Author Topic: Urgent Help needed with a Crusader  (Read 2910 times)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
Urgent Help needed with a Crusader
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
Okay, game today/tomorrow, and I haven't had access to books in a while, plus 339 is down.

So, Leon is the big bad guard of the Black Academy, in RttToH. My concept is, that he should be really able at his given task, that is, preventing unwanted entry to the Academy.

He was originally specced as a Fighter 14, in 2e, so preferrably no spellcasting. He's supported in the encounter by several level 1-6 necromancers,

PCs are 14th level and not particularily optimized. PCs have rolled stats averaging a 45 point buy.

The encounter starts with no presumed initial hostilities, so the PCs will probably have a surprise round.

Help?

[spoiler]
Leon
LE Human Crusader 13

Str 18
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 14

Crusader: 13 bab
HP 76 + 39
saves +8/+4/+4
maneuvers k 10  r 6((4) s 3
Smite 1/d, Die Hard, Mettle, Steely Resolve 20

Feats:
1 Extra Granted Maneuver
b Adaptive Style
3 Stone Power
5 Combat Reflexes
7 PF Improved Toughness (3+HD)
9 WF Greatsword
11 Imp Crit Greatsword

Maneuvers:
Stone Bones->Overwhelming Mountain Strike, Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike->Battle Leader's Charge->War Leader's Charge,
   Douse the Flames, Charging Minotaur->Bonecrusher
Tactical Strike, Allies free 5ft step
White Raven Tactics - Swift give Ally turn
Divine Surge - +8d6
Elder Mountain Hammer +6d6 no DR, Hardness
Rallying Strike - heal 3d6+13
Colossus Strike - +6d6, DC 17+STR fort. vs 1d4 sq. knockback+prone
Stances:
Leading the Charge, Giant's Stance

Nine Lives Stealer Greatsword 23,057gp (9x DC20 fort vs. death on crit)
Exoskeleton Armor - +1 Breastplate, DR 5/Bludgeoning 21,350gp (5, 4, -3)
Bonemail Graft - +2 nat AC

[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Re: Urgent Help needed with a Crusader
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:37 PM »
Will leon have assistance? An army of mooks to benefit from his White Raven buffs?

Consider trying for a Lockdown-style crusader. Thicket of Blades, spiked chain, robilar's gambit, etc. Depending on the party, this can be really annoying, especially if Leon can get llllarrrger (obscure reference ... cookie to the first person who finds it), and hold people at bay. Stand Still (feat from the XPH, but it doesn't require psionics and is in the SRD) is a decent feat for this as well.

Definitely give him the strikes that heal in either case. What's worse than a crusader? A crusader who heals himself while hurting his enemies.

Leon is also considerably in violation of the NPC wealth/level table. This isn't necessarily bad (you're the DM, after all), but over-equipping your monsters leads to over-equipped parties eventually.

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
Few squishy necromancers - 7 to be precise, with... actually, Reece being the toughest at level 4. I'll probably use something from npcwiki or dm-tools for those.

Lockdown is probably a good idea, albeit I am hesitant of switching to Spiked Chain, mainly for thematic reasons. It also wastes a feat.

Actually, he's within WBL CURRENTLY, as he has equipment worth of 44,407, and 45k is the 14th level WBL. He's currently at 13th, since 14th was empty, and I'm still thinking what to pick.

So, for lockdown, drop Greatsword stuff, get Robilard's, Stand Still, EWP:Spiked Chain?

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »
Hmm, you're right. I guess I was looking at the L13 WBL table.

I'd drop Adaptive Style (crusaders don't really need it, especially since you can "cheat" and pick the appropriate maneuvers readied anyway), WF and Imp Crit Greatsword. I'm not sure where you're getting Imp Toughness from, but that's not all that hot of a feat either. Remember that Combat Reflexes lets Leon make AoOs while flat-footed (many people forget this). Depending on the Party, Mage-Slayer can be good too (from CA, make AoOs against casters even if they cast defensively).

A single level of either warblade or swordsage could be really good at L14 actually. He'd have an IL of 7, good enough to pick up 4th-level maneuvers if you do it right. Swordsage balances out saving throws and gives you a couple "get out of jail" cards- cloak of deception and shadow jaunt are dead sexy. In that case, you might want to get adaptive style after all (that's really the only reasonable way swordsages can recover maneuvers).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
Devote yourself to an Elder Evil. You'll get 3 bonus feats, all of which will help your build.

Oh, and don't use the Nine Lives Stealer. The death effect can be blocked so easily. Use the Enervating quality from the Magic Item Comendium. Death Effects with a low Save DC aren't that good against PCs in general, and they'd be more worried about losing levels anyway.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
Okay, confirmed time 'til tomorrow.

Acererak isn't an Elder Evil -- yet. If he succeeds he'll make a nice one, though.

I'll take a look at Enervating, definitely.

Swordsage dip might be worth considering.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
Okay, confirmed time 'til tomorrow.

Acererak isn't an Elder Evil -- yet. If he succeeds he'll make a nice one, though.

I'll take a look at Enervating, definitely.

Swordsage dip might be worth considering.

He's dead. Acererak is a Vestige now, and not capable of being an Elder Evil. Serotus or Atropus are the new Acererak. Atropus fits the Undead theme, while Serotus is awesome because he opens up every single Domain for Devotion feats/PrC.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ashyl

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 01:44:18 PM »
Devote yourself to an Elder Evil. You'll get 3 bonus feats, all of which will help your build.

What book is that devoting from? Vile Darkness?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

What book is that devoting from? Vile Darkness?
Appropiately enough, Elder Evils. It was, IIRC, the last splatbook for 3.5.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »
If you dont like spiked chain for thematic reasons, I like the greatspear. If you need feats you could also throw in a flaw or two if your comfortable with that sort of thing, something like shaky.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
If you dont like spiked chain for thematic reasons, I like the greatspear. If you need feats you could also throw in a flaw or two if your comfortable with that sort of thing, something like shaky.

The Greatspear isn't worth the feat. It has no advantage over the Longspear other than damage, and that's marginal at best.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
Ive heard the argument that it can be used on adjacent foes as the description does not say it cannot. Though I will admit it is iffy. If you are aginst that, then might I suggest the Duom.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »
What about a gold mercurial ribbon greatspear?  Each would make these exotic, and if you're spending a feat, make 'em all exotic.

Alternatively, make him a Hood.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »
Dont think it could be gold and ribbon. Also greatspear is x3 crit already so the ribbon isnt really necessary.. ..though spikard.. ;)

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
He's dead. Acererak is a Vestige now, and not capable of being an Elder Evil. Serotus or Atropus are the new Acererak. Atropus fits the Undead theme, while Serotus is awesome because he opens up every single Domain for Devotion feats/PrC.
Actually, no. I guess you didn't spot the acronym for "Return to the Tomb of Horrors"?

He's not dead unless the PCs make him so..

...Longspear + Armor Spikes?

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:54 PM »
It works, but need to be seperatly enchanted as is the usuall downfall for TWF. Longspear+ 5 foot step works pretty well also, though can be countered depending on party tactics.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:31 PM »
Dont think it could be gold and ribbon. Also greatspear is x3 crit already so the ribbon isnt really necessary.. ..though spikard.. ;)

Spikards are specific weapons. You cannot turn a Greatspear into a Greatspear Spikard.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agahii

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
Hmm my mistake I suppose, I just saw the suggestion of doing it a few times here and there. Do not have that book myself.