Author Topic: Foray into pathfinder (core...)  (Read 2085 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Foray into pathfinder (core...)
« on: August 22, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
never played pathfinder varient before...

i have no on hand resources for it. beyond the basic wotc books..

so far the party is all non human, im leaning non human just because..

party is arcane heavy... i think most of them see this as a problem.

starting at 3rd lvl. some LA is acceptable, within preapproved flavor'd races provided... (knoll, ogre, some draconian varient, taurin (minotaur))

this is not a major optimized group..

books allowed are modified core, if i understand right the limited prc's have extra flavor reqs...

so my planned build

is Barb 1/ sorc X / maybe EK 10 /

if i recall knolls might be LA +1 , that would rule out EK as it looses that caster lvl..

i dont think many of the provided races are standard versions.. im not really trying to pick the race till last..

so the point of all this typing (my finger tips are still healing)

i know jack about pathfinder, and its version of sorcs and barbarians..

so thats what i need assistance with..

i have been looking abit at focusing on armored casting, core makes that somewhat of an issue..

im also leaning toward long duration spells...

so, any insights to doing this in pathfinder?

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

sonofzeal

• Curious George
Re: Foray into pathfinder (core...)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
First off...
[spoiler][/spoiler]
^  That is a Knoll.

You probably mean...
[spoiler][/spoiler]
....a Gnoll.

Second, Gnolls have two racial hitdice and LA+1, which makes them ECL 3 before class level.  Your EK would end up being behind by five caster levels... unless your group allows LA Buyoff, in which case you're "only" behind by four.

Third, Gnoll is a pretty substandard race anyway.  They lose way too much and what they gain isn't really worth it.  You could probably do a lot better playing as just about anything else.  If you want to keep the monstrousness, Hobgoblins with LA buyoff are a lot better.  Still suboptimal (they should get a racial bonus feat like humans, possibly restricted to the Fighter list), but much more playable.

Fourth, at least in 3.5e, you can't cast spells while Raging.  I know Pathfinder totally changed things around and now you get "Rage points" or somesuch, but doublecheck on this.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:41:41 PM by sonofzeal »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:34:37 AM »
Well...not entirely true.  In Dragon there is a feat that allows full spellcasting while raging, but Dragon isn't usually allowed...

As for PF, if you want to play armored caster and the party is arcane heavy, maybe a cleric?  That aside, either a sorc or a wizard for the spell base would be nice given the extras they get in PF now (sorc bloodlines are sexy), and actually, the PrC Dragon Disciple is almost worth it (and rather gish-like at that).  The capstone ability of EK IIRC is pretty keen, but I don't have the document in front of me to elaborate...I do remember the PF Mystic Theurge capstone though is basically a dual spell (one arcane, one divine) in the same round.  Combine with Arcane Spellsurge and Quicken Spell on the Arcane Fusion family and you can basically emulate 2nd Ed Simbul spellcasting :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:48:07 AM »
its no dragon..

i gnow its gnoll, but i like knoll...

im not sure about the race details atm, they are mildly customized, and probably wont be overly optimal..

if i recall the campaign material correctly, a 'gnoll' will be a +1 LA..

the concept would be a barbarian who develops powers, (i would use warlock if it were an option, and about anything else for that matter..).

the rage is only going to be used at the lower levels.. with spell casting reserved for more opportune moments..

i will have a big hp lead on my party.. especially for a caster.. most of them being wiz's..

if the gnoll turns out to be +2 LA then its out all around, and i may go halfling barb / sorc.

i got the low down on the pathfinder barbs n sors.. need to pick what types of each now..

so far, it looks like claws, buff, rage @ low lvls, then more traditional casting as melee becomes less worthwhile..

Anim-manga sux.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »
nice, ty

Anim-manga sux.

jreyst

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Hey guys - I'm jreyst, the creator and primary maintainer of http://www.d20pfsrd.com. Thanks for noticing it and coming by. I'd love to hear any comments, complaints, or suggestions. If you have any please post them on the boards.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
There is a new SRD for the Pathfinder 3.75 rules.  Here's the link:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

There are 3 primary considerations in your position:

1) Pathfinder sorcerers get free heritage powers, you will choose from Draconic, Aberrant, Abyssal, Arcane, Celestial, Draconic, etc.  The heritage will provide you with some progressing powers and spells known.  I would take a look at the "destined" bloodline for a gish.

2) Pathfinder Barbarians get additional rage powers.  You get new powers starting at 2nd level, making it painful to break with just a 1 lvl dip (though for EK it's probably still a good choice)

3) The Pathfinder EK has a power called "Diverse Training" that makes EK more synergetic with fighter levels.  Just something to consider.

Personally, I would probably consider a Fighter 1/Sorcerer (destined) x/EK x
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:58 AM »
i settled on h-elf +2 cha barb 1  / sorc 2.

i began w/ 33 hp, ac 14, elemental lightning bloodline, falchion, mithral shirt.. 
my melee attack is +8 w/ rage to hit and +6 dmg

i have the 1d6 elemental ray, and cantrip acid spash for all day d3s...

i took exp retreat and true strike as my lvl 1 spells... TS is V and F, so basically just V for casting.. no armor trouble..

our party, what a collection, sheesh..

1 elf snob wizard
1 draconian -homebrewd- some melee type , not sure about what
1 ogre paladin of pelor
1 human palidin
1 human wiz?
1 helf barb sorc

i had second most hp in the party, behind the draco.

we blundered our way into the presented module...

encounter 1, a roadside ambush of hobgobs w/ a cleric assist and some hell hounds.

i think it was three waves of attack at us... i raged, natural 20 confirmed crit on my first hit (my only hit of the game).

i finished my rage, was defatigued by one of the palys, and we went to the next town where the lawfull arrogant pist off the town gaurd, and we called it a day..

Anim-manga sux.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »
There is a new SRD for the Pathfinder 3.75 rules.  Here's the link:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

There are 3 primary considerations in your position:

1) Pathfinder sorcerers get free heritage powers, you will choose from Draconic, Aberrant, Abyssal, Arcane, Celestial, Draconic, etc.  The heritage will provide you with some progressing powers and spells known.  I would take a look at the "destined" bloodline for a gish.

2) Pathfinder Barbarians get additional rage powers.  You get new powers starting at 2nd level, making it painful to break with just a 1 lvl dip (though for EK it's probably still a good choice)

3) The Pathfinder EK has a power called "Diverse Training" that makes EK more synergetic with fighter levels.  Just something to consider.

Personally, I would probably consider a Fighter 1/Sorcerer (destined) x/EK x

You've been ninja'ed.

Bard seriously sucks for a Diplomancer. Shame the Gleemax boards are down (I can't believe I just said that), otherwise I'd pull up the original build.

There's basically 2 ways to do this:

1: Vow of Nonviolence on a Marshal 1/Exemplar 1/Cleric 5/Anything that advances Cleric casting for 13 levels, and use the spell from the Spell Compendium that grants you CL+5 to a single skill check, then spam checks until you hit. A Legacy Item and an Item Familiar both help here.

2: Abuse Glibness and Exemplar, then Bluff your way into a horde. Or Break Dance. We've done "Glare and Think Angry Thoughts" too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]