Author Topic: A new tier system  (Read 15937 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: A new tier system
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
Hmm... I think I agree with the factotum side.
I was listening how rogue has more chances to sneak attack.
Then I realized...
Factotum can jolly well glitterdust, and/or grease, blindness deafness. Making you flatfooted and Iujustu focusing you over and over and over... with his twin katanas of doom or whatever.
Yeah, I'd say the factotum has the combat edge. Its a goddam bag of murder tricks.

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
Why factotums are a step up from rogues:

-Factotums have EVERY freaking skill as a class skill, that includes things like Use Psionic Device, all knowledge skills for knowledge devotion (which snyergizes well with the factotum's high int), autohypnosis, and everything else.

-Factotums have a method of spellcasting, spellcasting trumps nonspellcasting in 3rd edition D&D

-Factotums break action economy at level 8

I'll also like to comment that I'm not a huge fan of sneak attack. It's too situational, too many things are immune to it without special tricks, and it generally requires the squishy rogue with his d6 hit dice and light armor to get into harm's way too often.

You've evidenced that you are step or two behind the rest of the argument, but nothing else.

Having UPD is actually definitionally identical to having UMD, and therefore, not a big deal. Having all knowledges is in fact quite useful, and part of why the Factotum is more versatile. Autohypnosis is also pretty okay, but nothing special. It's a cute trick though, and I'd have it as a character.

Factotums without very heavy FoI use/abuse don't break the action economy much. It's one extra standard action per encounter at the very real cost of other stuff.

His spellcasting is worse than Bard casting. No one rails about how fucking great Bard casting is. Being behind in casting makes the casting suck, that was well demonstrated by a leet spell combo that used up about 50% of his spell levels for the day at level 13 in order to fail 9/10ths of the time.

Okay, you don't like SA. Yes, a Rogue who doesn't try to use SA is worse than a Factotum with Iajitsu. Or just a Factotum in general. But so is a Wizard with Int 9. If you ignore the Rogue's primary combat class feature, yeah he's totally not good in combat. If on the other hand you actually spend your resources on using that feature, you win D&D.

@SorO

1) This isn't JaronK's so you have to present a compelling argument that Factotum is worse than a Rogue, not the other way around.

2) I really wish JaronK were capable of reading that paragraph and thinking about it. I do. He has publicly admitted several times since his original Tiers that he had never even considered the idea of throwing flasks, and that he loves loves loves Factotums.

Everyone here assumes that there is no such thing as a Factotum without Iajitsu focus, and FoI. Like, the idea of these things in obscure sources not being used by every Factotum blows your mind. Maybe it's cause you guys dumpster dive all the time and think it's normal, and because you are used to dumpster diving through eight sources the idea of it seems normal.

I don't own OA. I have never owned OA. I don't currently play with anyone who still has any of their 3.0 books. The idea of walking up to a DM and saying, "Every skill as a class skill, so clearly that 3.0 campaign setting we aren't using and don't own that has a class skill that has never been mentioned in a 3.5 publication is a valid skill for me to use with my factotum!" they would look at me like I was retarded.

JaronK is genuinely offended by the idea of Rogues using wands from the Spell Compendium (Also in Complete Adventurer) to bypass SA restrictions, but has his mind blown by the idea that Factotums would not use an obscure skill from a 3.0 campaign setting book. That paragraph applies to himself more than anyone else in the universe.

Midnight, they get 0 greases a day until level 3. For 3-4 they have one Grease, 5-6 they have one Grease and one Glitterdust. The first level they could even use 4 spells a day is level 9. By that enemies just fly and make their saves against Glitterdust. They could always try Evard's Black Tentacles, and that's a good spell, but they are only getting 3rd level spells. They don't get 4 fourth level spells until level 13. You want me to show you how many CR 13 monsters are grappled by EBT for more than one round? Probably not a lot, most of them probably don't get grappled at all.

