Author Topic: Camp Nerdly  (Read 4417 times)

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
Camp Nerdly
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
Have any of you heard of or gone to Camp Nerdly before? I found out about it last summer and was thinking of going this year but I can't make it. Funds are tight for the drive down and I really want to make GenCon and Con on the Cob (a local con in October).

Victor
Red Box Geek - The scribblings of a roleplay gaming geek.

Victor J. Wyatt's Twitter

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Camp Nerdly
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »
It's just on the other side of DC for me (I live in Baltimore), so I'm seriously considering going.  I'll know for sure a little later this week.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »
I've seen the "One cool thing I saw at Camp Nerdly" video from last year and it looked like a lot of fun, but it is a long drive from Ohio. If they plan on having it next year I'll have to put it in my must-do list.

Victor

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »
Well, now I know for sure.  I'm going.  Paid the entrance fee last night and started planning what I'm going to do when I get there.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun.  I NEVER do mini-cons, and this one seems particularly cool.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
I don't think any of the three of us will be thre, but the 5th gameologist, Robert Bohl, has said that he is likely to go.

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »
Camp Nerdly 3 was a really, really good time.  I met some really awesome people, played some great games, and communed with a chipmunk.  Great stuff all around.

The new "Cool thing at Camp Nerdly" is up; I'm not in it because my sleep-deprived brain completely failed me on Sunday when Jason Morningstar was coming around with the camera.  Nevertheless, I'm sure it's awesome and I'll watch it when I get home tonight.   :p  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUnRSZO0Xk

Gaming highlights:

Bill White ran his Spirit of the Century con-game called "Rex Rich and the Warlord of Mars".  It played a little more Nar then I'm used to playing/running SotC, which I can't say was a surprise, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Ryan Macklin ran Mythender for a few of us, and it was a chest-thumping, testosterone dripping blast!  I got to land the killing blow on the Midgard Serpent, using the Last Emperor of Rome (on a chain).  Definitely a first for me, and it made my Pocket Awesome Meter (TM) overheat and explode.

Chad Underkoffler ran a Space Opera hack of PDQ#, and it was the highlight of the con for me.  I plan to run S7S this weekend, and having the game designer run a game for you is invaluable for learning how the game is meant to be played.  If I can bring even a fraction of the awesome to the table that we did on Saturday night I will have a happy bunch of players come Friday.

And Robert Bohl?  Never play Jungle Speed against him for money.  He's a goddamned shark.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:25:25 PM by Shoggoth »

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
That is so awesome you went Shoggoth!  You were like the BG ambassador there!  I definitely hope to make it some year.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

burner2501

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Red Box Geek
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
After seeing that "One cool thing..." video on YouTube I have to make sure to put Camp Nerdly on my schedule next time it comes around. It looked like a blast.

Victor

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:43:35 PM »
I played Jungle Speed with you, man? Who were you? You didn't id yourself!

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
I played Jungle Speed with you, man? Who were you? You didn't id yourself!

I was sitting directly to your right, next to Buddha.  You accused ME of being a shark.  Totally not though.

You're right, I totally should have called myself out.  It was a lot of new people though, and I'm not...good...at that open socialization thing.