Author Topic: Star Wars SE Jedi advice?  (Read 3107 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Star Wars SE Jedi advice?
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
One of my players in our SWSE campaign is looking for ways to enhance his Jedi. Currently, he's a Jedi 3 Keldor, with Weapon Finesse, Force Training (Force Slam, Vital Transfer, Energy Absorption), Skill Training: Acrobatics  Strike and SF: UTF. His talents are UTF for Initiative and Block.

I'm giving him complete free reign for a rebuild, if he so desires. He'd like an Unarmed Jedi (cfr. Masters of the Sky from the Jedi Training Manual) or a Lightsabre Jedi. I think he likes the Lightsabre Pike very much. His objective is to tank/BFC/deal melee damage, in that order.

Please note that it has to be some sort of Jedi/Force Users, so no Soldier/EliteTrooper for example. (Dips are fine, ofcourse.) We use a 28 point buy.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:15:53 AM by GawainBS »

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
Re: Star Wars SE Jedi advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:24:04 PM »

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:27 AM »
The talent tree is in Treats of the Galaxy, after the Martial Artist NPC.  Flurry is in the KotOR book on page 33--check the "Special" line.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:04:19 AM »
One of my players in our SWSE campaign is looking for ways to enhance his Jedi. Currently, he's a Jedi 3 Keldor, with Weapon Finesse, Force Training (Force Slam, Vital Transfer, Energy Absorption), Skill Training: Acrobatics  Strike and SF: UTF. His talents are UTF for Initiative and Block.

I'm giving him complete free reign for a rebuild, if he so desires. He'd like an Unarmed Jedi (cfr. Masters of the Sky from the Jedi Training Manual) or a Lightsabre Jedi. I think he likes the Lightsabre Pike very much. His objective is to tank/BFC/deal melee damage, in that order.

Please note that it has to be some sort of Jedi/Force Users, so no Soldier/EliteTrooper for example. (Dips are fine, ofcourse.) We use a 28 point buy.

Thanks in advance!

For unarmed jedi, I'd recommend choosing Echani as the base race.  I'd also recommend dipping 3 levels of soldier for the armor talents if he wants to tank.

More later.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:32:56 AM »
We need a general Saga thread/handbook, really.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:18:27 AM »

I agree. But let's try to get this going. Thanks for the advice so far!

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »
Where are the Echani detailed as a base race?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »

I had actually started writing one a while back.

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »

I had actually started writing one a while back.

Pics or didn't happen!

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:53:07 AM »
Unarmed version:

Jedi 1/Soldier 2
Feats:
Martial Arts I (1st)
Force Sensitivity (bonus Jedi)
Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, simple weapons) (bonus Jedi)
One Soldier starting feat, any
Echani Style (bonus Soldier 2nd)
Force Training (3rd)

Talents:
Jedi 1: Choice. Purely mechanically, the Clone Wars Campaign Guide's High Impact talent for the Believers force tradition would work best- however, they're a Sith cult. Many of their actual talents don't appear to actually use the Dark Side, and you could try to make a case for having independently rediscovered the tech. By flavor, it looks like you ought to take Telekinetic Strike, which is kind of pants but won't kill ya. If you go the other way- start with Soldier and go into Jedi- you could pick up the Legacy Campaign Guide's Cortosis Gauntlet Block, which would be really interesting but lose you proficiency with lightsabers. That might be cool, producing an anti-Jedi sort of character.
Soldier 1: Hammer Blow

Force Powers: Convection (Jedi Academy)

This build focuses on pure offense- few special maneuvers or other fancy things, your unarmed strike just hits like a Mack truck. Hammer Blow lets you double your Strength bonus to attack rolls when making an unarmed strike and holding nothing in either hand: Echani Style lets you double your Strength bonus to damage, as well as offering a per-encounter knockdown attack, if you make no more than one more attack per round. So PUMP YOUR STRENGTH to the absolute maximum tenable: this gets disgusting on a Togorian but is still an incredible boost anywhere from 16 +3 on up. Convection allows you to add a variable number of d6es to your unarmed damage based on a UTF check, and sustain them over multiple rounds with a swift action.

