Author Topic: "Experienced Player" Classes a Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 970 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
"Experienced Player" Classes a Good or Bad Idea?
« on: September 07, 2009, 02:07:46 AM »
I'm currently working on an RPG based on the D20 system, but heavily modified from it. Now that I've made a few classes for it, I've come to the realization that some classes are much more complicated than others. One of the classes I'm making, which has a similar feel to an artificer and an Incarnate feels rather complex compared to the others I've made - granted that could be because I've recently decided to use a talent-tree system for it instead of a D&D-like advancement system and I haven't upgraded the other classes to it... but I still think it's going to require a bit more knowledge of the system to play the class right.

My question is this: should I try and cut down a little on the complexity of the class and sacrifice a large bit of its uniqueness, should I stamp a "experienced player class" note on it, or should I just leave it as-is?

I can imagine it's difficult to answer this question without seeing the class, but I'd prefer not to post it yet. It's a little more complicated than the D&D wizard (casting system, focus-creation point system, and talents.)
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: "Experienced Player" Classes a Good or Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:07 AM »
Hm... it depends slightly on what you mean. As long as the complexity doesn't make it more powerful than other characters, then I'd say go ahead and slap the "experienced" label on it to make sure people who play it know what they're getting into.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Re: "Experienced Player" Classes a Good or Bad Idea?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
Nah, it's not about the power of the class. It's the number of systems I'm using to pull off the feel I'm going for.

Most of the other classes are: Magic/Attacks+talents
This one is: Magic+talents+point system

Because the point system of the complicated class is actually more of a tie-in to its magic system, it shouldn't do much to unbalance the game. It's mostly there for customization purposes.
I might make a speedy 3.5 compatible version to give you guys a better idea of what's going on with it.

Then again, I might end up asking you guys to take a look at the first draft of the whole project when it's done. Maybe I'll do both.

Thanks for your answer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:25:26 AM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.