Author Topic: [Base Classes] The Physical Warriors (A 3.5 Ability Score Exercise)  (Read 5849 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [Base Classes] The Physical Warriors (A 3.5 Ability Score Exercise)
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
The con based is wicked, would love it. Anyways though, what are these going to do? They aren't supposed to be balanced, like you said, just SAD. Where can one be/When can one be/Are-they-supposed-to-be used? I think I'm missing the point of the exercise, possibly...

The Con based is my favorite as well. :D

They aren't really going to do anything. You could use them though, in theory. It's not like the Str based guy is worse off than a Fighter. The Dex and Con based ones are actually very playable.

The point of the exercise is merely to help myself imagine lots of completely different powers and abilities that should be available to SAD class builds, if they were actually possible. It's to help in the design of a new d20 game. :D

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 04:20:41 AM »
You should note that they aren't completely SAD, though, as they need Con as a secondary ability for HP (except the unbreakable), so you should consider letting them add their SAD ability to HP (instead or in addition to Con)...

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »
The concept of the Unbreakable class is kind of cool, but I think Thick Skinned should function in armor, or if not, they need some further improvement in addition to Con similar to how a Monk's AC increases with level.

Natural AC bonuses aren't that hard to come by, and you'd end up with a better AC in heavy armor anyway.  Elbow Grease does give some more incentive at 3rd level to go armorless, but I'd be wearing armor up to that point for sure.

I know these are just thought excercises, but I figured I'd mention that anyway. ;)
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 11:21:46 AM »
Holy crap, it's d20 Modern's base classes on steroids!  :clap
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
The concept of the Unbreakable class is kind of cool, but I think Thick Skinned should function in armor, or if not, they need some further improvement in addition to Con similar to how a Monk's AC increases with level.

I might add a small scaling bonus like the Monk gets as he gains levels, but maybe you missed the fact that he can enchant his own skin as though it were Masterwork Armor?

Nuntius Mortis

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »
Shadowfencers are simply awesome. Kudos for creating them :clap
Never underestimate a halfling!

Sepehr Anvari - Chaos Monk

Velnius Agonista - Halfling Thrower (needs repair)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:09 PM »
Shadowfencers are simply awesome. Kudos for creating them :clap

Thank you. :D

The more I look over these classes the more I like them myself. Even the Strongarm is pretty fun.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
I might add a small scaling bonus like the Monk gets as he gains levels, but maybe you missed the fact that he can enchant his own skin as though it were Masterwork Armor?
I caught that, but you can do the same with regular armor.  Until you get a very high Con, you will still get a better AC with armor and be able to get natural armor from another source.

Although, thinking about it, I suppose the guy could just get bracers of armor for the Armor bonus, so maybe this is better than I thought.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
I caught that, but you can do the same with regular armor.  Until you get a very high Con, you will still get a better AC with armor and be able to get natural armor from another source.

Well, you're gonna have VERY high Con. I assume you'll start with at least +4. Maybe +5. You're already wearing a friggin Breastplate with no max dex or ACP. By the time you're level 20 you've probably got +12 at least which is 8 higher than Plate Mail and you haven't even enchanted it yet.

Although, thinking about it, I suppose the guy could just get bracers of armor for the Armor bonus, so maybe this is better than I thought.

Anyway, I did add a small scaling bonus for a total of +5 additional NA. Bracers of Armor are a bit on the expensive side.

EDIT: I just realized that a VoP Unbreakable is pretty cool. :D Grab Improved and Superior Unarmed Strike, and pick up Touch of Golden Ice as well as that feat that breaks weapons on your body. You can still enchant your skin as if it were armor. Cool stuff. DR is still a bit of a problem but you do have the Mountain Hammer strike line...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:38:15 PM by bkdubs123 »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »
I think Fast Healing with the clause works, but I would still change the wording on Feel no Pain to something more simple and just let him ignore X points of damage from any source, be it physical, energy, or holy/unholy.  That way you can still be killed by being taken to -10, but you ignore a lot of damage and the fast healing flows better with it.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 06:41:35 PM »
Okay, one of these classes is actually going to see play :O

Because on of my players has wanted to make a charger for a long time, he thought the strongarm seemed awesome when I told him about it, so he decided to make that instead of a ritual warrior (something stratovarius made... I think it is still in the playtest stadium?)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
Okay, one of these classes is actually going to see play :O

Because on of my players has wanted to make a charger for a long time, he thought the strongarm seemed awesome when I told him about it, so he decided to make that instead of a ritual warrior (something stratovarius made... I think it is still in the playtest stadium?)

Just, for heaven's sake, avoid the silly chain multiplier stuff. Basically, don't use the Dragoon build floating around. Just be a simple charger. Please?

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 03:28:56 AM »
Yeah, I've already told him that I will just help him become a basic charger, not the "I can do x000 damage at level 10" chargers...

So, I'll let him get to know about shock trooper and such, but he'll have to discover things like leap attack himself...

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »
I know text trumps table, but do you want it to say Extreme Effort +1 at lv 1 for the strongarm, with the text saying it starts by getting the +2 at lv 3?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 03:55:07 AM »
I know text trumps table, but do you want it to say Extreme Effort +1 at lv 1 for the strongarm, with the text saying it starts by getting the +2 at lv 3?

Thanks for the catch. There were a LOT of problems with the text vs table in the Strongarm. I think I had a copy paste error.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
just as a tip for the con based caster: give him the ability to cast spells by sacrificing "virtual hp" which functions like hp in every way except you can't heal it (except for sleeping for 8 hours)... and also, let him boost the CL and DCs and such by spending more virtual HP...

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
Hmm....
Forgive me, I was just wondering, what was the thought behind this thought excercize? I mean to say what is this stemming from, one of the other threads perhaps?
I've noted you've always been an avid and capable class creator so that they're "good" is no surprise. So I'm just wondering as a though excersize where ...exactly you're heading with this?

I really liked the "gloam razor" i thought it was a "con" based class? Was I mistaken?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »
Hmm....
Forgive me, I was just wondering, what was the thought behind this thought excercize? I mean to say what is this stemming from, one of the other threads perhaps?

First post, pg 2, I clarify a bit more what the purpose behind this exercise is.