Author Topic: Stars, in your multitude, [Pregame setup]  (Read 20980 times)

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
Re: Stars, in your multitude, [Pregame setup]
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2008, 11:49:20 PM »
"Awaaiiight mang, now we're talkin'.  Mmmm, lesse... junk, junk, cool, junk... ah...."

I'll take some Galactic Press Standard Issue Vest of Bullet Proofing.  Druid's 'no metal' rule doesn't really have a reference in this setting so this seems like the most all natural thing I can get.  I wouldn't have gone over medium anyways, and thus keeps my speed up.

While the Improved Butter Knife is just peachy for me, I'm really in the market for a ranged weapon.  I don't know if you're allow two weapons on a person, and I can't think of any flavorful weapon at the moment.

What does a +1 Vacuum Sports Suit do, since it looks like we all benefit from Nikolao's 'background ability'.  (EDIT: Oh, found it, nm!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:58:35 PM by SolEiji »
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
Nikolao chooses the Stun Stick. [EDIT]: Although now that I see SolEiji's post, a ranged weapon would be better to have as a backup. Maybe a short-range stun gun type of weapon?
Nikolao further requests a special suit of armor not presented. Something very unrestricting (ACP 0 to prevent ASF) and preferably offering protection better than regular clothing. If nothing else, he'll make due with a snazzy new set of duds.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:52:11 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2008, 12:53:16 AM »
Mohji will take a Titanium Breast Plate, and a Tonfa
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:16:34 AM by Mohji »
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2008, 01:35:14 AM »
Finished, sheet updated including a list of stuff.  I'm a packrat, I have a little bit of everything.  I guess it's all in my bag o' junk.

I'm going to have to get one of those techie auto-item Haversacks one day.  :P

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:21 PM »
The bodysuit and tonfa.

I have a background, actually, but the funny thing is, it was going to be close to amnesia.  Basically, every time somebody asks him about his past, he gives a different answer.

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »
While the Improved Butter Knife is just peachy for me, I'm really in the market for a ranged weapon.  I don't know if you're allow two weapons on a person, and I can't think of any flavorful weapon at the moment.
Nikolao chooses the Stun Stick. [EDIT]: Although now that I see SolEiji's post, a ranged weapon would be better to have as a backup. Maybe a short-range stun gun type of weapon?

At this point, your characters are merely ready for trouble, but not exactly expecting it. Your spells should provide you with enough power that you can effectively neutralize any enemies in the near future. I'm also going to pull the first couple of punches...

-------

Nikolao further requests a special suit of armor not presented. Something very unrestricting (ACP 0 to prevent ASF) and preferably offering protection better than regular clothing. If nothing else, he'll make due with a snazzy new set of duds.

At the current character level, getting magically protective briefs is not a possibility. Good new is your Special Equipment feat will allow you to craft some later.

-------

What does a +1 Vacuum Sports Suit do, since it looks like we all benefit from Nikolao's 'background ability'.  (EDIT: Oh, found it, nm!)

Vacuum Sports Suit (before the+1)
This outfit features an enclosed environment suitable for exposure to the hazards of space. It's not too easy to move in, and the material makes rubbery squeaking noises as you move.
Holds enough resources to keep a person sealed inside alive for 4 hours.

Medium Armor
AC +1, Max Dex +3, ACP -5, ASP -8
Take no damage from exposure to space.
Immunity to inhaled poisons.
Ability to breathe in environments that normally wouldn't allow it.

Special Attributes: Based on your ranks in Survival
4: You cannot be detected by the Scent ability while this suit is sealed.
8: You no longer apply this suit's ACP to your jump and climb checks.
13: You gain resistance to Energy and Chemicals equal to your ranks in Survival

-------

The bodysuit and tonfa.

Er... which one is the body suit?

I have a background, actually, but the funny thing is, it was going to be close to amnesia.  Basically, every time somebody asks him about his past, he gives a different answer.

Personality quirk!

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »
Alright then, let's take the stun stick and the Galactic Press Standard Issue Vest of Bullet Proofing. Nikolao'll at least have a backup set of armor for when trouble eventually finds him  :D.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

ShaggyShaggs

• He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:24 AM »
Weapon: Improved Butter Knife
Armor: Galactic Press Standard Issue Vest of Bullet Proofing

Clothing: [spoiler]Fashionable outfit (courtier's outfit)
Ship suit (explorer's outfit)
Executive power suit (noble's outfit)
Grungy waster kid rags (peasant's outfit)
Student uniform (scholar's outfit)
assorted jewelry (120 gp worth)
signet ring[/spoiler]

Special Substances: [spoiler]LED torch (everburning torch)
Prop smoke grenades (smokesticks) * 25
Potassium/water capsule (alchemist's fire) * 10
Quickset elastomer capsule (tanglefoot bag) * 10
Single-use chemical thermal induction unit (tindertwig) *10[/spoiler]

