Author Topic: Trader's Dale: To Adventure!  (Read 16690 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Trader's Dale: To Adventure!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
@Flay:
"No son, there ain't no demons here. At least, none that I know of. If ye be fine though, I'll be going." The monk goes to leave.

@Bowen:
The first person you meet is a slim, graceful lady. In a perfectly trained voice, she replies. "Well, I would usually leave my horse at the keep itself, but I doubt they'd accept such a horrid animal. Try an inn." Her sneer of disgust is also perfectly honed, and the contempt is evident.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »
Stopping about half-way along the path to the castle, Mevri decides to try and cool down. It wouldn't make much sense to be in a foul mood when meeting with the Captain. She decides to focus on the training of her mentors, and begins the process of familiarizing herself with the village- its buildings, its streets, its people, et cetera. Her stomache rumbles as she does this, hungry from being denied breakfast not once, but twice.

'Hmph, should've settled for the mage's gruel...' she thinks to herself.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 12:30:22 AM »
As Mevri wanders through the village, she keeps getting drawn to a street with trees lining either side of it, lined with stalls. A menagerie of races look out from behind them, offering many different goods. The smells of meat pies, along with the sweet scent of honey and the varied smells of a herb booth mix with the smells of ungeunts, oils, and armour grease. Hailed from all sides, you notice an oddity, in that a small pixie is standing, quietly, staring intently, straight at you. As soon as you notice it, it waves and disappears between one blink and the next. Continuing down the street, you walk past another tavern, though this one is a dive. From inside, a dirty, unshaven man smelling heavily of booze staggers and slips his way into you. As if noticing you for the first time when he hits you, he blinks a couple times then slurs out a sentence. A whiff of his breath is almost enough to make you throw up. "Mahy, bu' ain' youuu pret'y? Wou' ya li' ta giv' ol' jonsf's'o'f'son a coin?" He rattles a cup in your face.

I also need a spot check from... Venn!
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:02 AM »
Kel' leaves the totally crazy and totally useless lady behind and heads on to the castle.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 04:26:16 AM »
[spoiler]I spy with my little eye... something? Anything?

Spot: 1d20(19)+2=21

Will react to the drunkard after spot is resolved.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 05:17:02 AM »
"It takes one to know one." Meepo chuckles as he pats his donkey on the snout to reassure it.

He then decides to try his luck, seeing as he is on business, and heads for the castle.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:30:11 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »
Flabergasted, angry, and righteous, Dasrael says screw it; next time, if he had a chance, he'd nail the smiling bastards face to the floor. For now, the castle, which is where he started heading to, that encounter more than enough of getting his ass handed to him for one day...

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
@Venn:

Inside the drunkards cup, a slightly soggy piece of paper is at the bottom.

@Bowen:
[spoiler]
Just go to the castle. They'll have a stable there. I mean, or you could pay 5 sp or whatever, but PCs are usually tightfisted lots. Because you have official business, you'll get in fine.[/spoiler]

@Everyone converging on the castle:

As you wander the streets, heading towards the central castle, the city becomes more and more vibrant as you go towards the castle. Eventually, you reach the wall, and walk around it till you find the single, tiny and unassuming gate. It looks amazing for defense, though the cities populace would have to be forewarned about an attack to get inside the castle in any timely manner.

"Oi! What do ya wan'?" Comes down from an arrow slit halfway up the wall. You cannot see the man inside.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
Mevri steels herself against the odor of the drunken man before her, and notices the cup he holds has slightly more than just a couple coins in it. Knowing that it could be naught but garbage, yet curious as to the paper's contents. Perhaps 'tis a map to the not-quite-fabled Beggar's Treasure? Perhaps 'tis a discarded, embarassing letter from one of the town's more well-to-do folk? Who knows, but Mevri's curiosity gets the better of her.

"Hmm, ya know sir, you'll be much better off learnin' to earn money than beggin' fer it; ya just got to know how to sell yerself. Why, bein' creative is how all the truly richest got their fortunes! Fer instance, I'll buy tha' little wad o' paper ya got there for a silver piece, an' as a measure o' good faith in yer new business ventures, I'll give ya worth 9 more as capital. Tha's a whole gold piece! Now, you can then take tha' gold piece, an' trade it for a goat. Then ya take tha' goat, trade it for somethin' else o' value, and keep tradin' up, and eventually you'll be one o' them rich folk what lives in a castle! Or, ya could blow it on booze, 's your call."

Mevri stands proud of teaching the drunkard about the wonders of economy, partly as it being a good deed, and partly as finally being able to put those tomes on economics she was forced to read to good use.

