Author Topic: Team Evil: IC Thread  (Read 5762 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Team Evil: IC Thread
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Bold will be narration. Italics will be actions. Normal text is meta-info, and regards skill checks or effects that produce information. Colored text is speech.

Eyre 13th, 998. 72 hours after the collapse.

Skyway's collapse wrought havoc throughout the districts, but the Upper Wards took the hardest blow. Luck, fate, whatever, for one reason or another the five of you had found your way to the center of the Upper Ward just minutes before the Skyway fell. Be it a miracle or death's way of mocking you, the five of you survived the impact and subsequent collapse of the Upper Ward. Now, the entire center of Sharn lies beneath the Cogs, slowly boiling in the molten rock below. What started as a stroll through the Upper Ward for whatever reasons you may have has suddenly become an effort to escape the ruined section alive.

Surrounded by debris, you each slowly regained consciousness within a block of each other. There are signs of people who have been crushed to death all around you, and several possible exits. Heat is slowly beginning to build up, but the remains of the city are providing insulation and protection, though how long it lasts is anyone's guess. A thin veil of fog fills the air, and each time you breath it in it feels like something is stabbing you in the diaphragm. There's something sinister behind this fog...

Major restrictions: Teleportation is hindered. All spells with the Teleport descriptor have their range lowered one stage (Long to Medium, etc). Teleportation spells with no listed range or a range not described as Long, Medium, Short, or a range expressed specifically in 5ft increments (such as Dimension Hop) do not function. Planar Travel is currently being suppressed.

Anyone with one of these spells on their spells known or in their spellbook may exchange such spells at this point for ones of equal level. Once the first encounter begins, the choices are final and cannot be altered.

All effects with a duration not expressed in a value of Days/level or longer have expired. You have had time to prepare new ones, and may take 10 minutes or so to erect new buff effects to replace the old ones. Essentially, it is a new day with no active abilities beyond long-duration effects (such as Contingency).

Players who need to prepare spells or similar abilities are asked to post their list in the OOC thread, not the IC one, to reduce clutter.

Each PC is within line of sight of the other four PCs. Whether you recognize each other or not is up to the group (though doing so makes it easier to RP). The area you are currently standing in is approximately 500ft in diameter, with varying amounts of terrain, several broken buildings, etc. There isn't a ceiling, but the heat from the lava pools will make flying straight up a tad dangerous. There's also no telling what's around you without scouting out the area somehow, so flying may result in encounters.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Team Evil: IC Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:20:46 AM »
The kalashtar lying on the ground could have been mistaken for a corpse, and indeed felt like one at this particular moment. It feels like the Skyway fell right onto my head. Taking a dirt nap sounds good to me. The chunks of rubble under Sevharath felt nothing like a pillow, however, and he eventually rolled to one side and pushed himself to a standing position, swaying slightly. From this new vantage point, the tall kalashtar scanned the ruined city block with a critical eye. No obvious threats stood out, as most of the block's inhabitants were either dead or close to it. Sev ran a hand through his hair, which was matted with sweat and dust (though the latter did not change the color any). This isn't good. All this heat is building up very slowly. I'm standing inside Sharn's biggest oven right now, and I don't feel particularly like a cake.

Something seemed to occur to the kalashtar then, and he glanced around sharply, stepping over piles of rubble and peering around. Finally, the object he was looking for looked up at him through the gap between a dwarf's corpse and the remnants of what had presumably been a wall. Hoisting the dwarf into the air and tossing it aside casually, Sev plucked a wide-brimmed black hat up from the ground and dusted it off. He lowered it almost reverentially onto his head, noticing a familiar face some distance away. Good, I'm not the only one who lived through that. Let's see if we can leave the district with a little more subtlety than we entered it with. The kalashtar picked his way through the chaos towards his acquaintance.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
Mann lay stunned silly in a heap of rubble in his natural form, a massive slab of marble flooring barely avoiding crushing him dead by inches, while his small grey mephit him hovered, unhurt, just above. Features and clothing rearranging themselves to Mann d'Orien, scholar and dilettante, he shakes off the confusion from being brained, by, of all things, a falling flowerpot."It seems flight alone was not sufficient to evade a collapse of this magnitude. Next time I do this will be with a reductor spell and reflex enhancers...Blest, Parrot." The mephit perches on Mann's, rearranging in an arc of transmuting light as the pet took the appearance of something more suitable for meeting people. Mann then snapped a finger, the dust, dirt and grime littering his clothing bursting off in a plume from the elementary cantrip. Now he was fit for company. Plucking the wilted, but miraculously intact blossom from the shattered pot that coshed him, Mann brightened the blue flower somewhat as he tucked it into a collar. Looking about the scene of carnage, he whistled.