Adventuring Gear: [spoiler]Water-free hygiene gel * 10 lb
Light tow cable (silk rope) * 500'
Anchoring hooks * 2
Footlocker
Magnetic wrist shackles
Codelock units (amazing quality) * 2
30-day supply of frozen pizzas, assorted flavours
Gallon jug of water * 3
Kinetic thermal induction unit (flint & steel)
Low-grade fuel (oil) * 11 pints
Panic button (signal whistle)[/spoiler]

I was going to wait till I heard whether by ASP you meant ASF, but then I realized I have little reason to worry since I ignore ASF from light armor anyway.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:15:20 AM by ShaggyShaggs »
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2008, 02:16:16 AM »
Nikolao's equipment rundown:

Adventuring Gear
[spoiler]
Item {equivalent} [quantity] (cost in gp)
Caltrops [x5] (5)
Crowbar [x2] (4)
Chain, 10ft [x3] (90)
Grappling Hook [x2] (2)
Space Blanket (.5)
Bedroll (.1)
Sidepack {backpack} (2)
Small Steel Mirror [x3] (30)
Sheet of Paper [100] (40)
Chepoetm Brand Writing Implement {inkpen} [x3] (.3)
Chepoetm Brand Writing Implement Power Source {inkwell} (8 )
Extendable Pole, 10ft [x1] (.2)
Belt Pouch [x5] (5)
Silk Rope, 50ft (10)
Signet Ring, with Nikolao's identifying mark (5)
Vial [x20] (20)
Chepoetm Brand Emergency Flare {torch} [x100] (1) <-- Probably kept in various compartments of the ship in such a way that there is always one at hand in case of a power outage.
Chepoetm Brand Lighter {flint and steel} (1)
[/spoiler]

Special Substances and Items
[spoiler]
Acid Flask [x5] (50)
Smokestick [x2] (40)
Chepoetm Brand Solrod. It's a Sun on a Stick! {sunrod} [x10] (20)
Firecracker {thunderstone} [x5] (150)
Chepoetm Brand Instant Flamestarter {tindertwig} [x10] (10)
[/spoiler]

Wardrobe
[spoiler]
Stun Stick [100 charges] (gratis)
Galactic Press Standard Issue Vest of Bullet Proofing
Cold Weather Outfit (8 ) Looks like this
Explorer's Outfit, dyed a caustic shade of green (10)
Scholar's Outfit, for dressy occasions (5)
Traveler's Outfit, for everydays. Includes a pair of jeans and a grungy-looking t-shirt. One long-sleeved, one short-sleeved. [x2] (4)
[/spoiler]

Total Expenditure: 513 gp 1 sp
Total Cash on Hand: 1486 gp 9 sp
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 02:58:15 AM »
Final Writeup for Nikolao, with equipment.

[spoiler](Nikolao Nochja)
(Human Wizard[Conj]3)

Hit Dice: 3d4+6 (15 HP)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30
Armor Class: 10 = 10 + 2(DEX) Touch: 12 Flat-footed: 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Stun Stick +1 1d8 20/x2 Blunt; or Stun Stick +1 1d6(B)+1d8(E) 20/x2 Nonlethal
Full Attack: Stun Stick +1 1d8 20/x2 Blunt; or Stun Stick +1 1d6(B)+1d8(E) 20/x2 Nonlethal
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities: Summon Monster as standard action
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 8
Skills: Concentration +8, Decypher Script +9, Knowledge(SuperScience, Mechanics, Computers, Electronics) +9
Feats: Spell Focus(Conjuration), Improved Initiative, Augment Summoning, Special Equipment
Languages Spoken: English, Esperanto, 1337, "F*** off"*
*Traditional language of the engineer. Consists of a various series of grunts and mumbles which are incomprehensible in meaning to those who do not speak the language, but nonetheless carry the implicit meaning of "F*** off, I'm busy with this stuff you couldn't even hope to understand."

Possessions:

Adventuring Gear
[spoiler]
Item {equivalent} [quantity] (cost in gp)
Caltrops [x5] (5)
Crowbar [x2] (4)
Chain, 10ft [x3] (90)
Grappling Hook [x2] (2)
Space Blanket (.5)
Bedroll (.1)
Sidepack {backpack} (2)
Small Steel Mirror [x3] (30)
Sheet of Paper [100] (40)
Chepoetm Brand Writing Implement {inkpen} [x3] (.3)
Chepoetm Brand Writing Implement Power Source {inkwell} (8 )
Extendable Pole, 10ft [x1] (.2)
Belt Pouch [x5] (5)
Silk Rope, 50ft (10)
Signet Ring, with Nikolao's identifying mark (5)
Vial [x20] (20)
Chepoetm Brand Emergency Flare {torch} [x100] (1) <-- Probably kept in various compartments of the ship in such a way that there is always one at hand in case of a power outage.
Chepoetm Brand Lighter {flint and steel} (1)
[/spoiler]

