Author Topic: Your favorite class. Why?  (Read 8918 times)

Architect

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Wizardry
    • Email
Your favorite class. Why?
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »
This is strictly an opinion thread. The answer can be based off of playability, optimization-ability, flavor... whatever. I'd like to see what people see in certain classes. For extra credit, what's your least favorite class? Why?

Me, I absolutely love the factotum. It's flexibility, it's utility, it's limitless build synergy. In many ways, I see it as what the 3.5 rogue *should* have been (to an extent).

The rogue...  :twitch ...this class bothers me. Admittedly, its because of my experience with DM's who seem to love low-level zombie hunts. It's a good way to feel useless on the battlefield, not being able to stab/shoot someone's face off, you know. Utility-wise, a great class, though. I've just had bad experiences with them.
Is that a dog?
Yes.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Your favorite class. Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
Wizard is probably my favorite for the whole "After I finish my morning reading I will be able to kill you in more ways then you can imagine" amazingness. And the factotum comes in as a close second in just being the class for being an adventurer.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:30 AM »
The Factotum, Beguiler and Dread Necromancer, all because they're balanced classes that do their jobs very well without being overpowered and are fun to play.  The DN sadly has some glitches in the writing (duration of Fear Aura, for example, and a spell listed twice on their class list) but otherwise rocks.  All three have just enough flavor to really feel like what they're trying to be without forcing you down a specific path.

Though every once in a while I do like to cut loose with an Archivist or go crazy with a Commoner...

JaronK

Architect

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Wizardry
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »
The Factotum, Beguiler and Dread Necromancer, all because they're balanced classes that do their jobs very well without being overpowered and are fun to play.  The DN sadly has some glitches in the writing (duration of Fear Aura, for example, and a spell listed twice on their class list) but otherwise rocks.  All three have just enough flavor to really feel like what they're trying to be without forcing you down a specific path.

Though every once in a while I do like to cut loose with an Archivist or go crazy with a Commoner...

JaronK

Beguiler and DN are both AWESOME classes. I'd have to agree with you there.
Is that a dog?
Yes.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:51:12 AM »
Lightning Warrior, because I like having to work against the challenge of a hideously underpowered class.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:39:05 AM »
I love playing rogues(the best way to win is to never be known when you're coming), though mechanical issues means I always end up mixing it up with wizard so I can actually DO roguely things decently.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »
Warblade, for the fluff, viability of melee and general utility with a decent skill list and good manouvres.
As for a PrC: The Swiftblade: everything a Gish ought to be!

I can't stand Rogue and Assassin types, since those are almost invariably played by "sneaky" "smart" "tactical" players who don't know (and don't want to learn) a shit about actual D&D and can only care about "DPS" or "cool roleplay".

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
(the best way to win is to never be known when you're coming)
That made me lol.

I <3 Clerics, obviously.

My least favorite class is probably rogue from a flavor point and ranger from a mechanics point. I'm just not the skill-monkey type, it's like my Achilles heel in D&D. Rangers just make me sad.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »
It's hard to nail down to one favorite.  I can nail it down to two: warblades and wizards.  I've always liked fighters and wizards, and I think the warblade just does it better.  I like the fluff, I like the freedom of builds, and I like being able to simply smack someone in the face.  My only complaint is that some maneuvers are so much better than others that I end up taking them for all builds.  I have a similar feeling with wizards.  I've always liked the tactical aspect of the game, and I love having a handful of choices in front of me trying to figure out which one is the best.  Again though, some spells are so good that I always take them.

As for least favorite, that's too tough to nail down as well.  If I had to pick one, it would be the CW Samurai.  It was poorly executed in terms of game mechanics, and the developers narrowly focus your fluff to say "This is what a samaurai is.  Don't think outside of this stupid box."  Just play a warblade and be done with it.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »
Before the introduction of PHBII and ToB I'd probably have said Ranger was my favorite class.  It played well enough in my group and was fun flavor.