Sighting someone familiar moving nearby, he picked his way through the rubble, appearing fit for a party despite the surroundings, though a beautiful bruise was already developing on his forehead. A familiar form is best, lest someone decides to jump the wand and shoot first.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »
A slab of marble is shoved aside, and from the pile of rubble beneath a man climbs out. He looks severely injured, bones jutting from his skin at certain points and blood flowing from his body. As he makes his way towards the other survivors, using his sword to keep himself upright,  his flesh seems to heal at a supernatural rate, bones realigning, cuts closing and blood that stops flowing.

"Wow, did any of you guys see that coming?" he asks with a somewhat masochistic grin as he approaches the other survivors he's apparently known for at least a little while.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:02:09 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »
As Paraas returns the consciousness, he looks around, taking stock of himself and his surroundings.  He slowly sits up, thankful that for once his semi-ascetic lifestyle is working in his favor.  He quickly manifests and dismisses his mind blade, glad that whatever brought down the Skyway hasn't made him lose the only possession that he truly cares about.  

Closing his eyes and meditating for a short time, Paraas centers himself.  He then looks around, and upon seeing a few familiar faces moving towards each other he stands up and starts to weave his way through the rubble and corpses towards them.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
A single gnome rises from the rubble, crawling out from under a boulder roughly his size. He stands up and clibs a different boulder nearby with some difficulty, overlooking the area dispassionately. He pays no heed to the dust on his clothing - though it is barely noticeable on the simple, uniformly gray cloth - or the bleeding wound on his forehead. Though several features of the gnome are unusual, nothing in particular stands out to the casual observer - a contradiction that the mind nevertheless does not find distressing and readily ignores. Not too far away, a small draconic shape squeezes out from between two broken marble flagstones and shakes its head. Hey, aren't those your friends? That fop with the parrot is smart enough to be that other wizard... uh, what's his name? The muscled guy over there seems stupid enough to be, uh... that other guy. The meatshield. Yes, I noticed. As their mental conversation goes on, the gnome sits down on his boulder and nods his head to each of the others in acknowledgement. Then, he looks again at the corpses of those who weren't so lucky. "Poor quality. Bones likely broken. No particularly interesting shapes. Useless to me." The gnome's voice is hushed, barely a whisper, and it carries a slight hint of disdain, not for his friends but for the broken bodies strown about the ground.

[spoiler]Normal text is fluff, italics is thoughts/telepathy, bolded is speech, OOC and actions are in spoiler blocks. Orange text is gnome's familiar, teal is gnome hiomself. Feel free to come up with a nickname for either.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
Sevharath strides over, shaking his head at the other kalashtar as he does. "Kan, you're supposed to dodge the rocks. I mean, do you enjoy having your bones regrown every day or two?" He winces as one snaps back together with a sickening pop. "You know what, don't answer that." The slimmer of the two kalashtar warriors performs a rapid check of the surrounding area. "Null, Paaras, Mann--good, none of you died. I think," he adds, casting a quick look at the gnome. "It's hard to tell with you sometimes. Now, anyone have any tactical insight to shed on this?"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
"From the looks of it," the gnome replies, casting a look upwards at the sky, "Skyway collapsed on inner city. Either through dispelling of what held it in the air or through disruption of the manifest zone in Sharn, most likely. In the latter case, all or most of the city should have collapsed." After sniffing the air a little, he adds, "Filter masks may be needed. Air full of dust. Heat rising. We may be sinking into lava pits under the city. Will take a while. Until then, we can ward ourselves from heat with magic. Will have to get out of here soon, though." Looking at Mann, he notes, "Speaking of magic, we need to prepare."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:41:41 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 07:04:37 AM »
"An oversight to miss those. I must admit I'm lacking in spells against heat or toxin, save by transforming myself. Or crawling up an extradimensional hole. The latter of which, I'm not sure we'd like what we see when we come back out, given the ambient heat at present." Mann casts a spell as he speaks, hands moulding the shape of an invisible suit of armor around his body. "Now, does anyone have a blunt weapon to enhance before we leave?" Mann coughs, "I don't think I like the feel of the air here."
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »
Paaras shakes his head softly and quietly says,  "It does not matter how it happened, someone passed judgement on these people and found them wanting."  He looks around, scanning for anything that would help to shield him from the environment as his simple clothes will offer no protection. 
Notes to self

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
"Kan, you wanna take this one, or shall I?", asks Sev, pointing at Mann.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
"It matters," the gnome contradicts Paaras firmly, but he doesn't elaborate. He seems to be entirely subsumed in his meditation, or whatever he's doing.

Meanwhile, Sevharath's question is answered by a voice in his head, aping the sound of Kan's voice. Sure thing, uh... buddy. What were we going to do again?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 07:04:49 AM »
"Kan, you wanna take this one, or shall I?", asks Sev, pointing at Mann.