See how being behind in spells sucks? They can't actually Grease people and then wail away with Iajitsu ever.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »
If you mean between the levels of 3 and 7 then yes. If you means at level 1 or 2 and 8 or up, no. And yes, if you only ever search for traps once that day, you are totally much better than a Rogue. No one cares.

...Disable Device and Search are both Int based at all levels.  Since a Factotum will almost certainly have a higher Int than a comperable Rogue, their skills in those will be better at all levels, not just 3-7.  What are you talking about?  Furthermore, Factotums are better at Dex and Str based skills because of their level 3 ability at all levels, not just through level 7.  The once a day bonus can be handy, but obviously only comes up once per day.  

But yes, Factotums are just plain better than Rogues at finding traps.  Not by much, but they are.  At all levels.

No, I am correctly remembering that casting Charm Person is a mediocre ability if you are already capable of convincing people who are not your enemy to help you, and it really doesn't do anything to help you convince enemies because they make their save, and I don't think anyone actually playing a Factotum, AKA not you in your I have all spells memorized all the time world, would use their one fucking level 1 spell at levels 1-6 on charm person, and after level 6 it doesn't fucking matter because no one who matters will fail a save.

Why do you believe no one will fail a save?  And do you never prepare your spells based on what you plan to do the next day?  If I'm trying to get a wagon into a hostile town unsearched (because we've hidden our Fighter in it or something), I might very well prepare Charm Person so I can charm the head guard (who almost certainly doesn't have an unbeatable will save) and then use diplomacy on him while he's friendly (much lower DC) to make sure I get through (some coin in his hand will likely help too).  Remember too that Charm Person is on humanoids only, who tend to be characters with class levels.  Very often they have poor will saves.

Prepared casters can, in fact, prepare for situations.  That's what they do.

1) Rogues don't care about immunity to SA either, because if you are a rogue, you have a way around that.

Nonsense, and this is someone who's played plenty of Rogues talking.  Let's go into the immunity bypass methods, shall we?

1) Wands of Gravestrike.  Problems:  first of all, they cost a pretty penny for a low level Rogue, and only work on undead.  You'll need a Wand of Razing Strike to deal with golems as well, and oozes and elementals still ignore you.  Second of all, you need to be able to purchase them, and they're not always necessarily available (is there always a magic mart right next to the dungeon you're in?  You can't make them like a Factotum could).  Third, they take up a hand slot... there goes your ability to use TWF, and thus there goes about half your damage.  You know, unless you planned on even more investment to be able to use them like that.  Fourth, they may not even be legal in the rules.  The DMG says using a magic item takes a standard action unless the casting time is longer than that, in which case it's the casting time.  Gravestrike as a standard action is worthless (unless you're a Factotum).  The Rules Compendium restated the second part of that rule without the first, but wasn't particularly clear whether it was supposed to be removing the first part or just didn't write it in (the Rules Compendium left out a lot, after all).  Not to mention few people even have the Rules Compendium.  So the wand might not be able to help you at all even if you do get it.  And finally, it requires a DC 20 UMD check which you can't take 10 on, so even if all those other problems are avoided you still simply fail to be able to use the darn thing in your attacks sometimes until you can get a +19 to UMD.

Result?  TOTALLY not worth it, even if you're able to use it at all, until much higher levels.

2)  Truedeath Crystal.  Like the Gravestrike wand, it only works on undead, so the other immunities (constructs, oozes, elementals) will still hose you.  It certainly doesn't work with potion throwers, and in fact requires a +3 weapon to go on, so if you don't have a Cleric or Sorcerer or Wizard or something who wants to cast Greater Magic Weapon on you every day you're going to need to shell out a heck of a lot of money.  It's 10kgp per crystal (two of them needed if you TWF) in addition to the rather high cost of +3 weapons.  Very expensive, and it only gets rid of some of your immunity problems.

