Author Topic: Hmm... Should we...?  (Read 13724 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Hmm... Should we...?
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:38:13 PM »
Ok, I have a specific question now, but I want to make this thread general enough that when other questions come up I have a place to go.

I struggle sometimes with decisions about the show and would love to get feedback while I can still change it instead of after the fact.

For example-- a couple of folks pointed out that there was no sort of break in the show so now we do "commercial breaks" to split up sections and try to make it so no one section is longer than 20 minutes. 

We're definitely going to watch our Burning Wheel/ Savage Worlds idolization. 

We levelate the shows now.

But there are other choices and decisions that I need help with, so please check here and offer advice! 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Hmm... Should we...?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:46:03 PM »
Question 1)  How explicit should the content be?

I ask you to answer this not just from your personal point of view (though let us know that too) but in a general advice sense too. 

Where is the line?  How far should we go?  I'm tempted to take it whereever, but I don't want to loose credibility and quality either.

I ask specifically because I'm debating whether or not to edit a section in our upcoming Episode 15 where there is a brief, yet fairly graphic sexual advice conversation that came up. 

It's funny.  But has nothing to do with gaming at all and may overpower the topic.

Thoughts?

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »

MAaking the content as M for mature should cover it credibility and quality wise. I doubt the podcasts are would ever hit a point that your average adult would be uncomfortable with frank sexuality.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:28:08 PM »
I suppose you need to ask yourself whether the conversation would cause folks to lose rationality.  Then again, I don't really hold to the seven words theory.
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
I'm probably not the best person to ask but there is very little you could say to make me uncomfortable and just random tangents, IMO, wouldn't make you lose credibility.  Saying things like "SWSE is the worst game ever!" would make you lose credibility. :P
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
IMO, you're over thinking it Meg.  I think it is fine as it is.  Don't fix what isn't broke and all that.
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
I would be fine with it personally, and I think in general, as long as you put an "M for mature" as straw man said, it would be perfectly ok.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:32:54 PM »
While I am fine with the "lewditity" of the show, there are definitely people I do not promote the show to.

In some cases, I know it would offend them.  In other cases, it could adversly effect my professional standing with them (I could have used your "stoplight speach" idea as a jumping off point for discussion, but by it's very nature it wasn't business appropriate).

That said, you have already established yourself as NSFW, so I think that the people you have drawn to the podcast probably won't have a problem if you took it to the next level...

Yes, I'm hedging my bets here, in case you bust out with some baby raping scenario or a scatological horror scene. :o :scared
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
By mentioning it, I think you are obligated to release it whether you leave it in or move it to a bonus clips 'sode.

That said, you have already established yourself as NSFW, so I think that the people you have drawn to the podcast probably won't have a problem if you took it to the next level...
+1

If it eats up too much time, take it out and release it separately, but if it's like a minute long, leave it in.  Don't cut anything because it's "explicit."

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:33:10 PM »
When it comes to credibility, I think you should focus more on the "Does it negatively impact our image as Brilliant Gameologists?" If it's a sexual advice column, how could that negatively impact your image? It can't, honestly. Well at least not in connection to gameology. The random tangents, both the suitable and NSFW, are wonderful aspects of the show, and I enjoy them. In reality, though, it's the quality of information and opinions given that keep me listening, and as long as that quality and credibility stays up, I don't think an inappropriate joke is going to have a negative affect on yoru credibility.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
I would be fine with it personally, and I think in general, as long as you put an "M for mature" as straw man said, it would be perfectly ok.

I concur.  In my podcasts, I rate all of the episodes as 'explicit' (even though I've found out some people play them outloud at work, others are using them to learn English, etc - all of which frighten me) because then nobody will ever say "Oh, you said a dirty word' or 'Oh, that is a bit of a graphic description of the autopsy' or 'Oh, that guy just french kissed a goat' - it is all covered.  Yes, I think all of those examples have happened at some point within the campaign.
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:38:49 AM »
In my personal preference I want it to be funny.  I just spent today a work flipping through dozens of podcasts and most of them are as boring as hell. 

I have the same play when I look for 'actual play' podcasts. 

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »
Question 1)  How explicit should the content be?

I ask you to answer this not just from your personal point of view (though let us know that too) but in a general advice sense too. 

Where is the line?  How far should we go?  I'm tempted to take it whereever, but I don't want to loose credibility and quality either.

