Author Topic: Min/Max my resume'  (Read 1907 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Min/Max my resume'
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
well....

not really alot to m/m.

i would pull the affiliations.

i would gut most of it really.

format is fine, its just sorta fighter ish.... the parts in the right places it just dosnt do much...

never had a job?

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »
If you have prior work experience, you should list it.

Also, in terms of min/maxing, it looks like you have a pretty broad scope of jobs you're looking for.  Try saving several copies of your resume, each focusing on something different.  For example, I write software, but when I was job hunting, I had two resumes: one for programming-related jobs, and one for all of the others.  My first resume focused on programming experience, where as the second exculded all of that information.

Basically, you want this thing as concise as you can get it.  Get it to fit on one page.  Use bold font for headers to get attention and elaborate with one or two sentances.  If you don't jump off the page within ten seconds, your resume will get thrown back in the stack.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
[spoiler]Here's my take on it.[/spoiler]

Jacobb Byers

1251b Armistead rd  San Francisco, CA
E-MAIL: fuzzknot@gmail.com (get a work related e-mail adress, fuzznot, while slightly funny, is not very professional)

EDUCATIONREFERENCES

XXXXXXXXX
Galileo Academy
Computer Science Teacher
(XXX) XXX XXXX ext XXXX

XXXXXX
Galileo
Music Teacher
(XXX) XXX XXXX ext XXXX

XXXXXXXX
Music Teacher
XXX XXXX

ACTIVITIES & AFFILIATIONS

9\2007 - 6\2008    G-House TV    Galileo Academy of Science and Technology
Stayed after school to edit video for bi-weekly school-wide TV broadcast. Contributed far more than the minimum number of hours required per month to ensure that the broadcast went off smoothly.

10\2005 - 5\2008    Afterschool Guitar Club    Galileo Academy of Science and Technology
Consistently stayed late after a 3 hour practice session to help put away the equipment. Sometimes assisted in the repair and ordering of new equipment, as well ass setup and breakdown of equipment for practices and concert performances.

SKILLS

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:23:54 PM »
I would take the references out and replace with "References available upon request".

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »
Thanks all, help really appreciated.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
Bwahaha!  I now know power word: TrueName!

My major piece of advice is to put it all on a single side of a single sheet of paper.  Otherwise it looks sloppy, and probably is unfocused.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »
This part isn't so much about the resume, but more for after you hand that in (all good advice given, thus far).   Remember: they will not call you, you should call them.  Show up at the office or wherever you're applying, call them, be eager, do not be afraid if you feel a little bit like you're being a pest.  After I applied somewhere, the manager wanted to give me a job, the the position was cut due to lack of hours, but because I repeatedly came back to talk to her, she passed my application along to the District manager and now I have a full-time job.
So don't worry about feeling silly if you show up or call a lot, sometimes it can be to your advantage.  They get a lot of applications and resumes, and they remember you if they have a face and a voice to go with yours.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
I am by no means good at this but I caught one slight typo that could be hilarious if you are just going to copy paste :P
10\2005 - 5\2008    Afterschool Guitar Club    Galileo Academy of Science and Technology
Consistently stayed late after a 3 hour practice session to help put away the equipment. Sometimes assisted in the repair and ordering of new equipment, as well ass setup and breakdown of equipment for practices and concert performances.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:55 PM »
I am by no means good at this but I caught one slight typo that could be hilarious if you are just going to copy paste :P
10\2005 - 5\2008    Afterschool Guitar Club    Galileo Academy of Science and Technology

Depends on the target career :P
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."