Author Topic: Homebrew already  (Read 1209 times)

Squash Monster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Homebrew already
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:38:49 AM »
One of the things that excites me most about 4E is how easy it is to homebrew for.  I have to admit that, even though the system is still barely even out, I haven't been able to resist trying my hand at some homebrew races.  Is anybody else excited about homebrewing for 4E?

Also, if anyone is curious, here's one of the homebrews I've done so far: Myconids as characters.
[spoiler]Myconid
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution , +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Darkvision

Languages: none (mute, any languages learned can be understood but not spoken)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Nature
Plant Traits: You are considered a plant for the purpose of any effect related to creature type.
Telepathy Spores: You may use telepathy spores as an at-will power.
Pacification Spores: You may use stun spores as an encounter power.

Telepathy Spores - Myconid Racial Power
By spreading telepathically linked spores, you can communicate with others.
At Will
Free Action - Melee touch
Target: One creature
Effect: You can communicate telepathically with the target for one hour.  Telepathic communication is silent, works in both directions, and you and the target do not need to share a language to understand each other.  The maximum range for telepathic communication is 20 squares.  If you have used telepathy spores on more than one target, your telepathic "speech" goes to all of them at once, but theirs goes only to you.

Stun Spores - Myconid Racial Power
You spread a cloud of pacifying spores to calm aggressors.
Encounter ~ Sleep
Standard Action - Close Blast 3
Targets:All creatures in area
Attack: Constitution vs Will, Dexterity vs Will, or Wisdom vs Will
Hit: The target is slowed (save ends).  If the target fails its first saving throw against this power, the target becomes stunned (save ends).
Special: When you create your character, choose Constitution, Dexterity, or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power.  This choice remains throughout your character's life and does not change the power's other effects.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:59:50 AM by Squash Monster »

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
Re: Homebrew already
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
Yeah, definitely.  Making new Paragon paths balanced should be much easier than making a balanced PrC was for a start.

I'm gonna rewrite the base classes - I just don't like em, ymmv.

Thing is, I'm not sure this was the intention - I suspect a streamlined system is intended to make the DDI work.  But if everyone homebrews stuff, or houserules multiclassing, or whatever, then I can see it collapsing.  In same way I've never found an online character generator that survived contact with houserules/variant systems.

I like the bare bones of 4e (classes aside, and I still think there's too much magic item dependency).  DDI/Gleemax on t'other hand looks like being made of fail.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:11:59 AM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

atanakar

Re: Homebrew already
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »