Author Topic: Fun with Awaken Undead...  (Read 8200 times)

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Fun with Awaken Undead...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:25:04 AM »
Got a template that makes its recipient an animal, humanoid, plant, or vermin? If so, symbiotic template is what you want for damage immunity. The only template I know of that works, though, is the Yellow Musk Zombie template, which has the notable drawback of making your precious monstrosities explode after a few days.

Dustform -> Incarnate Construct would do the right type change, but get rid of all those abilities.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
Are they any juicy bonuses for taking an intelligent undead and templating it into unintelligence? If so this might be good for an already intelligent undead! (and no I don't think we could rinse and repeat. It would just be a neat trick.)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
Got a template that makes its recipient an animal, humanoid, plant, or vermin? If so, symbiotic template is what you want for damage immunity. The only template I know of that works, though, is the Yellow Musk Zombie template, which has the notable drawback of making your precious monstrosities explode after a few days.
Blightspawned from UE makes animals into plants, and eventually intelligent juju zombies all on its own (does the same with plants).

Greenbound from Lost Empires of Faerun makes things into plants.  It can be applied to animals, fey, giants, humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and vermin.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 01:04:49 AM »
Well, in that case, you'll want a Greenbound Wendigo Avalancher to be combined with your Soulfused X Greenbound Zodar. X has to be an acquired template that makes its target eligible for Greenbound, or sets it up to be so. An idea's forming as to what we can do about that (incidentally, this idea actually makes this discussion on-topic), but I need an acquired template that can be applied to "any corporeal creature" or "any living corporeal creature" and type shifts it to something Greenbound or Wendigo can be applied to.

Wendigo is "animal, giant, humanoid, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid"

Please assume the type pyramid is being disregarded, though.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
So, I was perusing Monsters of Faerun yesterday, and I came across the Revenant template, which makes an Undead that has Regeneration 3 (overcome by fire).  Granted, this is a 3.0 book, but there have been undead with regeneration. (Though the 3.5 update PDF to Monsters of Faerun changed this to fast healing... sort of.  It changed it to fast healing that won't heal fire damage.)

The template makes the creature immune to all energy damage but fire, so basically (ignoring the idea that regeneration "damage" is nonlethal) it could only be hurt by fire, but it could be temporarily slowed down (ie-incapacitated) by beating it with a stick, after which you burn it.  But, even under 3.0 rules, it effectively made it immune to all damage but fire.

So, it's not completely unheard of...  :p
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
So, I was perusing Monsters of Faerun yesterday, and I came across the Revenant template, which makes an Undead that has Regeneration 3 (overcome by fire).  Granted, this is a 3.0 book, but there have been undead with regeneration. (Though the 3.5 update PDF to Monsters of Faerun changed this to fast healing... sort of.  It changed it to fast healing that won't heal fire damage.)

The template makes the creature immune to all energy damage but fire, so basically (ignoring the idea that regeneration "damage" is nonlethal) it could only be hurt by fire, but it could be temporarily slowed down (ie-incapacitated) by beating it with a stick, after which you burn it.  But, even under 3.0 rules, it effectively made it immune to all damage but fire.

So, it's not completely unheard of...  :p
Aren't the 3.5 ones literally impossible to kill though?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]