Author Topic: Monsters with innate spellcasting  (Read 26322 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Monsters with innate spellcasting
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »
Firre Eladrin are the way to go with Assume Supernatural Ability (or outright Shapechange) and the Lyric Spell feat. They have unlimited Bardic Music uses, so basically unlimited spells! Also, there are other (ab)uses for unlimited Bardic Music.
Although not related to spellcasting per se, a Firre Stormsinger would be quite interesting...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
Stormcasting relies on perform checks as much as on music uses, so unless you also optimize your perform skill... which is pretty easy now I come to think of it!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »

Um. How does Intensify Manifest Zone help if you aren't, say, in a manifest zone already? If you meant Planar Bubble, then carry on.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
From Ghostwalk,
Artaaglith(Demon)
5HD  LA --   casts as 5th lvl cleric, turn undead as 5th lvl cleric
spell like abilities- 1/day animate dead, cause fear, death knell, desecrate, stinking cloud
tanar'ri qualities
can be summoned by lesser planar ally or summon monster VI

text specifically states spell likes, turning, spell casting stacks with cleric levels
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn has the Kyrie(4HD+3LA with 3rd level mystic casting), Huldrefolk(6HD+8LA 8th level sorcerer + some domainrelated stuff) and Noble Draconians(Green is 4HD+3LA 4th level mystic, Blue is 6HD+5LA 6th level paladin).
And, of course, the broken Dragonspawn templates with their 1st level Sorc-casting :rollseyes

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
The entries with ? for some FF monsters should all be - except the Varrangoin who specifically list 'as characters' but have no LA. I'd eyeball it at LA+3 but I found it strange the errata and update make no mention of any of the ? monsters.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn has the Kyrie(4HD+3LA with 3rd level mystic casting), Huldrefolk(6HD+8LA 8th level sorcerer + some domainrelated stuff) and Noble Draconians(Green is 4HD+3LA 4th level mystic, Blue is 6HD+5LA 6th level paladin).
This and Tylor have been added.

And, of course, the broken Dragonspawn templates with their 1st level Sorc-casting :rollseyes
I haven't added any templates yet; mainly because there are almost none in WotC-published material (Monster of Legend is the sole exception I think). Well, apart from the DLCS version of dragonspawn...

The entries with ? for some FF monsters should all be - except the Varrangoin who specifically list 'as characters' but have no LA. I'd eyeball it at LA+3 but I found it strange the errata and update make no mention of any of the ? monsters.
Yeah, that's exactly why they're ? - I couldn't find any LA on them, not even —, so I figured if someone knew they were at last updated - on the website, in a forum post by an author, or if it's been reprinted in an adventure or outside WotC etc - they would tell me.

I think I'll add footnotes for this purpose. Edit: Footnotes done. Tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:32:48 PM by Suzerain »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
Cheshire cats cast as third level sorcerers.  3 HD/3LA small fey eschew materials as racial bonus feat.  Access to feline feats.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »
Cheshire cats cast as third level sorcerers.  3 HD/3LA small fey eschew materials as racial bonus feat.  Access to feline feats.
I hate that book/movie/everything. Updated.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
Mad Linguist - You should play one of those cats in the arena.  I'd allow that whole page!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
Firre Eladrin are the way to go with Assume Supernatural Ability (or outright Shapechange) and the Lyric Spell feat. They have unlimited Bardic Music uses, so basically unlimited spells! Also, there are other (ab)uses for unlimited Bardic Music.

Unlimited bardic music?  Source PLEASE!
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:53 AM »

BoED, if memory serves.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »

BoED, if memory serves.
Yup. They had a dirt handbook entry that I fixed
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

firre eladin have no listed LA, making them unplayable.... oh, wait polymorph shenanigans, nevermind.  carry on.

And last i checked they were in the manual of the planes.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
Yes, they're in Manual of the Planes, which is 3.0, but they were never updated, afaik.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »
Yes, they're in Manual of the Planes, which is 3.0, but they were never updated, afaik.

They were reprinted in Book Of Exalted Deeds, which came out just a few months after the 3.5 changeover. In BoED they have +10 LA (and hence ECL 18). Aside from changes to fit 3.5 formatting, their abilities are almost identical, including identical wording of the Song ability. The only changes I see on a quick once-over are that their DR changed from 20/+2 to 10/cold iron or evil, and eladrin in general had their acid and cold resistance cut from 20 to 10 for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:57:52 AM by Benly »