Author Topic: [Base Classes] The Mental Warriors (A 3.5 Ability Score Exercise)  (Read 6608 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The Cereblade

"My blade reads you like a book. Like a very poorly written book..." - Dias Flac, Eladrin Cereblade.

HD: d8

Saves: Poor Fort, Good Ref, Good Will

LV  Base Attack Bonus    Class Features                        M. Known  M. Ready  Stances
1.   +1                  Clever Positioning, Tactical Strike       3         3        0
2.   +2                  Advanced Placement                        4         4        0
3.   +3                  Cunning Opportunist                       5         4        1
4.   +4                  Fool Me Once                              6         4        1
5.   +5                                                            7         5        1
6.   +6/+1               Cunning Advantage                         8         5        2
7.   +7/+2                                                         9         5        2
8.   +8/+3                                                        10         6        2
9.   +9/+4               Cunning Skill                            11         6        2
10.  +10/+5                                                       12         6        2
11.  +11/+6/+1           Psychic Swordplay                        13         7        3
12.  +12/+7/+2           Fool Me Never                            14         7        3
13.  +13/+8/+3                                                    15         7        3
14.  +14/+9/+4                                                    16         8        3
15.  +15/+10/5           Cunning Mastery                          17         8        3
16.  +16/+11/+6/+1                                                18         8        4
17.  +17/+12/+7/+2                                                19         9        4
18.  +18/+13/+8/+3       Cunning Erosion                          20         9        4
19.  +19/+14/+9/+4       Not Now, Not Ever                        21         9        4
20.  +20/+15/+10/+5      Psychic Crusher                          22        10        4

Class Skills (2+Int): Appraise, Climb, Craft, Jump, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Profession, Swim.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, light armor, all shields.

Maneuvers: You have access to the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, and White Raven disciplines, and ready and learn them in the same way a Warblade would. You recover all of your maneuvers by spending a full round action. When you recover your maneuvers, you may instead ready a full new set of maneuvers. A Cereblade determines the saving throw DC of all maneuvers he uses with his Intelligence modifier rather than any ability score specified by the maneuver.

Clever Positioning (Ex): A Cereblade knows how and when to strike, and how and when to dodge. Instead of his Strength or Dexterity he may add his Intelligence modifier to attack rolls when making melee or ranged attack. Instead of his Dexterity he may add his Intelligence modifier to AC and Reflex saves, as long as he wears nothing heavier than Light armor. However, he may add no more than 2 points of Intelligence modifier per Cereblade class levels he possesses.

Tactical Strike (Ex): Whenever you ready a standard action you may ready to use any unexpended maneuver with an initiation time of 1 standard action or less, and you do not need to specify which maneuver. In addition, if you take your action, it does not change your initiative placement. Finally, after readying any type of action, if you do not take your readied action, you gain a +2 bonus to attacks, AC, and saving throws during your next round, as well as a +10ft bonus to speed.

Advanced Placement (Ex): A Cereblade of 2nd level and higher adds his Intelligence modifier to damage rolls when attacking a flanked creature.

Cunning Opportunist (Ex): Whenever a Cereblade of 3rd level or higher makes an attack of opportunity he adds his Intelligence modifier to the attack and damage roll. This bonus stacks with the Clever Positioning and Advanced Placement bonuses.

Fool Me Once (Ex): A Cereblade of 4th level and higher adds his Intelligence modifier to AC and saving throws against special attacks and supernatural abilities if the same special attack or supernatural ability has been used this encounter. This bonus stacks with his normal bonus to AC and Reflex saves granted by Clever Positioning.

Cunning Advantage (Ex): A Cereblade of 6th level or higher adds his Intelligence modifier to his Initiative score.

Cunning Skill (Ex): A Cereblade of 9th level or higher adds his Intelligence modifier in addition to his Strength when he makes any Bull Rush, Disarm, Overrun, Sunder or Trip attempts. A Cereblade adds his Intelligence modifier, in addition to his Strength, to all grapple checks.

Psychic Swordplay (Ex): Starting at 11th level, a Cereblade's foresight is so uncanny that he can detect the surface thoughts of creatures he deals damage to with any attack as the spell Detect Thoughts (Will negates, DC 10+1/2Cereblade level+Cereblade's Int mod).

Cunning Mastery (Ex): Starting at 12th level, reduce any bonuses of foes who attack you, or who you attack, derived from combat expertise, dodge, mobility, or power attack, or other circumstance bonuses to AC, attack rolls or damage rolls, by a number equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Fool Me Never (Ex): A Cereblade of 15th level and higher adds his Intelligence modifier to AC and saving throws against all special attacks and supernatural abilities. This supercedes his 4th level Fool Me Once ability, and still stacks with the bonus granted by Clever Positioning.

Cunning Erosion (Ex): A Cereblade of 18th level and higher may take a -5 penalty to his roll when making an attack during his turn. If he does, his attack instead deals ability damage to the target, to the ability score of the Cereblade's choice. The struck foe gets a Fort save to halve this damage (DC 10+1/2Cereblade level+Cereblade's Int mod). This attack gains no bonuses to damage; it deals strictly the normal weapon damage.

Not Now, Not Ever (Ex): Starting at 19th level, whenever you a foe provokes an attack of opportunity from you, your attack resolves before their provoking action. Additionally, whenever you deal damage to a foe with a readied action attack, or with an attack of opportunity, the action you readied the attack against or that provoked your attack is wasted.

