to control. . . hulk like or wolverine-ish, y'know? I also like the simplicity. In a lot of ways its the opposite of the warblade as far as that goes. It charges and hits stuff harder... without the use of  magic. Its rare and cool nowadays.

Honarable mention: Dreadnecro. . . balanced fun does its job. Bravo.

Least favorite class: Monk.
Here's why. . . to me all those Dragon Dynasty films and Shaw Brothers classics are movies starring: Fighters.
All those other films with the dudes who "run through the air"? : Clerics of Tao/Buddism...
Mechanically though one just has to say  :twitch it does nothing very well...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

TheBrood

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »
fav class hard to choose just one so they are
-necromancer
-druid
-dragonshaman
i just like playing something with little fun magic tricks like pulling a dire rabbit out of a hat or something lol

most disliked
-cleric
-bard
just because they are simply not my style of play :P

serpentwind

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
Some people may call me weird, but I love the Soulknife.

They may not be powerful, but who needs to be when you get DM-granted bonus to intimidate for throwing an exploding sword made of thoughts at people?

On the class I don't like....

Paladins. They are just rude. Too much RP requirements.
Greyguards, on the other hand, are awesome.

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
Some people may call me weird, but I love the Soulknife.

They may not be powerful, but who needs to be when you get DM-granted bonus to intimidate for throwing an exploding sword made of thoughts at people?

On the class I don't like....

Paladins. They are just rude. Too much RP requirements.
Greyguards, on the other hand, are awesome.

I'm a fan of the Soulknife as well. Though it really needs to be a full BAB class.

Take a look at the Pathfinder Paladin. It's much superior to the 3.5 version.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »
Pfft.....hmmm....

Long answer:
[spoiler]"Fighter" aswell as ToB:
Warblade, with Crusader at second.

Divine Caster:
Druids. With Clerics a long way down on second. I know I'm gonna sound wierd, but I don't like clerics.

Arcane Caster:
Sorcerer. Though I have far more Wizard -second place- builds, I prefer the sorcerer since I'm bad at preparing spells.

Manifester:
Psion (egoist/shaper). With Psychic Warrior at second.

ToM:
Binders. With Shadowcasters waaaaay down the line. There are no such thing as a Truenamer.

Incarnum:
Totemist, Incarnate at a respectable second place.

Skillmonkey:
Artificer.
Beguiler on second since:
I can't find a fighting style that I like for the Factotum. (I don't like the Ijatsu-route at all).
Swift Hunter isn't a single class.
Rogue ends up having only a single level, the rest being wizard, unseen seer and arcane trickster.

"Face":
Bard I suppose, since the Binder/Warlock/Hellfire Warlock isn't a single class :p

PrC:
Swiftblade, nothing even gets close to it, with one exception.
A concept that I love but won't work properly in 3.5 without gestalt:

Storm Sentry. The whole controlling the winds is a major love of mine.
But it either needs to be ported to 4ed or included into Gestalt to be worth it.

I also love the concept of a Gnome (Copper)Dragon Shaman. I'm soo going to do a party-enhancer if I ever get the opportunity in gestalt. Dragon Shaman and WoC-bard, perhaps some Song of the White Raven shenanigans. Might even add some Marshall, aswell possibly with some kind of mount-thing going on... suddenly those 40 levels seems too few :lmao[/spoiler]

If I had to choose one character and only one to play for years to come, it would either be a sorcerer or a druid, since I need options. Nothing says options like casting.

I've always liked druids, every game I've played or seen that had them.
D&D, Heroes V, HORDES, Magic:the Gathering etc.

Of all the aspects of D&D, gaming wise nothing beats playing arcane casters for me. Since I prefer Sorcerers over Wizards 'cause I like spontaneous casting more, sorcerer gets my vote there.

Since I'm more comfortable playing high WIS than high CHA, Druid gets that.

Short answer:
I don't know.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TheBrood

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
forgot about them :P
they're like the Gambit of D&D <3 lol

Balmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
I usually play characters that hit stuff until it stops moving. My favorite class, ever, is probably the Warblade. You hit extra strong, and then when you can't, you just hit normally. Best. Recovery. Method. Ever.