Special Substances and Items
[spoiler]
Acid Flask [x5] (50)
Smokestick [x2] (40)
Chepoetm Brand Solrod. It's a Sun on a Stick! {sunrod} [x10] (20)
Firecracker {thunderstone} [x5] (150)
Chepoetm Brand Instant Flamestarter {tindertwig} [x10] (10)
[/spoiler]

Wardrobe
[spoiler]
Stun Stick [100 charges] (gratis)
Galactic Press Standard Issue Vest of Bullet Proofing
Cold Weather Outfit (8 ) Looks like this
Explorer's Outfit, dyed a caustic shade of green (10)
Scholar's Outfit, for dressy occasions (5)
Traveler's Outfit, for everydays. Includes a pair of jeans and a grungy-looking t-shirt. One long-sleeved, one short-sleeved. [x2] (4)
[/spoiler]

Total Expenditure: 513 gp 1 sp
Total Cash on Hand: 1486 gp 9 sp

Spells known:
0: All
1: Summon Monster I; Benign Transposition; Lesser Orb of Acid; Alarm; Shield; Mage Armor; Feather Fall; Greater Mage Hand
2: Glitterdust; Summon Monster II
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Spells prepared:
0: Caltrops, Acid Splash*, [EMPTY], [EMPTY]
1: Summon Monster I, Benign Transposition, Lesser Orb of Acid*, [EMPTY]
2: Glitterdust, Summon Monster II*, [EMPTY]
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Character Description:
Quote from: Flavor
Physical, Mental:
Establishing Data link...Sucess.
Initiating Audio Feed...Success.
Initiating Video Feed...Success.
Beginning Transmission.
"What, you wanna know about me? Fine. I'm...uh...shit. How old am I? Nevermind. I'm 6-foot and some, with jet black hair. I'm no pushover, either, so don't fucking cross me while I'm steering the tin can keeping us all alive! I'm told I'm not very senstive to others, whatever that means. Maybe they're referring to how I'm always calling the rest of my crew idiots. Because they are. I mean, it's not my fault if they can't keep up with my superior intellect...wait, what? That? Seriously? Damnit, get outta here..." skafjzzzflajklasf lkahsf flskas fjffdkl ... klaj42l@@#!  !$3.. j%&****&*6&#####
Data Link Terminated. Unknown Cause. Shutting Down.

Background:
As a child, Nikolao was always more interested in playing with whatever electronics he could get his hands on than playing with the other kids. And he liked it. Always tinkering, he eventually learned how to construct multi-gadgets, the basis for his current tech enhancements. By adapting the multi-gadget design to his own abilities, he was able to construct a one-of-a-kind set of tech-boosters. He eventually got into some trouble with the law ("damn bureaucracy got in my way" he maintains), forcing to go on the lam. As planet-hopped system to system, he built up a reputation for the beast place to find cheap widget-tech. Unbeknownst to him, that is precisely why he was chosen for the training program.
When the group formed, he was natural person to take the spot as ship's mechanic. When he isn't dealing with the dying hyperdrive or a de-polarized coupling, he's experimenting with gizmos to deck out the abilities of the other team-members. It's his job to make sure they don't get shunted into space, and he's fine with that. No matter to him; it's not like anyone else could hold the old rust bucket together.

Spellcasting:
Nikolao's "spells" are the effects produced by his unique multi-purpose gadgets which he must prepare daily, then uses over the course of the day. The critical thing to understand about how these gadgets work is that they tap into combined technologies of nanotech, chemistry, subspace energy, complex mechanical systems, and the sheer ingenuity of the user. Because of the last of those things, only the person who prepared the gadgets can actually activate them. Nikolao expected the possibility of someone else attempting to make use of them, and they are therefore designed in such a way that random manipulation of the gadgets cannot result in their activation, nor does it disturb their preparation.

Unfortunately (for Nikolao) the devices are still in a sort of "beta" period. As such, they can only be prepped with so many abilities. Making use of an ability brings the gadget closer to its depleted state, until it finally reaches it. In a depleted state, a gadget cannot produce further effects until refreshed. Refreshing the gadgets requires 8 hours of self-managing repairs, followed by a period of up to one hour of prepping the gadgets with the desired settings for specific effects. Nikolao can, however, leave one of the devices at less than optimal capacity, allowing him to spend 15 to 60 minutes setting it to produce one of the available effects. As time goes on, and Nikolao is able to further refine the design, he can prep more abilities into the devices per day.

