Author Topic: Indie Games  (Read 1985 times)

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
Indie Games
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »
There is a lot of talk about D&D in this forum (considering all the WoTC dislike, it is kind of ironic) and not so much on other Trad games, and much less on the indie games. I was wondering if anyone has played any good indie games recently, like specific mechanics, or want to try an indie game but do not have an idea of how to go about it.

To start off, has anyone heard about the Creative Commons game codenamed Terminus Est? Link below. http://machineageproductions.com/

It is a post apocalyptic game that uses a d4. It revolves a lot around the Four Horsemen of biblical myth. I am personally very excited about this game.
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Indie Games
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
I've personally been trying out a variety of non-D&D games, both indie & not in an effort to find the game that'll best fit my groups needs right now. Latest games we've tried include Misspent Youth & Mouse Guard.

I'm off to read that link now, though. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
I've heard a lot of good about Misspent Youth. I'm planning on checking it out once I get my game finished.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:19:49 PM »
I have an actual play report on here somewhere (need to find time to put up my second)... As I understand it's still in the later stages of production, so you may have to contact Rob Bohl about it.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »
If you could find that, it would be appreciated.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Here is the thread with my first report. I'm hoping to get the second up today, pending not too much of a workload today. :P
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
We (the BG's) are more into Indie games right now than the bigger industry games.  The majority of the cons we go to are dedicated to indie games, and even at GenCon, that's where we spent our time, energy, and money.

As a group, we're playing Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard right now, with a semi-regular Misspent Youth group going as well.  We also use quite a few indie games as one-shots.

Are you looking for any specific suggestions?  Want to know if anyone has an opinion on a specific game?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
Anything really. Just trying to spread the indie love. I'm interested in how your Burning Wheel game has been going.

Eepop

• Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
We've been having a ton of fun with Alpha Omega. Its not perfect, but its got a lot of really cool aspects.

Upsides
-The way you determine what dice you roll is pretty cool. Kind of hard to explain, but its very neat.
-Characters have a very gradual power increase curve.  It does a "buy things with xp" system like WhiteWolf games, so you can give more xp if you want larger jumps or you can take it slower.
-The magic system is very open.  This has benefits and drawbacks obviously, but if you police it a bit it can work well.
-Game reacts very well to just playing under subsets of rules.  Not including something usually doesn't auto-break the game.

Downsides
-Very fiddly and math centered.  There are 7 "core qualities", then several "Secondary Qualities" that are averages of two core scores, then there are even some "Tertiary Qualities" that are averages of secondaries!
-Charts upon charts upon charts.
-The physical books are done in landscape mode.  Sometimes this is cool, usually its just annoying.
-I am not a huge fan of their default setting, but its not the worst I have seen.

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:59 AM »
Has anyone ever played XXXXtreme Street luge? It is free, and it is all about looking like Vin Diesel and shooting shit about the luge. It is a free short rpg found here:
http://playthisthing.com/xxxxtreme-street-luge
There is a link in the site to download it. It is not a game for long campaigns, but for a session or two, it is a brilliant transition between campaigns or adventures(runs, hunts, walks, whatever).