Author Topic: Lesser Planar Binding the Nightmare  (Read 2713 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Lesser Planar Binding the Nightmare
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »
So, this assumes that you're able to successfully planar bind a Nightmare. It isn't too hard, as long as you do your homework. I noticed it as I was perusing minions for my Malconvoker.

Nightmares have 6HD, so you can planar bind them at level 10 as a malconvoker, or level 9 as a straight wizard.

They have Astral Projection as a Su ability. Nothing in it mentions it being used as self-only, and they're smart enough that you can tell them to project your friends. They have a CL of 20 when using it.

Since it's a Su ability, it doesn't have material components. Whee, you just saved 1,000 gp or more! Oh, also, since it's normally a 9th level spell, you've gotten access to it 7 or 8 levels too soon. Woo!

Okay, so what's the deal with Astral Projection? It's the perfect "extra guy" spell. When you project astrally, your normal body becomes suspended. You can project FROM the astral to any plane, creating a new body on the new plane. That body has your equipment (but it's just a copy). If you're killed on this plane, you just pop back to your original body.

Even worse, the mechanics for projecting from the astral back to the PM are unclear. Do you just get a normal extra guy? Many people think so, but it's at best an AYDM thing.

So, yeah, astral projection is cool. But natch, it oughta be cool: it's a 9th-level spell. It's just that it happens to be usable at will (!) by a 6 HD outsider. Time to start figuring out how lesser planar binding works.

Farodin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Lesser Planar Binding the Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
Um... yes, they are incredibly good for lesser planar binding. Wasn't that common knowledge for ages now?
I own your soul now.
I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind - cast down into the halls of the blind.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
Just came to my attention.

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:22:28 PM »
It IS a well known trick... On another board. Here, I don't see it written anywhere :D

Gotta start thinking of BG as a different place, man.

Anyway, lesser planar binding. Have you seen the Malkonvoker guide by Treantmonklvl20? Great stuff about binding spells there...

Here is a trick to bind high charisma creatures taken from said handbook:

Quote from: Treantmonklvl20 awesome guide
Binding the Succubus: Treantmonk's guide:

So you want to bind a Succubus, but the 26 CHA scares you? Here's what you do (lets assume you are a conjurer with a 10 CHA):

You are at least 8th level - so pony up the 4,500 and get a circlet of persuasion.
Cast Magic Circle against evil. Use Spellcraft to fortify it.
Cast Lesser Planar Binding - call the Succubus.

Cast a Geas on her first thing. "Drink a glass of water from the pitcher over there." Point to a pitcher outside the circle. Wait 4 days.

Cast Eagle's splendor before you return.

Now hit her with Bestow Curse. Her saves are currently at -8 (total will save -1). As long as you peirce SR you are golden (if not - cast again!). Suddenly her saves/checks are at -12

Now hit her with Cause Fear. Now she's frightened (or shaken if by some miracle she saves). Her ability checks are now at -14

Time to propose a deal. No reason to make it lovely. Ask her to serve you for the remainder of the spell - to follow all your commands, in both word and intent, to never take action that could harm you, and to give you her true name. - and she will be released at the end of the spell. This is a crappy deal for her - so you get no bonus to negotiation.

Her negotiate modifier: -6
Your negotiate modifier: +5

You should win.

If there's any doubt - go ahead and pony up 3000 gp for a Moment of Prescience scroll. It's a one shot deal - but the additional +16 to your roll makes this a sure thing.

Once she agrees -drop the cause fear, the curse, and the circle (so she can have her drink of water). She's back to normal.

Now you give her the warning. "I know your true name now - if you ever screw me over - during the duration of the spell, or afterwards - I'll use it to summon you again. I'll also cast again and summon an IMP. I'll give the imp this deal - "do whatever you want to this succubus for the duration of the spell - and I expect nothing in return.", you'll be defensless in one of those circles you were just in, but I'll let him out of his, I expect the Imp will take the deal - I get the impression they have LOADS of built up hostility."

Have loads of fun breaking the game now :P
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm running a Malconvoker right now. I've been sticking with a Bearded Devil for the time being. The funny thing is none of my Malconvoker abilities (at MC5) really help with the binding yet, so anyone who had the spell could do what I'm doing. I'm waiting until next level, when I can use bluff to give the succubus a -5 on her roll before I really try things out.

Even worse, there's really nothing in the rules that say you can't have more than one demon bound at a time, as far as I can see. What's better than a succubus? Two!