I ask specifically because I'm debating whether or not to edit a section in our upcoming Episode 15 where there is a brief, yet fairly graphic sexual advice conversation that came up. 

It's funny.  But has nothing to do with gaming at all and may overpower the topic.

Thoughts?

Personal point of view: Sex is as natural as breathing, this society makes way too much of a deal out of it.  Why not talk about it?  I blame the puritan legacy >.< 

Overall perspective: Frankly, I think your comic will have the same number of listeners anyway.  Yes by keeping it M, you might make some 10 year old not be able to listen (without getting headphones.)  On the other hand, you will retain mature listeners like me for far longer since we greatly enjoy the occasional sexual overtone. 

Overall, considering overall perspective is neutral, i have to go with my gut instinct and advice you to keep all the sex in.  As an added bonus, you'll probably enjoy making podcasts more and thus deliver better content if you don't have to think about censoring yourself all the time.

On a related note,
You're sexy. :)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
I haven't actually had time to sit down and listen to the casts yet ( :wall ), but in my opinion, treat it in the editing process just like you would any non-explicit material.

If you're still a bit unsure, offer an explicit and an edited version of that episode (though this may set a precedent that people expect to continue) or just offer a warning off the original link that this time around gets a lil raunchier than others.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 06:14:54 PM »

Go for it Meg. We'd appreciate if you speak the way you want to.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Alright, I'm leaving it in.  The episode will be released on our normal schedule- Sunday. 

I think my main concern was that it was so non-sequitor and crossed the line from being funny sexual to a bit graphic sexual.  It's absolutely though the type of thing I'd just say when hanging out (and definitely not the type of thing I'd ever say at work), so it's me and natural.  But I don't want to have comments that will blur the rest of the episode.  It's like Serenity-- my main concern with Wash's death is that at the time, that was all anyone could talk about with the movie.  After I came out of mourning, I realized that yes, the death did its job in terms of setting the stage for what a clusterfuck the situation was, but it overwhelmed the rest of the movie to a point too. 

I think that's where I'd want to draw a line from a director/producer point of view.  No one thing should be so extreme that the whole hour could be summed into "OMG, When Josh compared Indianapolis with Vagina, that was so funny!"  I want moments of shock to be interspersed with information- so it could be "The description of Aces and Eights was great, and I loved the description of a Stoplight Speech and omg, when Josh compared Indy with vag, that was hilarious!"

And on that...

Question 2)
When we have a cool idea, what do you think about us having a WS mini-description in the midst of our (usually) NSFW full out description?  I ask this because of DragonSnack's comment about the Stoplight speech-- the idea of a stoplight speech is a really good one and essential for proper marketing, and it is traditionally called an "Elevator Speech" but we gave it a dirty twist.  I think if we had been more clear about "You could also call it an Elevator Speech if you were in mixed company" then the issue DS had may not have come up. 

I don't want to be seen as pandering, but I think the highlight of our show is #1 Good advice and #2 funnies.  I don't want the #2 to detract from the #1 either.

Thoughts?

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
It's like Serenity-- my main concern with Wash's death is that at the time, that was all anyone could talk about with the movie.  After I came out of mourning, I realized that yes, the death did its job in terms of setting the stage for what a clusterfuck the situation was, but it overwhelmed the rest of the movie to a point too. 

What, Wash died?

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »
NOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!! :weep

Question 2) When we have a cool idea, what do you think about us having a WS mini-description in the midst of our (usually) NSFW full out description?  I ask this because of DragonSnack's comment about the Stoplight speech-- the idea of a stoplight speech is a really good one and essential for proper marketing, and it is traditionally called an "Elevator Speech" but we gave it a dirty twist.  I think if we had been more clear about "You could also call it an Elevator Speech if you were in mixed company" then the issue DS had may not have come up.
It's been some time since I listened to the episode, but IIRC, you did say it's normally called an "elevator speech".  The thing is, it's easier to link to something and say "Hey, I just heard this and thought that we should discuss it and collaborate on our own...blah, blah, blah".  It was the other comments as to why it was important, not just the idea.

Of course, it helps that I would have been bringing it up to a gaming company and I could have linked to it without it being overly nerdy, which probably isn't a concern in most cases.
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 03:32:15 AM »
I started working at my company in 98.  Due to its circumstances it had a 80's 90's mentality quite a bit longer than other companies having just barely covered its old ways up.  This PC sterile hum-drum workplace is a facade.  Just like the Leave it to Beaver perception of the 1950s. 

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009