Psychic Crusher (Ex): Starting at 20th level, the unyielding intellect of a Cereblade can collapse the lesser minds of his foes. Whenever the Cereblade deals damage to a foe with an attack, if he is detecting the surface thoughts of that foe he can duplicate the effects of the Suggestion spell on the struck foe if he chooses (Will negates, DC 12+1/2Cereblade level+Cereblade's Int mod).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:35:46 AM by bkdubs123 »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: [Base Classes] The Mental Warriors (A 3.5 Ability Score Exercise)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
"Ten seconds."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
This is actually my favourite so far :D

Can't someone start a PbP with only these classes allowed :bigeye ?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:43:37 AM »

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!

And so? Did you copyright it? :P

And also, I think that the more people that wants it, the bigger the chances for that it will happen

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!

And so? Did you copyright it? :P

And also, I think that the more people that wants it, the bigger the chances for that it will happen

:D

I'm just glad to know that even material that I don't take very seriously is well loved.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »

Actually, this is a very good idea, bogs.
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »
I had a REALLY hard time completing this one, and I still feel like I missed the mark a bit. Those dead levels are so unsightly...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
I had a REALLY hard time completing this one, and I still feel like I missed the mark a bit. Those dead levels are so unsightly...

You could fill those dead levels with some elements taken from other Int-based fighters (Warblades, Factotums, Swashbucklers). Insightful Strike for example fits the concept perfectly.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
You could fill those dead levels with some elements taken from other Int-based fighters (Warblades, Factotums, Swashbucklers). Insightful Strike for example fits the concept perfectly.

Well, I already made use of all of the Warblade's tricks, aside from Battle Ardor, which I used for the Strongarm. I don't want to use Insightful Strike, since conceptually it's a lot like Advanced Placement and would then add double Int mod to flanked creatures, and triple on Opportunity Attacks vs flanked creatures. Silly. The factotum might have some things I can snag, I'm not sure...

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:04 PM »

Well, I already made use of all of the Warblade's tricks, aside from Battle Ardor, which I used for the Strongarm. I don't want to use Insightful Strike, since conceptually it's a lot like Advanced Placement and would then add double Int mod to flanked creatures, and triple on Opportunity Attacks vs flanked creatures. Silly. The factotum might have some things I can snag, I'm not sure...

You're right about Advanced Placement. It makes more sense thematically than Insightful Strike.

However, personally I disagree about the skill points and the class skills it gets. I think that their skill points should be 4+Int mod and they should have the class skills of the swashies.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
However, personally I disagree about the skill points and the class skills it gets. I think that their skill points should be 4+Int mod and they should have the class skills of the swashies.

Well, remember, the point was to make the class as completely devoted to Intelligence as humanly possible. I threw in Climb, Jump, and Swim just because warrior classes almost always get those, and I threw in Profession, because literally every class gets it.

If I were to actually build this class I'd probably replace Setting Sun with Shadow Hand, and probably make the class Int primary and Dex/Cha secondary.

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
Well, remember, the point was to make the class as completely devoted to Intelligence as humanly possible. I threw in Climb, Jump, and Swim just because warrior classes almost always get those, and I threw in Profession, because literally every class gets it.

If I were to actually build this class I'd probably replace Setting Sun with Shadow Hand, and probably make the class Int primary and Dex/Cha secondary.

You're right that Swashbuckler's class skills could need a Dex and Cha boost.

Still, the 4+Int mod would make the class able to easily max out all their skills and get a lot of skill tricks as well (because you frankly do not need to max out Profession :P).

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
Now what I am really waiting for is the Con based caster and exoert (as they are often Int based already, so it is not that interesting), and possibly the dex based caster...

And also, with that said, this is probably about my favourite material that you've created (maybe except Spellcaster's Sanctum, too bad that didn't get finished :( )

Actually, this is a very good idea, bogs.

Actually, as he has already pointed out, Flay crimsonwind suggested that before me... But yeah, it is still a good idea...

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »
When will you continue with this? I am really waiting for the con based expert...

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »
I'll continue it eventually, when I get inspiration. I've done the Dex based Expert already actually, I just want to fine tune it. Although, I've basically already made a Con based Expert as well. Do you recall The Everyman?

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
Yeah, I have already gone through all your homebrews at BG about three times in the last week... (I was trying to find something cool and con based, after seing the unbreakable at first, but now, lately I've been looking for something like the Defender role in 4e... (the Swordmage is very close to what I want, and so is the Runelord, but I find the Swordmage's abilities to be a little shortrange, and it could need a boost like something like the marshals auras or something, while the Runelord just didn't have enough of those defensive abilities (except against spells, where it has plenty), + that there where no good 1st level universal tactics (and not good enough 2nd level ones either...)

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »
This thing just screams for a Jack B. Quick style build, especially if you toss in Thicket of Blades.

Jradd7

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

What about a neat new ability at one of the levels before 10th (if you think it's low powered enough)? Something that allows some special Int check while recovering maneuvers, where success would grant a bonus maneuver or the replication of a readied maneuver ("readying twice"/giving two uses of that maneuver before the need to recover again). Also, this could be expanded at the higher dead levels later to grant more than just one or perhaps allow that maneuver to be "combined" with another maneuver (or repeated immediately, if you go with the "readied twice" version), given a certain condition (such as dropping a foe with the first maneuver or something?). It gives the class a distinct way of using its maneuver progression and recovery mechanic. I think as far as fitting the theme it speaks to the mental adaptability of the class translating into physical prowess. Obviously, it might also be tweaked to better represent what the class is about, if you disagree with the fit.