Author Topic: Campaign Length  (Read 1279 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Campaign Length
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:04:06 AM »
   When you hear the word 'campaign', what comes to mind? How long do you think a 'campaign' should last? Is it based on number of levels? Number of sessions? External time limits (college semester, tour of duty, etc.,)? Story arc? Or is a 'campaign' a timeless thing, lasting as long as it lasts?

For me, it's the latter. When I hear 'campaign' I think of a gaming group that lasts as long as it lasts. The roll call of players may change over time but the character world, story lines and plots are long lasting. My longest campaigns in D&d was six years. The longest Gamma World campaign (3rd edition with HEAVY house rules) lasted 3.5 years.

What does it mean for you?

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
Re: Campaign Length
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:29:05 PM »
A campaign is a long lasting game of interlocking story arcs (adventures, chronicles, runs, what have you) that lead the characters to one goal. Just going around and completing adventures without a final goal, is not a campaign, it may be a story, just not a campaign. Solomon Kane is a good example. He is a landless wanderer. He goes on multiple adventures, however he doesn't have a overarching goal. He believes in being pious and puritan to the point that he may be killed for believing such, but that is not a goal it is his personality. Solomon Kane also wants to defeat evil and that is why he wanders, but that is motivation, not a goal.
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers