Author Topic: Shadowcraft Mage Handbook  (Read 109230 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Shadowcraft Mage Handbook
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
One thing I just recently stumbled upon is the Spell Rehearsal feat in RotD.
Benefit: The Spell Rehearsal feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers. You can only apply one maneuver at a time to a single spell.
Persistence: To use this maneuver, you must cast a specific spell two or more times in succession, and the spell must be one that allows affected creatures or objects a saving throw. You can take a move action after casting the spell once before casting it again, but you cannot take any other standard actions between successive castings. On the second and subsequent times you cast the spell, you add a cumulative +1 to the spell's save DC. If you cast any other spell after starting to use this feat or take any other standard action, the persistence chain breaks and you must begin anew.
Synergizes well with Residual Magic and provides a cumulative +1 to the DC of your Silent Images every time you cast them in a row.

Unholy Pelor's Burning Hate, that is fucking PRICELESS.  Every spell from 0th up is a Shadow Miracle = DC's to rival a Tainted Sorcerer O.o
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
One thing I just recently stumbled upon is the Spell Rehearsal feat in RotD.
Benefit: The Spell Rehearsal feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers. You can only apply one maneuver at a time to a single spell.
Persistence: To use this maneuver, you must cast a specific spell two or more times in succession, and the spell must be one that allows affected creatures or objects a saving throw. You can take a move action after casting the spell once before casting it again, but you cannot take any other standard actions between successive castings. On the second and subsequent times you cast the spell, you add a cumulative +1 to the spell's save DC. If you cast any other spell after starting to use this feat or take any other standard action, the persistence chain breaks and you must begin anew.
Synergizes well with Residual Magic and provides a cumulative +1 to the DC of your Silent Images every time you cast them in a row.

Unholy Pelor's Burning Hate, that is fucking PRICELESS.  Every spell from 0th up is a Shadow Miracle = DC's to rival a Tainted Sorcerer O.o

Wow, It works on spells cast from items like wands as well!!!
Placeholder - T'tosc

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
Well to be fair you're still limited by the amount of spells you have and the time it takes to cast them until you get to sufficient DCs.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
Well to be fair you're still limited by the amount of spells you have and the time it takes to cast them until you get to sufficient DCs.

Echoing Spell, Miser With Magic, Chaotic Spell Recall, Persistent Time Stop...I have all the time and spells I need :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »
Now... if you're making multiple Simulacrums at no cost via Shadow Miracle...

In addition to Epic Spell mitigation etc etc etc...

Check out using/duplicating the Transfusion spell (Drag Mag 339 78) to cast upon those Simulacrums

(lasts either 10 min/CL or 1 min/CL before metamagic)
    ...boost a chosen stat with an unnamed bonus that is equal to 50% of the stat penalty incurred on another = 1d6 + 1/3 CL (1d6+5 max)
    (penalty cannot reduce subject's stat below 1)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:23:39 AM by Andion Isurand »

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »

Echoing Spell, Miser With Magic, Chaotic Spell Recall, Persistent Time Stop...I have all the time and spells I need :)

I wouldn't waste the feat slots if you can use a Shadow Miracle to duplicate the effects of a Twinned Theller's Argauneau (equivalent to a lvl 7 spell)...
...to refresh the spell itself and any one other.  Just need a shriveled, preserved nugget of a red dragon egg to fulfill the spell's target line... and the means of duplication in this instance means you can ignore the material component portion of the spell.

===== http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030226a =====

Theller's Argauneau
    Necromancy
    Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 full round
    Range: Touch
    Target: One red dragon egg
    Duration: Instantaneous or 1 hour/level (see text)
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: No (object)

You drain the life energy from a red dragon egg and absorb it into yourself, which may be used for several purposes.

Healing: Heal 5d6 points of damage as if a cure spell were cast on you. This has an instantaneous duration.

Ability Boost: +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, Constitution, and Charisma, lasting 1 hour per caster level.

