Author Topic: Best Spells to channel?  (Read 2202 times)

idontmuchcareforit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Best Spells to channel?
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
Google failed me.

Is there a compilation of really good spells to channel?

I'm playing a duskblade, going into Suel Archanamach and I'm looking for some good first second or third level arcane spells to channel.

No campaign setting material, no dragon, no incarnum (not that it really matters).  Preferably core stuff or spell compendium stuff.

I appreciate anything you can contribute!

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Best Spells to channel?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:11:02 PM »
If I recall correctly, Duskblades can only channel Duskblade spells (which are fixed in PHBII).

This handbook here is pretty good about pointing out the better spells.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »
By RAW, the Duskblade can channel any spell that he knows.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 01:32:53 AM »
By RAW, the Duskblade can channel any spell that he knows.

Which is why a 3 level duskblade dip is pretty good. I've always wanted to try a Factotum 1/Duskblade 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Chameleon 10

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
Can't go wrong with Shivering Touch, from Frostburn. Hand out 3d6 Dex damage with no save? Sign me the hell up.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
Can't go wrong with Shivering Touch, from Frostburn. Hand out 3d6 Dex damage with no save? Sign me the hell up.
One of the few compelling arguments out there for Sudden Maximize.  Though, if you're pulling out Shivering Touch, a weapon attack is probably pointless since the plan is generally to defeat the enemy through Dex damage alone, not HP damage, rendering channeling rather redundant.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »
Depending on your DM you might be able to channel reserve feats fuelled by your duskblade spells. With shout you qualify for Clap of Thunder - it's not a lot of damage, but it's at-will.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
Depending on your DM you might be able to channel reserve feats fuelled by your duskblade spells. With shout you qualify for Clap of Thunder - it's not a lot of damage, but it's at-will.
That sounds far-fetched. You have any rules that indicate such a thing should be possible?

idontmuchcareforit

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
I hate to make this even more difficult, but suel arcanamach doesn't get evocation or conjuration or necromancy, which are the three biggest schools for doing damage, nor do they gain enchantment.  They do get transmutation though, which could be pretty powerful...?  I don't have too much experience in this department, usually my casters try to avoid touch attacks  ;)

I'm necessarily looking to do damage though, any powerful spell though would be good to channel would be helpful.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:08:15 PM by idontmuchcareforit »

shalandar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
If your DM allows it...you can use the Drake Helm, from Eberron Explorer's Handbook, p 151, to add any single spell from the wizard/sorcerer spell list to your spells KNOWN list.  (approximate cost, 1000 for helm, then varies for spell levels)

The second level spell of Combust (spell compendium, p 50) will deal 1d8 / level fire damage (max 10d8) with no save...for a cost of 10k using the Helm.  If you throw in an Empowered Spellshard (MiC, p 96) for the spell (3k), you can empower it 3 / day as well.

That's the best "cheap" way I have figured out to add a spell (and empower it).  Throw in some stupid things like a spellstoring weapon, some other spells with empowered spellshards (since empowering it with the spellshard doesn't change the level), and that first hit can be enough to kill most things at mid level baring resistances.