[spoiler]According to the SRD, 1 gp will get you 1 goat It's a wonder the standard adventurer doesn't just get sick of risking death all the time and retire to start up the life of a farmer.  :P[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
[spoiler]
1 dungeon = way too many goats. It's easier to just keep adventuring than buy 50 goats.[/spoiler]

"Wha? Ya wan' buy this?" He peels it out of the glass. He sobers up a little when money is involved, but not much. "I wan'... fif'ten silv'r" He counts to 8 on his fingers. "Nah, wai'. Sixt'en."

[spoiler]
8 gallons should keep him drunk for a while, right?

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
Mevri smirks, though the look doesn't last.

"See, now ya've grown ta be a shrewd businessman. Don' spend it all in one place- Save some of it ta invest, and ye0'll keep yerself in the drink for all yer years."

The girl separates out the proper amount of coins and holds it out, careful to wait until the drunkard fishes out the wad of paper before letting him get near the money.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 10:36:10 PM »
"an' here I though' ye wa' a merchan'. Ye didn' eve' haggl'." He gives you the paper, then takes his money. Then, he laughs. "I don' know wher' tha' came from, bu' I lik' it." He staggers back into the inn.

You open the paper, and on it...

[spoiler]
I need to put a scan up. Now is time for an imageshack account, I guess.

Unless someone with an account wants to let me email it, then they can upload my scrawling?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »
Dasrael steps up, a stoic look on his face as he delivers his message like a soldier would; proudly without personal enjoyment. "My name is Dasrael Gaderon, Crusader of Justice, and I am here to meet the Captain of the Avalon Guards.... there are others with me. They should also be arriving shortly...." He was hoping his companions would get there soon enough; there was not much point in meeting the Captain alone...

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:29 AM »
A different voice, a less accented voice, comes out of the hole. "Why would you want to meet the captain? Are you an 'adventurer'? Judging by the disrepair of your gear, I'd say so." The last word is emphasized with contempt.

[spoiler]
Anyone can join in on this.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 03:21:39 AM »
Dasrael was always one to act professionally, but he was also always short tempered; these people gave up on and no longer deserve basic respects. "We're warriors, if that's what you mean. And if our "gear" does not suit you, then we will gladly accept your offer to replace our unworthy "gear" with improvements, that would be very kind of you..." There was an emphasis on the word that was barely noticeable, as though it was a nasty grime in his mouth to say gear when referring to his weapons. Dasrael would rather have skipped the witty banter and simply tell the obnoxious man to kiss his ass and open the gates, but there had to be SOME tact left.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
"Ok, fine, warriors. Let's see your notes then? Any adventurers we've hired in the past 3 years have had them. Not that I expect a motley crew such as you to have them."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
[spoiler]Edited post, heading to the castle :)[/spoiler]
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 12:39:10 AM »
Reaching into the small pack he has, he pulls out a piece of folded paper, oddly crisp despite how long it's probably been in his bag, and considering the earlier encounter he'd had that day. He holds the paper up, keeping a grip on it; always good to retain whatever paperwork you have. "Now will you let me in? I understand the security, but have you really got all day to be chattering with me like this?" As he speaks, he can see one of his group coming up towards the gate. 'Ah, good, ease in numbers, hopefully...'

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 02:38:34 AM »
Mevri, content with a deed well-done, or at least done well enough, stuffs the paper into a pocket in her cloak and proceeds to the castle. As she walks, she fishes around for the note detailing her business in this community, hoping that more details would soon present themselves. She walks up on her comrades-in-arms, the small group slowly amassing.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 02:55:26 AM »
"Oh goodness. They really have lowered their standards. No matter, it looks genuine." You hear an incantation.* and he sighs. "And, I assume you'll all want to keep your magic items?" He says another incantation.** and a hole opens in the wall, large enough for everyone but Maxx and Dasrael to walk through standing straight.

As you go through the wall, you see an attackers nightmare. Murder Holes, Arrow Slits, and a giant cauldron all focus on a small courtyard. This is not an ornamental castle. A portcullis is already open at the other end of the death trap, and the Chamberlain, Sir Falawk, is coming to meet you. Slim and tall, he towers over everyone. He walks with a limp on his right side. In a great big voice, which made people listen, he says "Ah, hello, adventurers. I hope the Guards didn't cause undue trouble? Good. We have much to do, I must introduce you to a potential ally, and then we must give you your assignments. Hurry Along please. I'll take any questions you have on the way."

*DC 15 Spellcraft:[spoiler]
The spell is Detect Magic[/spoiler]
**DC 20 Spellcraft:[spoiler]
The spell is Passwall.[/spoiler]