Author Topic: Campaign Direction  (Read 3059 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Campaign Direction
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:35 AM »
That's the gist of it. There's a bit more to it, so pay attention:

If you vote, please reply with a ratio. If you reply, please post an idea of what genre you would like this game to be (Drama, horror, etc).

Remember, this is a somewhat serious campaign setting (Sharn did just freaking collapse on your asses).

The reason I'm asking you guys this is twofold: 1) It helps keep the campaign interesting, and allows you to post more often. 2) I've noticed that my other PbP campaign has 16 pages worth of text, but IC it's only been half a day and 3 encounters. That's kinda massive. If it is a Combat-oriented campaign, we can at least expect it to be paced similarly.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Campaign Direction
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 02:58:55 AM »
I think combat should be fairly regular, but shouldn't overwhelm the storytelling capacity of this campaign. I'd say the ration would be, what, 60:40, RP to combat? I'm not sure how that really translates. Technically, I guess it might even lean closer to 70:30, given how little space combat might take up comparatively.

As far as tone, I always thought Sharn was primarily best for pulp-noir, but pulp-occult works really well too. I don't mind genre-crossing, as a story such as this would likely involve quite a few. Definitely plenty of drama, and of course with the trauma and evil machinations of the situation, a touch of horror/thriller is expected as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:02:55 AM by VennDygrem »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
I... really have no input to make on the combat/RP ratio. There need to be mysteries though (Dragon once complained that every Eberron adventure they got was a murder mystery :lol). Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the teams vote separately? :p They don't need to have the same play-style.

Maybe each combat could take place in its own thread to make the main story thread easier to catch up on? (and deal with PCs going off on their own)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:04:13 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:20 AM »
I think the statistics speak for themselves. 50:50 :P
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »
I... really have no input to make on the combat/RP ratio. There need to be mysteries though (Dragon once complained that every Eberron adventure they got was a murder mystery :lol). Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the teams vote separately? :p They don't need to have the same play-style.

Maybe each combat could take place in its own thread to make the main story thread easier to catch up on? (and deal with PCs going off on their own)

That's a good idea. I'll do that. Combat will be held in a separate thread from the main story.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
I'm gonna play the evuhl powah gamah and say moar combat. This is PbP after all, every post can contain as much or as little RP as we like.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »
I'm going to say somewhere between 50:50 and 60:40 for RP:Combat.  I wouldn't have a problem with more combat as long as there is a cohesive storyline and a reason why we're fighting everything.  Paraas doesn't kill indiscriminately. (he has perfectly justifiable reasons) :P

As for genre, I'll play anything.  Except romance, none of that!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
I'd also prefer a slight skew in the favour of RP. I'm not proposing a ratio though.

Really, I think this setting lends itself best to more gritty, mature games than a high fantasy setting would.

Does this mean IC Indesicive will start soon?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »
I'm in favor of RP over combat (yes, yes, I know I'm a Warblade). Although I'm not sure about pulp-noir when the city just collapsed.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:02:15 AM »
I was just commenting on the genre that eberron stories usually encompass. If this were pulp-noir, the story would be centered on investigating who collapsed the city and why, with a long trail and few obvious leads. And a dwarf smoking a cigar telling us to get out of his office because we're sticking our noses into business where they don't belong. :D

Honestly, I'm good for just about anything.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
I'd also prefer a slight skew in the favour of RP. I'm not proposing a ratio though.

Really, I think this setting lends itself best to more gritty, mature games than a high fantasy setting would.

Does this mean IC Indesicive will start soon?

Is Takanaki finished with his character?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
It was finished over a month ago, the direction i'd like for this to head is fooooorwwwaaaarrrdsssss

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
It was finished over a month ago, the direction i'd like for this to head is fooooorwwwaaaarrrdsssss

Your last post in the OOC thread seemed to indicate that you wanted to change some things about your character, I just thought you were still working on it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »
Nope, if I want a new character i'll finish it while the campaign is moving and then find a nice cliff for myself to jump off of =p

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
Nope, if I want a new character i'll finish it while the campaign is moving and then find a nice cliff for myself to jump off of =p
Or just commit seppuku. Samurai and all...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:28:21 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »

With explosives and sharp rocks at the bottom?

Just to clarify, your character does have the steroetypical warrior's ponytail, right?
I know someone else must get the joke here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 09:07:31 AM »
She would have uncut hair going all down her back, so more or less yes but not in a ponytail. I don't know for sure but I figure tying it in a ponytail was more of a convenience thing, long hair gets in the way. As it's DnD though my hair will always stay exactly in place just like in a typical rpg.

Rayth Molba

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
I think I'd favor RP more than combat, probably around 60:40.