Author Topic: E6 Cleric  (Read 2222 times)

Questor

• Monkey bussiness
E6 Cleric
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Hi,

first of all I'm not a native english speaker, so sry if my grammar is bad.

In our next campaign we are going to use the E6 variant and I'm going to play a cleric. I'm undecided if I should go melee or take the caster-role. A melee cleric could take advantage of the Law and Knowledge Devotion feats but the lack of Divine Power hurts. The other option is a caster cleric using Divine Metamagic.

Which way will be the best in your opinion?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: E6 Cleric
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
Yeah, no Divine Power puts you 2 points behind on BAB.  Although, unless you have your feats planned out for a melee build, you could mix DMM and a melee build.  I'm not sure how many spells 3rd level and lower are good for persisting, but Quicken Spell is also quite nice for DMM.

What sorces do you have available?  It looks like Complete Divine and Champion are open from your mention of DMM and the various domain devotion feats.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Questor

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
Oh, sry. Sourcebooks are PHB1+2, DMG, Completes, Races, BoED and Forgotten Realms

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
Well, Divine Favor and Bless get you a +2 to your attacks, and I'm sure there are other spells out there that increase that, so don't write of a melee cleric just yet :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
Well the best fighter in E6 is really a full BAB type. They get the second (and, in some cases, third) attack that makes them cool. If you're going for a melee cleric, I'd definitely check out divine favor and Knowledge Devotion. Cloistered Cleric sounds like the way to go on this one.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Unfortunately, the Cloistered Cleric gets a poor BAB, which hurts you yet another point again.  This is a good choice when it can be mitigated by Divine Power, but now you're actually paying for that domain and those skill points.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't know that I'd do it for an E6 melee cleric.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
I guess it depends on how high you can get those Knowledge checks :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
Well, either way, lesser aasimar is a great race for you.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
DH_'s  Miracle at level 6 set-up works, but your DM might say no. So don't go Miracle.
I'm not sure if it's linked around here.

PHB2 Class Rebuilding allows weird PrC possiblities; Nox_Noctis has a thread on the Handbooks board one over.

Apostle of Peace + Taint caster, produces a loop. You'd have to talk your DM into it.
Anybody remember the details??

Questor

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 05:33:48 AM »
First of all thank you for your help. Lesser Asimar seem to be a nice idea.

@awaken DM golem: I just looking for a way to get my cleric powerfull, i dont want to break the game. If I'd try this my DM is going to kill us both (me and my character ;) )

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 03:25:34 AM »
You're playing an E6 game.
BoED is on your allowed list.
You're taking the Saint Template.

You're basically trading away 2 ability points for DR, Fire resistance, SLAs, and more goodness.

Emphasis on the goodness. Doesn't work for an evil game.