Of course, if the complete re-build doesn't include ability scores, this isn't going to be terribly useful to you. Alternatively:

Jedi 1/Soldier 2
Feats:
Wary Defender (1st)
Force Sensitivity (bonus Jedi)
Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, simple weapons) (bonus Jedi)
One Soldier starting feat, any
Combat Reflexes (bonus Soldier 2nd)
Scum and Villiany's Opportunistic Retreat (3rd)

Talents:
Jedi 1: Block
Soldier 1: Scum and Villiany's Counterpunch

Skills: Train Acrobatics

This relies on a pair of tricks, the first really cheesy and the second only somewhat cheesy but still quite useful.
First trick: As long as you fight defensively, you're immune to up to (Dex mod + 1) melee attacks. Counterpunch gives you an AoO for every opponent that takes a swing at you in melee while you're fighting defensively- not hits and damages you, merely attacks you. Opportunistic Retreat allows you to move half your speed in lieu of an AoO. Move out of range- no more attack.
Second trick: Alternatively, depend on Block and the big increase to your Ref defense being trained in Acrobatics gets you to keep you out of trouble- immunity they ain't, but still quite sturdy in tandem- and AoO the enemy to death while remaining pristine yourself. For future advancement, look for all sorts of lightsaber Form talents and Force powers and Lightsaber Form powers that muck with attacks of opportunity and similar-but-not-consuming-a-precious-resource attacks when attacked as a reaction. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE- like half the Lightsaber Form powers.
Wary Defender is there, and worth it, because both of your fight strategies involve you fighting defensively all the time- so it's a free +2 to Will and Fort defenses most of the time, which is nice.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:23:45 AM by Toptomcat »

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »
I just read that is the newest splat book there is a Master Martial Artist PrC.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
For future advancement, look for all sorts of lightsaber Form talents and Force powers and Lightsaber Form powers that muck with attacks of opportunity and similar-but-not-consuming-a-precious-resource attacks when attacked as a reaction. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE- like half the Lightsaber Form powers.
Wary Defender is there, and worth it, because both of your fight strategies involve you fighting defensively all the time- so it's a free +2 to Will and Fort defenses most of the time, which is nice.

Jedi Training Academy, page 29.
Contentious Opportunity, Lighstaber Form Power.
Free action to activate when taking an AoO.
Scaling +X dice, the higher difficulty the more dice of damage, aswell as a force bonus to hit of you have the Makashi talent.

And yes, we do need a general thread.
Need to know if my gunsliger I'm so proud of is something to be proud of, just because it can kill Palpatine in one round.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
@toptomcat: how would you take these to lvl 5 and beyond?

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »
I'm not really sure what would be optimal for the Togorian beatstick beyond about level five. Four should be Soldier with EWP (Rakatan Vibro-Knucklers), 5 should be Soldier with Armor Proficiency (heavy) for an additional +4 equipment bonus to Strength, which Echani Style and Hammerblow help make ridiculous. Make the talent the Believers' High Impact: narrow flavor and potential Dark Side connection be damned, another +Strength to damage is simply too good to pass up.

Beyond that I'm not sure precisely what is precisely optimal, but I do have some ideas. Boost Strength with your level-up ability points always and forever.  Skill Focus (Use the Force) becomes tempting, to boost and maintain Convection and make High Impact more reliable. Consider Elite Trooper for Teras Kasi and other trees. Levels of Jedi Knight become tempting for Force Technique (Improved Convection), Force Power Mastery (Convection), and the ever-lovin' Force Point Recovery on the Force technique side and, hmmm, perhaps Combat Trance on the talent side.

More on the invinci-AoO build later. I'm bone-tired.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 02:04:45 AM »
First trick: As long as you fight defensively, you're immune to up to (Dex mod + 1) melee attacks. Counterpunch gives you an AoO for every opponent that takes a swing at you in melee while you're fighting defensively- not hits and damages you, merely attacks you. Opportunistic Retreat allows you to move half your speed in lieu of an AoO. Move out of range- no more attack.

You can only use Opportunistic Retreat to move once per round, unless there's some errata that I'm missing.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »
Toptomcat, would you mind telling which books you are using? I'm not that familiar with SWSE. At the moment, we've only got the PHB, Starships, Scum & Villainy, Old Republic and Jedi Manual. I'm willing to buy others, though.