Author Topic: Tier System For Classes (Repost)  (Read 514954 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Re: Tier System For Classes (Repost)
« Reply #420 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
The divine mind is kinda like if the fighter and healer had a baby and decided to drop it on its head multiple times.
:lmao
+1 internetz for ninjarabbit.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #421 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
The divine mind is kinda like if the fighter and healer had a baby and decided to drop it on its head multiple times.

:rofl

We now know why its a Psionic class. It's special.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »

:rofl

We now know why its a Psionic class. It's special.
Idiot savant without the savant.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: December 16, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
The fighter can be optimized, the healer can be optimized, most of the tier 5 classes can be optimized to a degree. Even with heavy optimization the divine mind is still a gigantic piece of turd that has no place in even a tier 4 party.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #424 on: December 16, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »
The fighter can be optimized, the healer can be optimized, most of the tier 5 classes can be optimized to a degree. Even with heavy optimization the divine mind is still a gigantic piece of turd that has no place in even a tier 4 party.
I disagree. Divine Minds still get 6th level powers, have the option of a Psicrystal and can do pretty much anything a Fighter can.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: December 16, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
The divine mind is basically a psionic NPC class. Vaguely useful, but not by much.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2010, 12:37:05 AM »
This might be true, but NPC classes run from T6-T4. I don't think its as good as the adept, but it does get access to some nice things like suggestion, metamorphosis, Planeshift, Astral Construct, Fabricate, a couple of Save or Sucks, and a couple of other things.

Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »
nice things like suggestion, metamorphosis, Planeshift, Astral Construct, Fabricate, a couple of Save or Sucks, and a couple of other things.
Exactly. It gets them late but these alone power it over the Fighter any day of the week.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2010, 12:56:39 AM »
nice things like suggestion, metamorphosis, Planeshift, Astral Construct, Fabricate, a couple of Save or Sucks, and a couple of other things.
Exactly. It gets them late but these alone power it over the Fighter any day of the week.
Not really.  The power of Metamorphosis and other effects like it is that it lets a pure caster take the role of a front-liner.  Put in the hands of a Divine Mind, who is already a front-liner and not much of a manifester at all, and you just have an above-par buffing power.  Add to that the fact that a Divine Mind has to burn a feat just to be as effective as a Psion in using his paltry array of powers, and that he lacks enough PP to use them very often at all and you have a shit class.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »
I would like to say that Tier 5 is still pretty shitty, I mean its the tier for the monk and swashbuckler.

jeco

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #430 on: December 25, 2010, 05:08:11 AM »
Q:  My players want to play classes of wildly different Tiers.  What can I do about this?

It terms of balancing the tiers, has any one ever tried implementing a tier based XP bonus/penalty? If so, what type of XP curve have you tried?

It seems like it could be an effective approach. Lower tiers would progress through levels quicker and gain more class features and such. On the other hand, since the higher tiers can do so much anyway, being behind a few levels isn't really going to over penalize them.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #431 on: December 25, 2010, 05:13:21 AM »
People have thought about it before. Check out this for an idea similar to what you're talking about.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #432 on: December 25, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »
Sounds like it would work pretty decently in theory. I imagine a 20th level adept, hexblade, spell thief, ranger, bard, and divine mind are  on  par with or better than a level 10 wizard or cleric.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #433 on: December 25, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
It SOUNDS like it would work in theory. I'm skeptical because the higher the levels get, the more higher tier powers are required. A Fighter 20 isn't going to be much help navigating a Balor's magic-trap-filled fortress.

A friend of mine has theorized that by eliminating spells of 6th level and above you eliminate a lot of problems in D&D. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that creates just as many...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #434 on: December 25, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Every spell level has its broken and game-changing spells, even a wizard with only 1st and 2nd level spells could give most non-magical characters problems.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #435 on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »
Every spell level has its broken and game-changing spells, even a wizard with only 1st and 2nd level spells could give most non-magical characters problems.

This is somewhat true. Basically, no matter what spell levels you remove, you're still going to have to remove or nerf some spells from lower levels, just because there are so many spells published and you only need a few broken spells at each level before the wizard can fill up his slots with them.

On the other hand, with lower level spells, making the game unplayable for non-spellcasters is not yet the baseline, but rather the outliers on the spell spectrum. The number of spells you need to remove to make the game continue running smoothly on the basis of removed spells alone increases with each higher spell level, and above a certain point (you can make arguments for anywhere from fifth to seventh level spells) the number of spells you need to remove or fix becomes so many that you might as well chop spells from there on up out entirely.

With low-level spells you have to go out of your way to make non-spellcasters unplayable. With high-level spells you have to go out of your way not to.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: December 26, 2010, 02:34:36 AM »
Q:  My players want to play classes of wildly different Tiers.  What can I do about this?

It terms of balancing the tiers, has any one ever tried implementing a tier based XP bonus/penalty? If so, what type of XP curve have you tried?

It seems like it could be an effective approach. Lower tiers would progress through levels quicker and gain more class features and such. On the other hand, since the higher tiers can do so much anyway, being behind a few levels isn't really going to over penalize them.

The problem with that is twofold:
  • Multiclassing/PrCing
  • The XP system of 3.5 favors characters who are lower level than the rest of their party.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #437 on: December 26, 2010, 02:38:33 AM »
Just outta curiosity since even this repost is still getting bumped (and your still interested in it, ie posting) why didn't you include the extra base class categorizations I did? It would be nice to have all base classes listed after all...
Is there a link to this?
ardent (3)
Battledancer (5)
deathmaster (2)
divine mind (5)
dragon shaman (5)
dragonfire adept (4 with but slightly lower than warlocks)
eidolon (5)
eidoloncer (variable like a PrC, but technically a ghost only non ECL1 base class. Without casting to advance 6)
jester (high 4)
incarnate (3)
lurk (Definately tier 5. I wish they could actually do something)
montebank (4)
mystic (Tier 2, one of my favorites despite the fact that it is a favored soul minus the umph)
noble (Tier 5=weak sauce bard without the spells)
savant (low 4)
Sha'ir (2, but ... strange)
shadowcaster (4)
shugenja (3)
sohei (4)
soulborn (5)
spirit shaman (tier 2 because it tries to do too much and doesn't quite succeed)
totemist (4?)
Wilder (low 2, wishes it could be a psion)

Like Jaron said most every seperate variant is in the same tier, including:[spoiler]
bardic sage
battle sorcerer
cloistered cleric
divine bard
domain wizard
druidic avenger
paladin of freedom, slaughter, tyranny and the Drag Mag ones
psionic artificer
savage bard
urban adept
thug
totem barbarian [UA kind]
urban ranger[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: December 26, 2010, 01:08:52 PM »
On the other hand, with lower level spells, making the game unplayable for non-spellcasters is not yet the baseline, but rather the outliers on the spell spectrum. The number of spells you need to remove to make the game continue running smoothly on the basis of removed spells alone increases with each higher spell level, and above a certain point (you can make arguments for anywhere from fifth to seventh level spells) the number of spells you need to remove or fix becomes so many that you might as well chop spells from there on up out entirely.

I'm sure this can generate a spirited discussion, but has someone attempted a list of "Most Egregious Spells by Level?"  And if several someones have, is there a favored list?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: December 26, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Treanmonk's excellent guide to being a wizard god and evaluation of thevarious school's is a great place to start.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0