Favorite divine and arcane classes are Cleric and Sorcerer, respectively. Don't get me wrong, wizards are fun to play. It's just that sorcerers are more fun.
"You know, in the old days we relied on ingenuity rather than feats, the strength stat used a forward slash as a decimal point, and there were no such things as Drow.

"I miss the old days." ~Thaco, Goblins

Demons and Angels and Jakkai, oh my! Check out
www.raizap.com/sdamned!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »
My favorite class? Hmm. Out of my choices right now, I'd have to say physics.

On a more serious note, I enjoy playing the Archivist, Wizard, and Artificer. I love playing toolbox characters and looking for creative ways to solve problems.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:08 PM »
Bard, probably.  Improvisation makes me happy.

Totemist is fun too, and so is Factotum.

If there's a class I hate, it would be Truenamer... so much potential to be a good class, but the developers botched their Craft Mechanics roll.

bihlbo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 03:56:47 AM »
Favorites:

Crusader, because every time I've ever played a big guy wearing a lot of armor, I wanted to do everything that a crusader can do.
Wildlander for the versatility and build options without having to learn a new system (like maneuvers), and because it does what a ranger should have done all along.
Factotum because it allows you so much constant creativity, and I love playing smart characters.

Least Favorites:

Barbarian, because it seems like the most unnecessary and goofy class. A whole class devoted to one single mechanic: hit harder. If you can't hit something you are wasting someone else's air. So retarded.
Samurai doesn't count as a class in my mind. It's just a fighter build that doesn't really suck as far as fighters go, but you could probably do better without a splat book helping you.
Dragon shaman, because the concept is stupid. I haven't even read the crunchy bits, because I wanted to burn it before I got that far.

I try not to play casters because I find myself throttling my effectiveness. The thought, "It can't really be that easy to win every time, can it?" keeps going through my head and I have to do something non-overpowering just to feel like I'm still playing D&D.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:45:55 PM by bihlbo »
Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori

Hida Reju

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 04:03:25 AM »
Favorite class:
Warmage - because
1. I like to reach out and turn things to dust.
2. I have a can opener for every type of can
3. I get all spells on my list without needing to depend on a DM allowing me to find a scroll for it.

I dislike Warmage because
1. Adding more than 4 new spells to my list requires either Divine magic or Multiclassing to all hell and gone.

My least liked class:
Hexblade - Poorly written as admitted by its own author.

Giblets

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:48 AM »
Since my group pretty much always play gestalt characters I should pick my favorite combo.  Gen. Warrior/ Cleric, makes the best paladin.

feyanor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »
Favorite: Warlock and Binder, weak overall, but just too cool in flavor.
             With Druid a close third, because he has the gishness built in class :)

Least Favorite: Rogue, because usually the wizard can do the real rogue stuff better.

g2tegracer

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
Favorite: For concept I love the Daggerspell Mage.  I love daggers and I love Wizards so ... ya.  For function, Wizard takes the cake for me, just too much fun.

Most reviled: Rogue actually.  The only real thing they bring is skills, and other classes can do it at least well enough.  Also, pain in the butt to fight as imo.  Also worrying about sneak attack this and that ... bleh.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »
Gotta say i love cleric and any other class that can get away with full casting while in full plate. Bonus points if its Arcane obviously.

Least favourite... hard to say but i think Sorcerer because its like wizard only not as good and we had no need for 2 full arcane casters in the PHB

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »
Gonna have to change my answer.  Arcane casters, either straight up in the form of an Elf Generalist Wizard, or gishy like a Battle Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Mafaxios

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
i would have to go with the warmage. it does what i like to do and does it well. also it's a fun class to roleplay in the sense your a caster who sits there acting like a surly old combat crazed fighter

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Duskblade: To me it's at the right level of power and I like how it majors in damage dealing and minors in debuffing if you build it right.

war_thog

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
Ranger.

Combat prowess, skill monkey ability, some casting.

Nice all round character that fills a primary role and plays a good backup to a few others.

I like being able to not suck in areas other than my primary focus :)

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 03:01:37 AM »
For flavour, I like Warlock, but for mechanics, a nice Wiz/Clr gestalt is great. Perfect necromancer. Pure either way works too.

I'm a bit spoiled though, I use a lot of FrankTrollman and K Tome stuff....