He currently keeps 3 gadgets on his person (1 per spell level). Some sample effects of the gadgets are detailed below:
0: Due to the multitude of "parlor tricks" one can manage with these types of devices, this gadget actually is more of a multi-tool. Although it is not able to produce the spectacular or reality-bending effects of other gadgets, it can produce an extremely large amount of minor effects.
1: Summon Monster I would be represented by projecting a piece of the device a ways away, which will subsequently unfold, via fixed nanotech harnessing local atmospheric constituents, into a robotic manifestation of the respective "monster." Alarm would leave a microscopic sensor which would create a secure subspace link to a receiver on the character's person, or would produce a high-pitched squeal via a small vibrating device. Feather Fall would cause the device to unfurl into a parachute/wing type apparatus which places itself on the character's shoulders to decrease his terminal velocity. Etc.
2: SMII would be similar to SMI. Glitterdust would produce a miniature gadget which, when tossed into position, begins to spew glitter into the region around it and flash brightly in order to blind those within its radius.

His "spellbook" is actually a briefcase which contains an embedded hyper-dimensional space, allowing him to store disproportionate amounts of material inside, but is limited to storing components for modifying his hyper-gadgets, due to the two being based on the same technology.
When he prepares his gadgets for the day, he must have access to this briefcase, or else he cannot access the necessary components to imbue the effects he wishes into his gadgets. In addition, given enough time, he can adapt external technologies into tech compatible with his system.

Verbal components would be verbal commands issued to the device(s)
Somatic components would be the physical manipulation of the gadget(s) to prep them for use.
Material components would be items required as a catalyst for the chosen function of the gadget.
Foci would be like material components, acting as catalysts as well, but would not be consumed.

Casting times longer (or shorter) than 1 standard action represent continued manipulation of the gadgets, or functions which are more automated.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:41:22 AM by AlterFrom »
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »
Mohji's writeup is final, on a side note my posting will be very limited till Sunday June 1st as I am attending A-kon in Dallas till that night.

[spoiler]

Mohji Chipoua
Human Fighter 3

Medium HumaniodRelevant Character AbilitiesPossessions:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:15:53 AM by Mohji »
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion

SolEiji

• D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
When do we start?  :O

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2008, 11:49:51 AM »
When do we start?  :O

How about as soon as JanusJones elaborates on his equipment  and gear? Unless he wants to be a peasant hero too...

The bodysuit and tonfa.

Er... which one is the body suit?

JanusJones

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
Sigh.

Look, guys - I'm up to my ears right now in real life, trying to get hired, help my students re-write research papers, perform Shakespeare, and study for their finals, finishing my thesis, and working through where I might move.  I was at a job fair in Chicago yesterday, have to go back (I live 4 hours away) on Wednesday, then I'm off to DC on Friday - Tuesday.  Meanwhile, my thesis is due tomorrow, my presentation of it is due Tuesday, I have an essay to write and a portfolio to construct for my interviews Wednesday, and I still haven't written my kids' exam.

I promise I'll be here and be invested, but it won't be for about 1.5 weeks.  If that means I'm out, that's cool.

Apologies.

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:40 PM »
Sigh.

Look, guys - I'm up to my ears right now in real life, trying to get hired, help my students re-write research papers, perform Shakespeare, and study for their finals, finishing my thesis, and working through where I might move.  I was at a job fair in Chicago yesterday, have to go back (I live 4 hours away) on Wednesday, then I'm off to DC on Friday - Tuesday.  Meanwhile, my thesis is due tomorrow, my presentation of it is due Tuesday, I have an essay to write and a portfolio to construct for my interviews Wednesday, and I still haven't written my kids' exam.

I promise I'll be here and be invested, but it won't be for about 1.5 weeks.  If that means I'm out, that's cool.

Apologies.

Yeah, it is that time of year. Completely understandable. I myself has two projects due yesterday. We'll start without and see if we can introduce Yonderboy in later.

As they say, Registering Game Now

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »
Errr... I know it's kinda late, but anyone has any objections if I join?

And just as an aside, didn't it seem to you guys that the party might as well be called the Scooby Gang?  :lol
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ShaggyShaggs

• He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
Man, I jokingly suggested naming the ship for the vehicle in Homeboys in Outer Space and it got seconded and was apparently accepted.  I don't think this game is meant to be entirely serious.  :lol
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »
Errr... I know it's kinda late, but anyone has any objections if I join?

Apologies, as it is too late to join. Character submissions will be open again if a player leaves permanently, or when the game ends.

Man, I jokingly suggested naming the ship for the vehicle in Homeboys in Outer Space and it got seconded and was apparently accepted.  I don't think this game is meant to be entirely serious.  :lol

Even comedy is serious business...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2008, 12:42:13 AM »
S'cool. I gotta remember to be quicker about things.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!