But since the advent I'd have to say it's a toss up between Warblades and Beguilers.  Of those two I think I like the Beguiler best and I've not even gotten to play one yet!!!!!  They just have such AWESOME flavor and flexibility without  the craziness (well, unless you look for it via Shadowcraft hehe).
Placeholder - T'tosc

Architect

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Wizardry
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »

As for least favorite, that's too tough to nail down as well.  If I had to pick one, it would be the CW Samurai.  It was poorly executed in terms of game mechanics, and the developers narrowly focus your fluff to say "This is what a samaurai is.  Don't think outside of this stupid box."  Just play a warblade and be done with it.

Oh gosh... :clap CW samurai. I had forgotten about that class. Thank you for that reminder. Samurai replaces rogue for my least favorite class.
Is that a dog?
Yes.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
My favorite class would be Psychic Warrior, with liberal application of Expanded Knowledge, of course.

As for my least favorite...Divine Mind or Lurk. They're both great ideas for classes, but the designers didn't follow through with the mechanics.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »

Oh gosh... :clap CW samurai. I had forgotten about that class. Thank you for that reminder. Samurai replaces rogue for my least favorite class.
You got me there as well. Though the Monk is mighty close.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
I've always been partial to Rangers.

For least favourite...  I've never really been interested in Clerics or Druids.  I know they're powerful as all hell *cough*overpowered*cough*, but they just don't really suit the characters I want to play.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:32:51 PM by j0lt »
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
Swordsage. Yes, I know it's the weakest of the ToB classes, but I REALLY like the character concepts you can pull off with it - not to mention the large variety of maneuvers you get access to. I once played a TWF swordsageX(3 at the time of the combo)/rogue1 with Stone Vice, Assassin's Stance, Shadow Jaunt, and Cloak of Deception. First round I'd teleport into melee combat with the guy, then hit him with Stone Vice. If he failed his save, sweet. He can't move. The next round looked like a Critical Hit by a Fire Emblem assassin. :P

Unfortunately, I couldn't use this technique all that much... nor could I play the Swordsage exactly how I wanted to. He was a GMPC, and I didn't want to steal the show from the players. @_@
I do believe, however, that my character using this combo in an arena match against the normal GM's character inspired his distaste for the ToB... >_>

As for my least-favorite class... It's really hard NOT to pick the CW samurai. It's a horrible class.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:39:32 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:45 AM »
My favorite is the Monk.  Because I like pulling a whole lot of awesome out of a pile of fail.  Though the Scout is close.  And so is the Crusader.  And Incarnate.  One of the most under appreciated classes ever.  Incarnates rock.

Least?  CW Samurai, for being the worst designed class ever.  Both mechanics and flavor wise.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Korimyr the Rat

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
Least?  CW Samurai, for being the worst designed class ever.  Both mechanics and flavor wise.

On the other hand, all their "frightful presence" shit? Goes a long way toward making the Marshal an impressive character in his own right. I'm winnowing down the number of base classes for my Gestalt game... and I'm discovering that you can almost always find a way to give some worthier class the dead classes' stuff.

My favorite class is Bard, followed by Warlock. I frequently play the two classes in some combination together.

Myou

• Noob
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »
I love wizard, when properly mixed with prestige classes. :3

My least favourite classes are probably the ones that introduce new mechanics like Incarnum or the thing with soulmelds (you can tell I'm a real expert), purely because it's more for me to learn. I make a exception for ToB classes though, I love them.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
Hah. I hadn't even thought of CW Samurai, almost like my mind was blocking out that trauma. :P
I'd prefer not to consider it a class, but if it was one, I'd replace it as the most disappointing mechanically.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
Favorite would be a tie between druids and wizards, both class have a lot of flavor, a lot of what I'm looking for in a build, and a lot of versatility :)

Least favorite: Monks, oooooooh how I hate them.....  stupid monks, I HATE YOU FOR MAKING ALL MY FAVORITE ACTION MOVIES SUDDENLY BECOME A PILE OF FAIL, CURSE YOU MONK, CURSE YOU!!!