Author Topic: Tier System For Classes (Repost)  (Read 515081 times)

Tyal-Kelvar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Tier System For Classes (Repost)
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
What I would do is add or subtract from ECL according to Tier. Tier 1 and 2 get +2, and +1, respectively, Tier 3 is normal, Tier 4 is -1 and so on. Doesn't quite work at lower levels, because there is no ECL -2 for the commoner :).

Brilliant idea.  Stuck forever behind by 2 (Or more, if you compare to the party fighter) would certainly weaken them down without invalidating builds.  Still, it then comes down to whether it's enough.  A well played level 16 wizard compared to a level 20 fighter, I'd still say the wizard is vastly more useful, but I guess it becomes more in a generalist way than broken way.  That is assuming I understand you suggestion (wizard 16= ECL 18, fighter 20=ECL 18).  Perhaps a tier 1=+3, tier 2=+1, tier 3=0, tier 4=+1, tier 5=+3, tier 6=still don't play, would work better?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »
What I would do is add or subtract from ECL according to Tier. Tier 1 and 2 get +2, and +1, respectively, Tier 3 is normal, Tier 4 is -1 and so on. Doesn't quite work at lower levels, because there is no ECL -2 for the commoner :).

Brilliant idea.  Stuck forever behind by 2 (Or more, if you compare to the party fighter) would certainly weaken them down without invalidating builds.  Still, it then comes down to whether it's enough.  A well played level 16 wizard compared to a level 20 fighter, I'd still say the wizard is vastly more useful, but I guess it becomes more in a generalist way than broken way.  That is assuming I understand you suggestion (wizard 16= ECL 18, fighter 20=ECL 18).  Perhaps a tier 1=+3, tier 2=+1, tier 3=0, tier 4=+1, tier 5=+3, tier 6=still don't play, would work better?
A well-played wizard 10 could likely (and fairly easily) flatten a fighter 20, though it depends in part on the fighter's gear.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Tyal-Kelvar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »

A well-played wizard 10 could likely (and fairly easily) flatten a fighter 20, though it depends in part on the fighter's gear.

I don't feel the PvP aspect is so much the point as making all party members useful.  Still, if one says a wizard of half the level of the fighter is balanced, then hard to do it with a straight adjustment to ELC.  Perhaps: tier 1 level=2/3 ECL, tier 2 lvl=5/6 ECL, tier 3 lvl=ECL, tier 4 lvl=7/6 ECL, tier 5 lvl=4/3 ECL, tier 6 lvl=2 times ECL.  That might work for balancing, fighters leveling up twice as fast as wizards.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
You should let the commoner get double levels.

HA !!

So now the Commoner would be a Skill Monkey (with all those nifty ranks and stuff).

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »
You should let the commoner get double levels.

HA !!

So now the Commoner would be a Skill Monkey (with all those nifty ranks and stuff).
Gets good synergy with ToB, Constitution, Skills, Wild Cohort, and a feat that lets you summon  a demon equal to 1/2 your level for 1 hour a day.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »

How do we calculate multiclass and hybrid PrCs?
Per level usually works. However, the mundane dipper then gets pretty strong pretty quickly, offensively that is, usually. Also, as soon as you have level differences, the XP gains for lower ECL could well advantage the wizard again, and kill all the penalty.
What if you didn't give extra XP to those behind the level curve due to their Tier? That would keep the Tier 1s from ever completely catching up, unless all the low Tier folks just stopped showing up for weeks.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Daniel678

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »
I seem to remember a commoner build that gained spellcasting through feats. Could a commoner with 2x class levels use that build to get better spellcasting than a wizard? (or at least hit epic spellcasting when the wizard is lvl 11?)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »
I seem to remember a commoner build that gained spellcasting through feats. Could a commoner with 2x class levels use that build to get better spellcasting than a wizard? (or at least hit epic spellcasting when the wizard is lvl 11?)

Off the top of my head

Magical training (0th level)
+heighten spell + versatile spellcaster + earth spell (2nd level)
+eldritch corruption (4th level)
+ sanctum spell (5th level)
+god touched + divine channeler + extra turning +Naenhoon illumian sigil (9th level)

That's a total of nine feats.  You could trim the feat requirements down drastically by focusing on the illumian sigil and spamming extra turning.  That also allows you to take Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu, which is the best commoner feat in existence.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
Less cheesy is the heritage feats.
1st level Fey heritage
2nd Fiendish
3rd Fey feat that gave 3 spells
5 better version
6 grab the fiendish version

Sorry that I don't recall the names

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »
Can't you only have one set of Heritage feats at once?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
I think it was inconsistent on that front.

