Author Topic: Is this class Balanced?  (Read 12618 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Is this class Balanced?
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
That, or you use the bullshit Spot rules in the PHB to determine if you could "see" it. :p

Which would probably work as a makeshift range limiter for that ability.
Except they're bullshit rules, don't work anything remotely accurately in roughly half the cases (not to mention the modifiers depending on terrain are hidden in half the books anyhow, so most DMs run them incorrect in the first place), and are easy to break.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2010, 05:00:54 PM »
That, or you use the bullshit Spot rules in the PHB to determine if you could "see" it. :p

Which would probably work as a makeshift range limiter for that ability.
Except they're bullshit rules, don't work anything remotely accurately in roughly half the cases (not to mention the modifiers depending on terrain are hidden in half the books anyhow, so most DMs run them incorrect in the first place), and are easy to break.
You can't see that mountian range!  You're a mile away so you have a -528 to Spot!

How do people in D&D know when it's daytime?  The penalty to see the sun is well into the billions at least.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »
How do people in D&D know when it's daytime?  The penalty to see the sun is well into the billions at least.

One assumes because the sun is of a previously unheard of size catagory so large that it cancels out the modifier.  In which case the earth is too, and thus you can always see the earth.  That's the other thing about this ability... you can target squares with it, not enemies, so seeing enemies isn't actually necessary.

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
One assumes because the sun is of a previously unheard of size catagory so large that it cancels out the modifier.  In which case the earth is too, and thus you can always see the earth. 

My PC can also see other solar systems? And other galaxies? And quasars that are 18 million light years away, because they're millions of times larger then our sun?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
One assumes because the sun is of a previously unheard of size catagory so large that it cancels out the modifier.  In which case the earth is too, and thus you can always see the earth. 

My PC can also see other solar systems? And other galaxies? And quasars that are 18 million light years away, because they're millions of times larger then our sun?

They're also a fuckton times farther away, so the penalties are still bigger.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
what's the spot penalty for a million light years...??

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
what's the spot penalty for a million light years...??

OVER 9000!

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
Minus OKKUSENMAN!!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
Well, even if they couldn't see the sun, they'd still be able to see the effects of the sun's light.  So it would just become light or dark periodically in their crazy world.

Of course, what would they see when they looked to the sky?  Even during day time, would it look blue?  You wouldn't be able to see far enough to actually get any color from it.  So the sky would always look black, but during daytime, everything within range would be light.

I'm glad these Spot rules were well thought out.  We wouldn't want any inconsistencies in our games.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »
Well, even if they couldn't see the sun, they'd still be able to see the effects of the sun's light.  So it would just become light or dark periodically in their crazy world.

Of course, what would they see when they looked to the sky?  Even during day time, would it look blue?  You wouldn't be able to see far enough to actually get any color from it.  So the sky would always look black, but during daytime, everything within range would be light.

I'm glad these Spot rules were well thought out.  We wouldn't want any inconsistencies in our games.

I LoLed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]