Author Topic: Character Review: L30 Wizard/BattleMage/Demigod  (Read 2058 times)

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
Character Review: L30 Wizard/BattleMage/Demigod
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »
My group is going to run through a L30 one-shot. I chose to be the party's wizard. So, I wanted to get the community's opinions on the build for him. And, at the same time, make sure I didn't forget anything.

Eladrin

HP: 126+18+15 = 159

Wizard/BattleMage/Demigod
Wand Mastery

Abilities
(l=level r=race ed=epic destiny)
STR: 10 + 0(0) = 10 +2 +1(l) = 13
CON: 10 + 4(5) = 14 +2 +2(ed) = 18
DEX: 10 + 4(5) = 14 +2 +2(r) +4(l) = 22
INT: 10 + 6(9) = 16 +2 +2(r) +6(l) +2(ed)= 28
WIS: 10 + 3(3) = 13 +2 +1(l) = 16
CHA: 8 + 0(0) = 8 +2 = 10

Defenses:
AC 10+15(l)+6(armor)+1(shield)+9(int)+6(item)=47
Fort 10+15(l)+4(con)+6(item)=35
Ref 10+15(l)+9(int)+6(item)=42
Will 10+15(l)+3(wis)+2(class)+6(item)+1(race)=38

Initiative: 15(level)+6(dex)+4(imp init)+3(item) = +28 (roll twice)

Powers: (R=Racial P=ParagonPath E=EpicDestiny)
At Will: Ray of Frost, Magic Missile
EncounterDaily: Closing Spell(P), Ice Storm/Legion's Hold, Prismatic Spray/Necrotic Web, Wall of Ice/Evard's Black Tentacles
Utility: Arcane Rejuvenation(P), Divine Regeneration(E), Time Stop/Mordenkainen's Mansion, Displacement/Stoneskin, Blur/Mirror Image, Invisibility/Dimension Door, Feather Fall/Expeditious Retreat

INT vs [X]: 15(level)+9(INT)+5(implement)= +29

Special: Arcane Riposte, Battle Mage Action, Battle Edge, Divine Recovery, Divine Miracle, Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter

Skills: Arcana, History, Nature, Religion, Heal(Ranger), Dungeoneering(Race)

Equipment: (1092240 gp)
Mantle of the Seventh Wind (L23, +5) (-425000)
Light Guardian Shield (L30, special) (LEVEL+1) (FREE)
Magic Wand (L21, +5) (-225000)
Boots of Striding (-4200)
Helm of Battle (L29, +3 to init) (LEVEL-1)
Scarab of Invulnerability (L30, +6 to defenses, special) (LEVEL)
Ring of Protection (L17, +1 to saving throws, special) (-65000)
Ring of Regeneration (L24, +3 HP per healing surge, special) (-525000)
Handy Haversack (L10, special) [x2] (-10000)
Flying Carpet (L20, special) (-125000)
Ritual Candle (L11, 1/day gain +2 item bonus to ritual skill checks) [x3] (-27000)
Potion of Vitality (L15, +25 HP for healing surge) [x10] (-10000)
Potion of Recovery (L25, +50 HP for healing surge) [x4] (-100000)
Full McGuyver armament of adventuring gear in HH (FREE)

RitualsFeats:
Heroic: (6)
Warrior of the Wild
Improved Initative
Toughness
Durable
Lethal Hunter
Wintertouched

Paragon: (6)
Feywild Protection
Arcane Reach
Danger Sense
Evasion
Mettle
Improved second wind

Epic: (6)
Arcane Mastery
Epic Resurgence
Irresistable Flame
Spell Accuracy
Lasting Frost (P)
Shield Proficiency Light (H)

So, anything I grabbed that I shouldn't've, or didn't that I should've?

Several of the feats I took mostly because...well...I ran out of feats.  :plot Any suggestions for better ones?
Am I reading the Ranger multiclass right? Since I get Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter, and it lasts until the end of the encounter, I get to apply the bonus damage until they drop, right?
Is my INT vs [X] as high as it should be? Can it be higher in a way other than going with a +6 implement?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:11:46 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
Re: Character Review: L30 Wizard/BattleMage/Demigod
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:09 AM »
Archmage seems better than demigod.

For your lv29 daily, meteor swarm seems like a trap, so I would probably go with legion's hold.

For lv25 daily, elemental maw seems quite useful, and a prime target to be made into an encounter power.

Hmm...not really a lot of options, are there? :confused
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 02:24:49 AM »
No, there's not.  :)

I went with Demigod because with it I won't run out of encounter powers. And looking at the numbers at this level, encounters will last a LONG time. And getting +1/2 HP at 0 HP seems better than traipsing around as a pseudo-ghost for the rest of the encounter.

I think you're right about meteor storm though; I'll grab Ice Storm instead. The slashes represent the pairs for daily powers, if that wasn't clear.

Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:44:17 AM »
No, there's not.  :)

I went with Demigod because with it I won't run out of encounter powers. And looking at the numbers at this level, encounters will last a LONG time. And getting +1/2 HP at 0 HP seems better than traipsing around as a pseudo-ghost for the rest of the encounter.

Good catch. So if there is some really useful encounter power, you can keep cycling through it. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
Where's Spell Accuracy (epic)?  I'd also have Blind-Fight and Font of Radiance, but those aren't necessarily best.

Paragon Tier: there's a number of feats I tend to prefer.  I like Second Implement for versatility and Feywild Protection.
I'd also recommend Spell Focus if you didn't start with Cha 8...

Wintertouched and Lasting Frost make a great combo for extra damage and accuracy...

Also, I consider Burning Blizzard and Raging Storm to be just short of worthless.

All of these are IMO, so take them as you will. :wink

It's always fun to have someone go Demigod.  It's one of the better epic destinies, it really is.  :clap

Squirrelloid

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:00:15 PM »
If you're going blaster (and it seems like you are), Tiefling is by far the best race, and you'll want Charisma over Wisdom.  Specialize in fire/radiance which will give you a lot of reflex/will targetters (which is where you want to be).  You'll want hellfire blood for the +1 attack, astral fire for the damage bonus (it'll overwrite the hellfire blood bonus, but that +1 attack is worth like 2 feats), and tieflings have other great ways to get attack bonuses.

Here's a link to my (in progress) Wizard Handbook, which is mostly finished for the blast mage archetype and has a sample build.  Hope that helps, feel free to ask questions.
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels. -Chip 4:2