Luckanan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Wilder?
« Reply #491 on: January 14, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
Appologies if this has already been discussed, but what Tier would the Wilder be in?

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Wilder?
« Reply #492 on: January 14, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »
Appologies if this has already been discussed, but what Tier would the Wilder be in?
I'd say 3 to 4

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #493 on: January 14, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »

Not if you don't mind the fact that your character's female side of the family tree is made of whores.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #494 on: January 14, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »

Not if you don't mind the fact that your character's female side of the family tree is made of whores.

Which isn't too far for most characters  :smirk

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #495 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
Wilder -> T3 at worst

Goes to the planes and gets stopped by every other NPC:

"I knew your grandmother. Oh she was so great at this thing-"
"Yeah... I've heard. Bye"
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

MunchausAscendant

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
I have a couple observations.  (I'm new to this board and to forums in general, so deepest apologies if I commit some kind of breach of etiquette.)

1) Spirit Shaman -- It seems to me that Druid's game-breaking potential comes from wild shaping into absurd things and then buffing itself and its Animal Companion, plus using creative wild shapes to solve other potential problems.  The extra versatility of its spells is just sauce for the goods.  If you take away Wild Shape and Animal Companion, is it possible to break the game on its spells alone?  I'm not sure that it is, therefore Spirit Shaman ought to be T3 (High versatility, low abusability).  (If it is possible to break the game on a druid's spells alone, I'm all ears as to how ;))

2) Warlock -- nobody seems to disagree that it's T4.  Yet, like an Artificer, it can fake any spell for purposes of making magical items with a UMD check.  A UMD check of 24 gives it the ability to fake 9th-level spells, and RAW doesn't provide any limit on how early it can do this (that I can see, bearing in mind that it doesn't get the ability to do this at all until Level 12).  Now, it clearly isn't anything like an Artificer, but the potential for some limited game-breaking abuse is basically right in the open.  So why would it not be T2?

Just looking for insight.  :)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: January 14, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
I have a couple observations.  (I'm new to this board and to forums in general, so deepest apologies if I commit some kind of breach of etiquette.)

1) Spirit Shaman -- It seems to me that Druid's game-breaking potential comes from wild shaping into absurd things and then buffing itself and its Animal Companion, plus using creative wild shapes to solve other potential problems.  The extra versatility of its spells is just sauce for the goods.  If you take away Wild Shape and Animal Companion, is it possible to break the game on its spells alone?  I'm not sure that it is, therefore Spirit Shaman ought to be T3 (High versatility, low abusability).  (If it is possible to break the game on a druid's spells alone, I'm all ears as to how ;))

2) Warlock -- nobody seems to disagree that it's T4.  Yet, like an Artificer, it can fake any spell for purposes of making magical items with a UMD check.  A UMD check of 24 gives it the ability to fake 9th-level spells, and RAW doesn't provide any limit on how early it can do this (that I can see, bearing in mind that it doesn't get the ability to do this at all until Level 12).  Now, it clearly isn't anything like an Artificer, but the potential for some limited game-breaking abuse is basically right in the open.  So why would it not be T2?

About spirit shaman,I always thought   that he is exactly between tier 3 and 2........

Either a High tier 3 or a low tier 2.....
While the Druid's spell list is not as good as the cleric's or the wizard's it still provides many options......

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #498 on: January 14, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »

The Warlock does not gain anywhere near the versatility of the artificer as far as using and abusing magic items goes. First of all, no let's-pump-this-wand-full-of-free-metamagic abuse. Second, the artificer gets a separate pool of XP just for crafting (and can suck XP out of items that are running out of juice). Third, he gets the crafting on the go (stick crafting homunculus into a portable hole).

I'm sure you get the idea. The Artificer is just NUTS. Crafting, while quite useful, isn't really a tie-upper on its own, specially when you still need to actually eat up the feats for it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: January 14, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
Druids get shapechange, that by itself is worth Tier 2.

The druid spell list excels in summoning, battlefield control, buffs, and has a decent amount of healing, utility, and blasting. The whole package is very much worth the tier 2.