Author Topic: Rogue/Sorcerer blaster?  (Read 4867 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Rogue/Sorcerer blaster?
« on: August 21, 2009, 05:39:40 AM »
Kevin_video and I were emailing about such a character. He played with a guy with a Rogue/Sorcerer with Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, WF (Ray) and Maximise Spell, possibly some others. He didn't take Arcane Trickster. It was so good the DM banned it.
How does this character get 100 damage/ray at 4 rays per round, even at lvl 20?
Taking more Rogue levels for more SA dice cuts in the caster levels, while more Sorcerer levels cuts in the SA dice.
I see using Disintegrate follow by a quickened Scorching Ray, which would yield (with a Sorc15/Rog5) 115.5 damage followed by 3x 24.5, if the target is flatfooted and subject to sneak attack. It does cost you two lvl 6 slots, though, and the Scorching Rays are subject to Spell Resistance. It also assumes he has Quicken Spell and Arcane Preparation/other means to avoid Sorcerer fullround Metamagicing.

I'm really curious. Kevin, if you read this, feel free to post here.  ;)

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Rogue/Sorcerer blaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »
Maybe it's something like

Female Human Rogue 1/Sorcerer 4/Unseen Seer 4/Hathran 5/Unseen Seer +6

5d6 sneak attack normally, and you can tack on a hunter's eye for more. A lot more.

Caster level (with buffs that I find very reasonable for a divination focused level 20 caster) is...  51. [40 (circle magic) + 3 (divination spell power) + 1 (talisman of boccob) + 1 (create magic tattoo) + 2 (oracle domain power [catalogues of enlightenment]) + 1 (Ring of Arcane Might) + 1 (Ioun Stone, Rose Prism) + 2 (spell enhancer)]

Total sneak attack 22d6, or 22-132 damage (average 77), utterly discounting the attack's damage itself.

The casting of multiple spells per round was probably achieved through greater arcane fusion, possibly paired with arcane spellsurge.

But with the improved sneak attack from hunter's eye shenanigans, that scorching ray of yours deals 3x 91 average damage, rather than 3x 24.5.

edit: throw on Reserves of Strength to raise that scorching ray to 12 rays, for a total of 324-1944 damage (average 1134). I do love me some Reserves of Strength.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:17:38 AM by Emy »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »
Maybe it's something like

Female Human Rogue 1/Sorcerer 4/Unseen Seer 4/Hathran 5/Unseen Seer +6

5d6 sneak attack normally, and you can tack on a hunter's eye for more. A lot more.

Caster level (with buffs that I find very reasonable for a divination focused level 20 caster) is...  51. [40 (circle magic) + 3 (divination spell power) + 1 (talisman of boccob) + 1 (create magic tattoo) + 2 (oracle domain power [catalogues of enlightenment]) + 1 (Ring of Arcane Might) + 1 (Ioun Stone, Rose Prism) + 2 (spell enhancer)]

Total sneak attack 22d6, or 22-132 damage (average 77), utterly discounting the attack's damage itself.

The casting of multiple spells per round was probably achieved through greater arcane fusion, possibly paired with arcane spellsurge.

But with the improved sneak attack from hunter's eye shenanigans, that scorching ray of yours deals 3x 91 average damage, rather than 3x 24.5.

edit: throw on Reserves of Strength to raise that scorching ray to 12 rays, for a total of 324-1944 damage (average 1134). I do love me some Reserves of Strength.

Well, I do am impressed with this build, but I have a *slight* hunch that that player never heard of anything apart from Sorcerer and Rogue in that build. :)

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:52:05 AM »
Kevin_video and I were emailing about such a character. He played with a guy with a Rogue/Sorcerer with Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, WF (Ray) and Maximise Spell, possibly some others. He didn't take Arcane Trickster. It was so good the DM banned it.
How does this character get 100 damage/ray at 4 rays per round, even at lvl 20?
Taking more Rogue levels for more SA dice cuts in the caster levels, while more Sorcerer levels cuts in the SA dice.
I see using Disintegrate follow by a quickened Scorching Ray, which would yield (with a Sorc15/Rog5) 115.5 damage followed by 3x 24.5, if the target is flatfooted and subject to sneak attack. It does cost you two lvl 6 slots, though, and the Scorching Rays are subject to Spell Resistance. It also assumes he has Quicken Spell and Arcane Preparation/other means to avoid Sorcerer fullround Metamagicing.

I'm really curious. Kevin, if you read this, feel free to post here.  ;)

My gut instinct is that the DM just wasn't ready to handle a blaster wizard, and that he'd have been even more awesome as a sorcerer 20 :P

Emy's build is pretty kick-ass by the way (Though with CL 51, why the hell would you even want to be dealing sneak attack damage instead of wings of flurry or something?)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »
Like I said, I was very impressed with Emy's build. But if you one gets to make that, he probably has indeed better things up his sleeve than sneak attacking...

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »
that build is almost identical to one i just started. Don't have access to FR stuff so no circle magic but it is pretty much what i'm playing now. I went with a nice selection of ray spells that all dealt different types of damage, including ability damage. DM waived the dragon blooded requirement for Easy Meta, they didn't want any dragon blooded characters in game. So now i'm going into it with easy split rays and arcane thesis on my key spells for fun. my key ones will be blast of force, force damage ray that has save for knockdown and disintegrate.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »

My gut instinct is that the DM just wasn't ready to handle a blaster wizard

this makes me sad...

what sorta wiz was the DM ready for?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »

My gut instinct is that the DM just wasn't ready to handle a blaster wizard

this makes me sad...

what sorta wiz was the DM ready for?
None.  He wasn't ready.  He has no idea what characters are capable of.

He simply out performed their 15th level sword & board fighter swinging his flaming bastard sword for 1d10 + 1d6 + 8 damage.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
HEY!!!

He power attacked for at LEAST +4 damage, that should count for something!!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »
 :rollseyes
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »
lol Wow, I can't believe I never saw this thread before.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
your new title is thread necromancer. guard it well.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
your new title is thread necromancer. guard it well.

Ahem, Anklebite.

Less than a year of necromancy is no match for my 2+ years of necromancy, so the title is still MINE.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »
Great, someone is going to necro the oldest thread on here now >.>

P.S.
Cold Caster, nuff said.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »
Must RESIST URGE TO...

NECRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, that's out of my system.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing