Author Topic: What happened to you guys?  (Read 4043 times)

russlilly

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
What happened to you guys?
« on: December 27, 2007, 02:06:07 AM »
Well, that title pretty much says it all. Are you still planning on posting new episodes? I have just recently discovered you guys and am eagerly awaiting a new cast from the trio. Also, I haven't spent much time on the boards yet, so if the answer to my question is buried on a thread not related to the topic above (which didn't seem to be covered by any thread title listed), forgive my ignorance on the subject. Here's hoping that this is just a momentary lapse.

Jim

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: What happened to you guys?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:01:31 AM »
I did the same thing.  I added BrilliantGameologists to my favorites, then never saw any new podcasts.  Eventually, though, I clicked on the 'All Podcast Episodes' link on the left and - yes - there they are!

http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/category/podcast-episodes

Meg - what can you do to correct this?  Anyone that stored the link gets the homepage, but we all just read that the 2nd episode is at the top and assume there aren't any new podcasts.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »
Heh, I almost started this topic but I happened to find the new episodes...

If 3 people had the same problem, you may be getting visitors that don't take the time to find them or ask about them.
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

russlilly

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »
Heh, I almost started this topic but I happened to find the new episodes...

Yeah, I found those, but I was referring to the gap between the last episode (number 5, September 22) and the current date, which is more than 3 months difference. I'm just hoping that these kids are still planning on cranking out new episodes in the future.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:48:54 AM »
Most of the problems we are having are technical.  Relating to the website and the feed and such. 
That is where the big gap came from.  We spent weeks working on resolving these issues and are now back.

The current time issues relate to the holidays.  Next year we will try to have episodes ready.  The problem we run into is that we live far away from our families and two of us have jobs that get more hectic around the holidays. 

And unfortunately this will be the case until the last week of January.  We have two episodes in post production though and hope to get those out soon.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Jim

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
How often do you expect episodes to be released (after the holidays)?  Monthly?  Weekly?  Bi-monthly?

russlilly

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »
We have two episodes in post production though and hope to get those out soon.

Glad to hear it, Josh. Looking forward to more brilliant gameology.

Weathertop

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »
I'll second that!  I'm looking forward to more episodes.

Realistically tempering expectations would be a help, though, in cutting down my obsessive refreshing of your home page.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »
How often do you expect episodes to be released (after the holidays)?  Monthly?  Weekly?  Bi-monthly?

Our original goal was weekly, but that may not be realistic.  I don't really want to speak of how other podcasts conduct their research but here is how we get the material for shows. 

1) I have numerous topic ideas for each of our subtopics.  I start pitching ideas to Zeke and Meg, the key is not is there something to talk about, but is their something we can each talk about.  A topic that any one person hates we don't do.  I generally come away with 3 or 4 show ideas.

2) I research the topics and make lots of notes.  If the topic can be analyzed or rendered logically, this is where it happens.

3) We meet again and discuss my Research and Analysis.  Half of the ideas are thrown away or filed, usually because there is too little or it would be better as part of another topic.

4) I Further develop the topics with notes from the meeting and further research.

5) We record the episode.

6) The episode is edited.

So as you can see a huge amount of preproduction is involved.  That is why the show will likely be bi-weekly.  And we hope some day to get it to weekly.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »
You know, a post like this is such good motivation for me to get them edited in a timely fashion.  Thank you!!

I do all the production work, and the hangup on my end was that we recorded like 5 shows before I had any edited, so I got all caught up in that and am still trying to catch up.  I have 2 more though that will be released today, and then 2 more that we've recorded and I just need to finish.  (Our episode 6 is the best we've done yet.  Even though I have to listen to it over and over when I edit, I actually listened to it twice just for fun, chuckling almost the whole time).

Once we've caught up we are going to get in a very regular routine.  To start, while we still get everything streamlined, it will be every other week.  I hope we can move up to every week after another 10 or so episodes.

I was wondering if the date thing would throw anyone off.  Very good to know that it did.  My bad.

I have a question though- right now I'm dating episodes when we record.  Soon, that date will be close to when it actually airs.  Other podcasts date for when it airs.  I'm on the fence and feel I have 3 options:

1) In the podcast say the date that it is that day and then timestamp the posting of the show with that same day.
2) In the podcast say the date that it airs and timestamp the posting when it airs
3) In the podcast say the date that it is that day but timestamp the posting on the date that it airs.

Thoughts?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:52:15 AM »
Well, if it's "industry standard" to date the day it airs, then I say go with that.  Avoids confusion.  If you want to stand out for something, it should be content not a technical oddity.

The only problem with saying the date in the podcast is that if you slack off, it may stick out like a sore thumb.  It would be motivation however...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:21:20 AM »
Well, if it's "industry standard" to date the day it airs, then I say go with that.  Avoids confusion.  If you want to stand out for something, it should be content not a technical oddity.

The only problem with saying the date in the podcast is that if you slack off, it may stick out like a sore thumb.  It would be motivation however...

Sure, go ahead and phrase it in a way that makes sense.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
Slacker!

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:08 AM »
I am sad there are not more shows but I am happy there are some.

Hopefully there will be more shows soon.

The problem with most podcasts is that there just isn't enough to listen to.

Logan
Host of Heroic Cthulhu
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:26 AM »
Our next episode is cursed.  It took several recording sessions and we lost much of the episode twice. 

We did not loose the beginning or the end of the episode, we just lost the middle.  So we also have a second end for the episode where Zeke is incredibly hilarious. 

The good news is that the following episode should be right on the heels of number 11. 

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
Zeke?  Incredibly hilarious?  That never happens...

Did he wipe sauce all over his face again?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:01:33 AM »
Zeke?  Incredibly hilarious?  That never happens...

Did he wipe sauce all over his face again?

Inquiring minds want to know.
By hook or by crook we are going to use those clips.