"You take it, I have my sword." Kan replies to his ally.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
Blinking at the almost simultaneous replies from Kan and the voice in his head, Sev opens his mouth, but closes it without comment, seeing that Kan appears oblivious to the odd occurrence. Instead, he walks over to Mann and extends an open hand, palm facing downwards. Eyes closed, he says, "Alright, I'm ready. Go ahead." The kalashtar appears unnaturally calm, breathing controlled and even.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Mann nods, dipping a finger in an inkpot, he traced whorls in a tingling, glittery pattern on Sev's hand, then sealed it with a rune of power. Swirling in a black ink, spiral patterns marked a second formation, focusing upon a focal point in the center, with a rune of size marking the center. Then, incanting under his breath, the runes disappeared from view, sinking invisibly into skin with a slight burning as they took effect, the tingling of power spreading from the point of origin to every possible impact surface on the body.

[spoiler]
Deploy Greater Magic Weapon and Greater Mighty Whallop on fists
[/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
Sev opened his eyes as the incantation concluded in time to see the last of the runes vanish. The kalashtar stepped to one side and experimentally went through a short series of blows against thin air, feeling the heightened power in his attacks. Finally satisfied, he turned back to the group and asked, "How much time do you need to prepare?"

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 03:50:32 PM »
Stop fooling around. Scout. Meh, fine. With quick wingbeats, the small pseudodragon takes to the air, leaving the group behind on his master's silent command as the latter takes a tiny hourglass made of crystal and platinum from a pouch on his side.
The gnome utterly ignores Sevharath's question; he seems completely focused on the hourglass. He holds it in front of his eyes and turns it once, waiting until the sand inside has run down before turning it again, and so on. All the while, he mutters strange syllables under his breath, completely subsumed in the casting of his spell.

[spoiler]Gnome buffs himself with Anticipate Teleportation. This takes the 10 minutes we have to buff. He'll probably do other stuff too, assuming we aren't attacked right after the 10 minutes are over, but that's for later.
The familiar will fly straight upwards until this becomes too dangerous due to wind currents. (Talking is a free action, so assume gnome told him to do this before he started casting.) If anything approaches within 60 ft., he'll notice due to Blindsense and Mindsight. If it has an Int score, he knows how smart it is and its type. He'll also make active Listen checks every round. Don't think Spot checks will do any good, with lots of smoke in the air. Here's a few checks to get started.
Listen checks Familiar (1d20+9=21, 1d20+9=16, 1d20+9=29, 1d20+9=11, 1d20+9=12)

So, about those Filter Masks. ;)[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
Deciding that they will be there for awhile, Paaras sits down and begins to meditate.  He must focus and center himself in order to be fully prepared for whatever will come his way.
Notes to self

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:17:13 AM »
Sev checks the scimitars strapped across his back, and seems satisfied with their edges. While the other members of the party prepare, he walks in a small circle around them, keeping a wary eye (and ear) out for anything that might disturb the group before they have a chance to make a plan.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »
Mann nods, dipping a finger in an inkpot, he traced whorls in a tingling, glittery pattern on Sev's hand, then sealed it with a rune of power. Swirling in a black ink, spiral patterns marked a second formation, focusing upon a focal point in the center, with a rune of size marking the center. Then, incanting under his breath, the runes disappeared from view, sinking invisibly into skin with a slight burning as they took effect, the tingling of power spreading from the point of origin to every possible impact surface on the body.

[spoiler]
Deploy Greater Magic Weapon and Greater Mighty Whallop on fists
[/spoiler]

Noted.

[spoiler]Gnome buffs himself with Anticipate Teleportation. This takes the 10 minutes we have to buff. He'll probably do other stuff too, assuming we aren't attacked right after the 10 minutes are over, but that's for later.
The familiar will fly straight upwards until this becomes too dangerous due to wind currents. (Talking is a free action, so assume gnome told him to do this before he started casting.) If anything approaches within 60 ft., he'll notice due to Blindsense and Mindsight. If it has an Int score, he knows how smart it is and its type. He'll also make active Listen checks every round. Don't think Spot checks will do any good, with lots of smoke in the air. Here's a few checks to get started.
Listen checks Familiar (1d20+9=21, 1d20+9=16, 1d20+9=29, 1d20+9=11, 1d20+9=12)

So, about those Filter Masks. ;)[/spoiler]

Also noted.

The small dragon finds out that the air isn't filled with as much debris as it is filled with smoke from the lava. While he doesn't make out any hostile sounds, he does notice several segments of the city have all ready given out to the lava. A lingering gaze tells that those areas were not melted; they were damaged during the fall and now act as sink holes. The exact number of them is impossible to pin down at his altitude; not even those still in the city above can see them due to the smoke.

Meanwhile, on the ground, preparation takes a chilling turn for the worst. The spells and effects are prepared normally, but the fog seems to react to it. As each of the three spells is cast, the fog forms hands around the casters and tries to grab them. The fog disperses upon contact, harmlessly, but it is clear that something is reacting to the magic. The spells resolve as though nothing happened, but the image is still there.

Something sinister has been awakened by the catastrophe. It may be wise to haul ass...

[spoiler][/spoiler]