Author Topic: New weapon/armour enhancement  (Read 1658 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
New weapon/armour enhancement
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »
Augment affinity
This weapon, suit of armour or shield can be fitted with up to three augment crystals (see the Magic Item Compendium) rather than one.

Moderate transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic weapon (weapon) or magic vestment (armour or shield); Price +1 bonus.

How balanced would this be? Granting just one extra slot for +1 seems like too little, but two slots might be too much.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: New weapon/armour enhancement
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »
Well, you still have to pay for each augment crystal separately, plus the cost of the additional +1 for this enhancement.

Other than that, I guess I'd have to look at some of the crystals to see what combinations you could come up with.  I suppose you could get crystals in one weapon to harm several different creature types, so you don't have to switch weapons, but that's more for conviencience than raw power.

Also, you could throw three Energy Assault crystals in one weapon, but I still don't think that's super crazy.  You're looking at paying an extra 6,000 gp for the two other crystals and a minimum of 6,000 more to increase from a +1 to a +2 weapon for this new weapon enhancement.  It seems fine to me.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
Hmmm, Fable, and a potential fable-based campaign, come to mind...

Of course, heroes would need a whole separate class....

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:08 PM »
Hmmm, Fable, and a potential fable-based campaign, come to mind...

Of course, heroes would need a whole separate class....
Plenty of games have "socketing" systems, including some of the Final Fantasies.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]