Refresh Spell: Regain one cast spell or used spell slot of any level you can cast, similar to a pearl of power except that bards, sorcerers, and similar casters can also benefit from it. This has an instantaneous duration.

A dragon egg is treated as an object, not a creature, and it does not get a saving throw against the spell unless it is in the possession of a creature (and therefore uses the normal saving throw rules for objects in the possession of a creature). If you are not a creature of the type "dragon," you must succeed at a Fortitude saving throw (DC 14) when you cast this spell; failure means you gain no benefit from the spell, take 3d6 points of damage, and are nauseated for 1 round from the sudden influx of incompatible life energy.

Material Component: A red dragon egg containing a living red dragon embryo, worth 2,000 gp.

=======================================================
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:55:17 AM by Andion Isurand »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
i know warlock can enter the class but there was a question on how useful it could be be based on not having any illusion invocations. Has there been any discussion on using the major image left by flee the scene for this?

I'm considering trying to use this in an e6 game for some versatility. Looking again at the prc I guess this wouldn't be possible in e6. May still prove of some use in higher level games.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:37:14 PM by Cagemarrow »

ILM

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »
So, how do you fly and still retain the benefit of Earth Spell? Aside from the old dirt in the boots trick (I mean, seriously?) and Tenser's Floating Disk.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:17 AM »
So, how do you fly and still retain the benefit of Earth Spell? Aside from the old dirt in the boots trick (I mean, seriously?) and Tenser's Floating Disk.

Acorn of Far Travel does the trick nicely.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »

Greater Floating Disk is exactly what I use, with a block of stone or a chunk of dirt on it.

JaronK

ILM

« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

Acorn of Far Travel does the trick nicely.

Well that's the thing, not really.
As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain). Whenever you cast a spell that has additional effects when cast in forested terrain (such as deadfall, creaking cacophony, fey ring, or splinterbolt), you can choose to use the acorn as an additional material component for that spell.
While I agree the editing was - again - terrible and that the RAW seems clear, the above quoted part clearly states: "as long as you carry the acorn, you're considered to be standing in an area of forested terrain. If you cast a spell that has an additional effect when cast in forested terrain, you can use the acorn to gain that effect even if you're not actually in forested terrain." You have to admit it makes no sense. If I'm always considered to be in forested terrain, then why should I use the acorn to get an effect I'm already getting by default?

Therefore, it seems to me that the intent (and I know how much we hate the word) here is that the first part of your quoted part is actually fluff, and the only mechanically relevant part happens when you use the acorn as part of a casting. Which doesn't help with Earth Spell.

Unless there's another interpretation I'm not seeing here.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
The other interpretation is that they are two uses of the acorn. A passive "You are considered under your tree" and a consumable component to be in forested terrain.

Hand_of_Vecna

• Email
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »
So I was just flipping through old books and found Primitive spellcasting. The feat let's you add add verbal somatic and material components to spells that don't already have them and raises the effective level of your spell by one for each component added. So, that's one spell level for material and maybe another for adding verbal after you get the silent illusions feature, not sure about the legality of applieing silent spell for free then adding the verbal component back in.

Just thought I'd pop in and share.

Oh, the added material component is "a rare plant found in the forest with a successful profession (herbalist) check DC 15. Should be easy enough to gather in down time early on and hire someone to pick later.

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
So I was just flipping through old books and found Primitive spellcasting. The feat let's you add add verbal somatic and material components to spells that don't already have them and raises the effective level of your spell by one for each component added. So, that's one spell level for material and maybe another for adding verbal after you get the silent illusions feature, not sure about the legality of applieing silent spell for free then adding the verbal component back in.

Just thought I'd pop in and share.

Oh, the added material component is "a rare plant found in the forest with a successful profession (herbalist) check DC 15. Should be easy enough to gather in down time early on and hire someone to pick later.

It was changed in Frostburn, to boost the caster level by 1, for each added component.