Author Topic: Slave costs, what book?  (Read 15443 times)

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Slave costs, what book?
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Is there a 3.5 book that has some slave costs? I did a forum search, but havent found anything.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Re: Slave costs, what book?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »
that I know of, there are no official rules for a slave-economy.  however, here's someone's site that has something worked-out: http://www.kismetrose.com/dnd/MySlaveCosts.html

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:39:08 AM »
Think like a Hireling, only you never have to pay them more than the initial costs (and maybe food, depending on alignment). I'd say 10*Price to hire a Commoner would work, so about 1 gp (remember, that's actually a lot of cash to the common folk). More if they are trained in specific and useful skills, and still more if they have class levels in PC classes. Buying a Warblade slave should cost somewhere in the 20gp range, maybe even 100.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »
Buying a Warblade slave should cost somewhere in the 20gp range, maybe even 100.

Something seems wrong about this statement but i can't quite put my finger on it.  :banghead
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
Buying a Warblade slave should cost somewhere in the 20gp range, maybe even 100.

Something seems wrong about this statement but i can't quite put my finger on it.  :banghead

Because Mountain Hammer>>>>Manacles. Proven fact.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SolosAddie

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:23:38 AM »
you can also modify hireling rules.  Bankruptcy could end up with the person being seized and sold to work off their debt.  So a modified slavery that could work in neutral or even some good societies.

JOB by Robert Heinlein has an example in there.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »
you can also modify hireling rules.  Bankruptcy could end up with the person being seized and sold to work off their debt.  So a modified slavery that could work in neutral or even some good societies.

JOB by Robert Heinlein has an example in there.
Yes, but in player terms, it's essentially a weak(or not so weak) cohort, costing it appropriately is going to be difficult.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:20:10 AM »
Tucked away on page 102 of Lords of Madness.
Quote from: Slave Cost
Cost= ((CR, minimum 1)^2)*100 gp.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:30:39 AM by Snizor »
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »

me likes

<*makes notes for later use*>

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:48:39 AM »
Cool, thanks for all the help. Sorry for late responce, forgot I made the topic lol

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »

me likes

So, a Commoner 1 is 100gp. Dang, that's expensive! Of course, so is a Commoner 4, or a Warrior 2. Still not worth it, in my opinion. Compare to how much it would cost to hire a Commoner 1 for a year. Well, animal tender is 15cp, while a laborer is 1sp, so halfway between gives us, rounded up, 60cp/day, for a general purpose lackey. 219sp/year. You could outright hire a Commoner 1 for 50yrs and spend 109.5gp. But, a Commoner 4 or Warrior 2 for 100gp seems a bit better, though, who's to say that they're going to last you 50yrs (probably not)?

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »

me likes

... 219sp/year. You could outright hire a Commoner 1 for 50yrs and spend 109.5gp.
Not quite, it's 10sp per 1gp (making it 21.9gp/year to hire the commonor) rather than 100sp per 1gp, so it only takes the slave about 5 years of labor to pay itself off. Still expensive, but slightly more reasonable.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »
Mind that there's a clause stating that if the slave has any particularly useful abilities, like exceptional strength (or presumably class levels), that can double the price or more.  Really, I'd rather buy a boatload of 500g elephants from Arms and Equipment.  Good stuff at low levels.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Hi Viletta. Didn't know you hung out on BG too.

Isn't the Lords of Madness price range aimed at the costs in a Mindflayer society? Considering they live underground, a commoner would actually be quite the rare commodity. Plus, emergency rations.

Also, it should be considered that a barely kept slave isn't very useful. The price should definitely be lower, due to maintenance costs (or higher if the costs aren't there: an Elan or Warforged slave doesn't require much that an actual slave does, so they'd rate above the average).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
I'd say, just half the costs of hiring an unskilled laborer.  that covers the upkeep.

as for the slaves effect, why the hell would he/she use more effort than a commoner1? it could be a 20th level wizard with 18's in all stats, and he is still going to act like an incompetent commoner1 with 10's in all stats.  In addition, he is gonna have quite an easier time escaping.

don't forget the roleplaying aspects of a slave. they do NOT want to be there. they will escape when they can.

I reccomend buying the cheap slave, and then freeing him. then offer him a job.  this combo should result in a massive + to your diplomacy check, and he will likely join you out of gratitude.

as for a slave working off a debt, the cost isn't any different from the hireling tables in the PHB.... since, it is in fact a hireling.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »
Meh, slaves cost too much all around, you have to buy stuff to keep them in line, manhandle them about, and whip them when they slack off.

Indentured servants are better. The two major differences in slave/indentured is you have to maintain an indentured and set them free after their 7 year contract is up, which is probably why this system was supported over slavery. However since we all know a well rested & fed slave means more moral which yields several times better productivity the first is a given. Infact since the indentured sevart choose to put him or her self in that position you can expect a higher level of moral to start with. And the limited contract is negligible given that you're out adventuring in the world and they will be several levels below you thus likely to be killed before their term is even close to being up.

Other benefits to choosing them over slaves is government support and of course their willful choice to sell them selves into that position. Even in regions where slavery is abolished indenturing would liking be supported which means the local guards and guilds would become part of your restraint system. Given that they choose to be there in the first place escapes are only likely if you grossly violate the purpose of becoming indentured, such as feeding them to dragons for sport. An interesting idea is to take the idea from the indentured and apply it to a villein (a type of serf). Then you get pun points.

Like slaves you can buy, sell, and trade them around. Physically abuse them, which can include rape which offers a special bonus of increasing the duration of the contract should they become pregnant regardless of a lost childbirth. An interesting note is that can be used for a low level campaign hook; an aristocrat is accused of impregnating and forcing abortions to force a no freedom effect, and the local priest is paid off with access rights to claim the aristocrat's house is cursed.

Serfs are another choice, though you would have to be a land owner to own one and it's even worse than slavery. Serfs are bound to the land they came with and are almost impossible to sell off. The biggest problem in owning your own collection of serfs is of course the fact you are a lord at that point. Thus a likely target of other lords wishing to increase their domain. I highly suggest buying a slave over seeking serfs and indentured over them all.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:22:49 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:23:08 AM »
Or you could field a diplomancer and go around with a legion of adoring fans. :D
Unless you combine it with the Spelunker...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 04:28:21 AM »
Or you could field a diplomancer and go around with a legion of adoring fans. :D
Unless you combine it with the Spelunker...
Thats how I first beat Tome of Horrors.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »
Slaves are free.  You just kidnap someone and repeatedly rape/torture/beat them until they're brainwashed and too afraid of the consequences of getting caught if they try to escape.  That's pretty much how it's done now, with the addition of addicting them to drugs.