Author Topic: Max Enchantment on Weapons / Armor?  (Read 2779 times)

Taleran

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Max Enchantment on Weapons / Armor?
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:57:02 AM »
I didn't see anything looking in the PG but I did notice that the 3rd tier of each armor type had "Minimum Bonus" of +6 which to me says that it can go much over that as long as you have the money to enchant the items they can go far higher than that

I just read through the magic item again to check and it still doesn't, and since its nothing like 3.5 when x amount of +'s makes the weapons wonderous / artifact it'd be possible to get some pretty stacked weapons

just thought I'd throw that out there

EDIT: I just counted for cloth armor and there are 7 cloth enchants at +6 maximum is a 42 enhancement bonus to defenses

at a total cost of $21,750,000
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:05:04 AM by Taleran »

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Re: Max Enchantment on Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »
A +6 magic item costs 1125000, which is 5 times a +5 magic item at 225000, which is 5 times a +4 magic item at 45000, etc.

Thus, a +7 magic item would theoretically cost 5625000. Even if you sold all three of your free items at 30th level, in conjunction with your gold piece allotment, you couldn't afford it (1225000 gp short).
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Taleran

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Max Enchantment on Weapons / Armor?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »
that makes sense then, unless of course you keep playing to get that much money

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:46 AM »
that makes sense then, unless of course you keep playing to get that much money

Good point. Intentionally or not, the designers seem to have left the magic item system open for 30+ progression. Neat.  ;D
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Taleran

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:17:06 AM »
which if I didn't hit the = key too many times my previous cloth examples cost would come to

38,198,777,474,462,985,992,431,640,625,000gp

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »
For those of you who are wondering, that number is read as:

thirty-eight nonillion, one-hundred ninety-eight octillion, seven-hundred seventy-seven septillion, four-hundred seventy-four sextillion, four-hundred sixty-two pentillion, nine-hundred eighty-five quadrillion, nine-hundred ninety-two trillion, four-hundred thirty-one billion, six-hundred fourty million, and six-hundred and twenty-five thousand. Gold pieces, of course.  :D
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Taleran

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:38:35 AM »
ahh I found the restriction, while the power of the items isn't scaled

the fact that the loot parcels maximum go to a +3 your level magic item, and you can't enchant anything to a higher level than you are

until something post 30 is released it will be impossible

mix and matching different lower than +6 enchants is still possible

I wonder what can be gotten from

+1 +5
+2 +4
+3 +3
+6
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:41:23 AM by Taleran »

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 09:12:25 AM »
mix and matching different lower than +6 enchants is still possible

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this.  Are you implying that you can get +2 Delver's Dwarven Armor, and enjoy the effects of Delver's Armor and Dwarven Armor magic items at the same time?  Nothing I've seen in the rules allows for this.

phelanarcetus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »
That's one of the things I was really hoping to find in the DMG, is magic item design guidelines.  And they seem absent.

If +1 Duelist's weapon is level 2, and so is a +1 Frost weapon... what level would a +1 Duelist's Frost weapon be?  Should that be prohibited because it would grant too many properties/powers to the player?

Implications that since a +1 weapon is level 1, this would be equivalent to level 3?

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
From the rules we have, items don't have multiple abilities to them.  You can't have a Flaming Freezing Shocking Shortsword in 4e.  Maybe we'll see some mechanic for this in Tome of Treasure, but I highly doubt it.