3)  Penetrating Strike.  You can sneak attack everything, but you do half as much damage.  Yay for 2d6 damage at level 10.  That really matters.  That's totally worth putting your d6 HD lightly armored butt in the middle of the fray.

Or were you thinking of some other method of bypassing immunities?  One that doesn't cost a ton or halve your damage or simply not work?  Bueller?  Bueller?

2) So now your Factotums get a free standard action more than the Rogue? Once again, Rogues design themselves to get SA every round, it's not like it's hard or anything.

No, both get free actions.  Factotums get extra standard actions.  But about this sneak attack every round issue, your potion thrower can't flank for sneak attack either.  So he's going to need to either hide and then launch one big attack in the first round and hope that kills everything, or get a ring of blinking (yay gear dependancy) and have a permanent 20% miss chance on his own attacks.  Yeah, awesome.  It's too bad you don't have a super pumped up initiative or the ability to cast grease, eh?

3) They can use Extra dimensional spaces, there are no issues with Gravestike Wands except that they require either 1) dropping them, 2) a fancy wand chamber, 3) not attacking with your off hand and being like an archer rogue who targets touch AC for one round.

You can't have your potions in an extradimensional space if you plan to actually throw them in this combat.  Retrieving from a Handy Haversack is a move action for example.  So while some can be stored there, you've still got a lot of bombs on you.  And Gravestrike... I suspect you've never actually used wands of Gravestrike, as you don't know about the many issues I outlined above.  

4) You can make them. Yourself. You don't even have to buy them.

You still need the materials (which most DMs would say are likely explosive).  You can't just randomly have them.

5) Energy Immunity? Really? That's your trump card? Show me an enemy with Energy Immunity Acid and Fire below CR 11.

All Demons have Fire and Acid resistance 10, for a start.  Babaus are CR 6 for example with both of those resistances, so on what you call "enemies that really matter" that would really hurt (as you'd be level 4 or so at that point, doing  around 3d6 damage).  Dretches at CR 2 would be virtually immune to your attacks, as would CR 2 Quasits, unless your sneak attack is incredible at that level.

As far as full immunity, you know full well there's tons with one or the other, which means half your potions don't work, and that means running out of one kind of potion could easily happen.  After all, it's not like DMs might throw a dungeon full of firey creatures at you, right?  No, DMs only through completely random monsters at you!

Seriously, it's just one more issue with resistant enemies the Rogue now has to deal with.

6) You know what I've never seen in an actual game, a Factotum use Wraithstrike. Because whatever pathetic damage he could do in a round wasn't worth it.

Huh, I have, and the damage was pretty impressive, though more often they'd just use a touch attack spell (Shivering Touching a dragon is always funny).  But as I recall, you hadn't actually seen a Factotum used in an actual game at all, last time we debated this.  You were still claiming that the extra standard actions cost 8 inspiration points and all that.  So you really can't say you've got that much experience.  Me, I've seen even Factotums built intentionally around non combat do decent damage when they needed to.

Anyway, the point is this.  I've played plenty of Rogues, Factotums, and Beguilers at this point (mostly because I love skillmonkeys, so I play those most often).  The Factotum is quite simply the replacement for the Rogue, just like the Warblade is for the Fighter or the Crusader for the Knight and Paladin.  And yes, it just works better.  All the annoying little problems with Rogues (the inability to deal with Arcane Lock, the need for magical tools without the ability to create them, the sneak attack immunities, etc) are very nicely solved.  Frankly, there's just no way someone who's played both Rogues and Factotums could claim the first is stronger than the second, unless they're completely incompetent with the Factotum.

And yes Kaelik, I did consider throwing flasks... long enough to realize how badly it works.  So I didn't count it much, because it simply fails to work.  I also didn't count the fact that Druids can dedicate themselves entirely to being healbots. 

JaronK

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »
JaronK, I have absolutely no idea why you still argue with Kaelik, or Ubernoob/Lurker.  You will never convince them.  Of anything. 

Ever.

(ps: factotums are better than rogues - imo they are high T3 (2 books available in this system means OA and 1 other), rogues are very low T3 (probably using MIC and Champions of Ruin))

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
  I find the flask throwing thing to be pretty lame, too, now that I think about it. I'm amazed that it comes up as much as it does. People complain about font of inspiration is odd too, the factotum came out at the "end" of 3.5 and so only has so many factotum specific feats. Well wait just 1. So of course people are going to take it. I wouldn't think they take it exclusively but enough that they have enough point to do what's needed. I'd imagine knowledge devotion would be a no-brainer for the combat factotum too.
Still I don't think we should just try our best to ignore the fact that Font of inspiration exists. Just like I'm not going to argue that no rogue has wands of "screw undead" but I do think that thats a permanent cost that they'll be using.
Also... I find that one can get a whole lot more damage from Iujustu earlier because its a skill check. I don't know how soon I'm doing 9d6 damage everytime the factotum unsheathes katana but if we wanted it could be pretty quick. Skill checks are like that.

Lastly in response to the whole "behind in spells thing"...

See how being behind in spells sucks? They can't actually Grease people and then wail away with Iajitsu ever.  
Now... (wow, I'm actually glad to be able to talk to you, finally.) Okay Why?
Is this two separate statments? It would seem you're saying that they can never do this because they are behind in spells.
Okay so once perday starting at 3rd they can Iujustu something and "wail" away.
 Maybe a bit more till a higher level where grease stops working, then its 2 times perday use whatever the best spell is to make people flat footed? I don't want to go through the entire list of spells right this second that I could use, so grease and glitterdust... and fuck dude weilds two+ katanas which I'd think is pretty silly except I just watched the wolverine origins movie and that shit deadpool was doing is fresh in my head so it works. .
and if we just want to get silly abou it...
...Kinda like the haversack thing you suggest (or jaronk mentions, not sure who brought that up) pulling katana's out over and over again like looney toons or something.

I do want to add this to Kaelik. I agree with your premise. Sneak attack should be more available (oppurtunity wise) than Iujusu focus. However, since these abilities are attatched to classes then I find the factotum to be better because of its spell like abilities. Which while slow can be pretty hardcore if one can figure out what's optimal to take.  

Edit: Yes I'm pretty sure you can fucking win whole encounters glitterdusting people and Ijf'ing them while they're blinded. ... though I looked at grease and no you can't do that. Something else would be needed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:58:11 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »
You still need the materials (which most DMs would say are likely explosive).  You can't just randomly have them.

1) who cares if the materials are explosive?

You're DM perhaps?

2) You don't randomly have them. You make them. That's what make means.

So your rogue is just going to forage around and find the right chemicals and alchemical items? By the way which skill are you exactly using to create these?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
Craft (Alchemy). It explicitly says you can make those things.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:31 AM »

You mean the skill that only spellcasters can take?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »
Oh. ..Yeah. Nevermind.

Chaos josh

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2009, 04:35:05 AM »

5) Energy Immunity? Really? That's your trump card? Show me an enemy with Energy Immunity Acid and Fire below CR 11.
Did you forget templates? A Half Black Dragon Small Fire Elemental is CR 3.

Pretty much any combination of the Fire subtype and an Acid Immune Half dragon would work (and the above is an elemental to boot.) Also working would be a Half Red Dragon (or half Fire Elemental) monster whose base hase Acid immunity. Half-Fiend would also work with any elemental or ooze (the sentry ooze template is probably neccessary to give oozes intellegence) at lower levels, negating any sneak attack damage until about 7th level (and that's all of 1-2 until 9th, assuming penetrating strike and no multiclassing) with its acid and Fire resist of 10. Undead, Constructs, and Plants work as well, but that's what wands are for...

But then again, if you face these kind of enemies, you might have to deal more with the DM than the monsters.

EDIT: Forgot base damage. Lower levels necessary rogue levels by 2.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:38:50 PM by Chaos josh »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »
A belt of many pockets takes a free action to pick your item and a move action to extract the item - which in the case of a weapon, and with quickdraw..... well, I'm not  really arguing either side, here.
There is also that thingy, weapon crystal I think, but it might have been some bracers from MIC, that lets you draw a weapon as a free action, but I forgot the price.

Now arguably, if I were a factotum I'd think hard about grease, because Alter Self is just so damn sweet sometimes.

Adding up the numbers, Knowledge Devotion can probably keep up with the first D6 SA very quickly, and it works on everything.

Then again, in an undead or construct heavy campaign, a Rogue could take the Razing Strike feat, and deal double sneak-attack damage to either, as long as he still has a wand, too.

In the end what we have here is a mexican stand-off, and I guess I would say both are about even if we assume everything, with each having their advantages and disadvantages. In play, I guess both can be used to great effect.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »

You mean the skill that only spellcasters can take?
Magical training gets around that though. So do gnomes. Just saying.

Handy Links

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »
So yeah...
The rogue is going to spend one of his very few feats on being able to create potions?

Or being a gnome?!?

Seriously, if that is the only way the Rogue can create his own potions its not even worth considering...

And also, lets say the Rogue can create a couple of potions per day, how long amount of downtime would the rogue actually need to create the potions he spends on one day? If that is long, thats another problem with that build in addition to all the other things...

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Does anyone have high objections for the two book system?

I decided to use it after any thread about fighters or wizards where the builds went into a dozen splatbooks,  and an old dm talked about a campaign where he had each of  us choose a book.

There was also the issue of highly optimized characters versus lowly optimized ones. Keeping people to the same amount of sources keeps this on a more even field.

And then there is the assumptions of what is and isn't allowed as books, I wanted this system to be the answer to that.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
So yeah...
The rogue is going to spend one of his very few feats on being able to create potions?

Or being a gnome?!?
Hey, what's wrong with being a gnome? Gnomes are only second in awesomeness to kobolds. Their rivalry for Real Ultimate Power is why the two races hate each other so much.
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »
For the record, to make a vial of alchemist's fire (2000cp) in one day without time-reducing feats requires a Craft(Alchemy) check of about 45.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
Gnomes still can't overcome that spellcasters only restriction, though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
So yeah...

Or being a gnome?!?

Seriously, if that is the only way the Rogue can create his own potions its not even worth considering...

And also, lets say the Rogue can create a couple of potions per day, how long amount of downtime would the rogue actually need to create the potions he spends on one day? If that is long, thats another problem with that build in addition to all the other things...
If I could, with a single feat, increase my damage output that much, I'd definitely consider taking it.

The Mad Linguist: The SLAs don't count?

Handy Links

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
1) This isn't JaronK's so you have to present a compelling argument that Factotum is worse than a Rogue, not the other way around.
I'm not in on that one, I was just pointing out all these tier threads are poping up because everyone wants their favorite tier to be higher than what it is and classes they have never played to be ranked lower than they should be. Beguilers, Factotums, Erudites, it makes no difference.

Besides, Factotums have the unbuyable thing working for them. SA can be picked up just by spending gold.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
Does anyone have high objections for the two book system?

I decided to use it after any thread about fighters or wizards where the builds went into a dozen splatbooks,  and an old dm talked about a campaign where he had each of  us choose a book.

There was also the issue of highly optimized characters versus lowly optimized ones. Keeping people to the same amount of sources keeps this on a more even field.

And then there is the assumptions of what is and isn't allowed as books, I wanted this system to be the answer to that.

I like the core+book its in+two-book idea personally, at least more than JaronK's nebulous "It has whatever books I think it has" style, where the Healer doesn't have the BoED for consecrated spells, but the factotum has Oriental Adventures, Races of Stone, and web enhancements.