Author Topic: fishing for good grafts  (Read 2946 times)

Astaroth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
fishing for good grafts
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
I'm looking at some grafts to add for my character. He's on a 36 pts buy, half shadow dragon human with a +2 LA. Optimized to deal 120 pts. of damage on full attacks, around 40 per single strike. Swordsage 1/Hexblade 7/ Paladin of Tyranny 3/ Swordsage 5.

Was considering to add bat wings and venomous sting. Weapons deal wisdom damage and give negative levels. Any ideas of better grafts? Be advised, wotc material only

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: fishing for good grafts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
I'm looking at some grafts to add for my character. He's on a 36 pts buy, half shadow dragon human with a +2 LA. Optimized to deal 120 pts. of damage on full attacks, around 40 per single strike. Swordsage 1/Hexblade 7/ Paladin of Tyranny 3/ Swordsage 5.

Was considering to add bat wings and venomous sting. Weapons deal wisdom damage and give negative levels. Any ideas of better grafts? Be advised, wotc material only
What rules do you use for grafts?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Fiend folio:
Strong leg: +2 inherent con for 4k
Fast leg: +10 typeless bonus to speed

There's also one that grants tremorsense.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
Fiend folio:

Don't fiendish crafts have some pretty bad penalties?

Edit: The Silthilar Muscles/Bones/Tendons increase Strength/Constitution/Dexterity instead of just providing a bonus but they are outrageously expensive so its debatable how good they are.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:09:03 AM by Bastian »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:47:21 AM »
Fiend folio fiendish grafts have horrible penalties... for nonevil folks.  Since you're a presumably LE paladin of tyranny, load on up, they're completely penalty free.

There's also an arm that gives a +2 inherent strength for far less than it's worth.
Planetouched Handbook

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:06:24 AM »
Fiend folio fiendish grafts have horrible penalties... for nonevil folks.  Since you're a presumably LE paladin of tyranny, load on up, they're completely penalty free.

There's also an arm that gives a +2 inherent strength for far less than it's worth.
Ah, I missed that part. I probably shouldn't have skipped the build. :D

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
Any number of undead arm grafts grant +4 inherent strength bonuses and stuff extra for 40 grand. There's also 16k for 4 inherent strength and -2 dex.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:34:46 PM »
I'm fond of the Glaring Eye draconic graft from RotD.  30' blindsense for only 10,000 is a pretty good deal, if you ask me.  And MoE has some decent grafts.  Earth Glide is always nice.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »
Fiend folio:

Edit: The Silthilar Muscles/Bones/Tendons increase Strength/Constitution/Dexterity instead of just providing a bonus but they are outrageously expensive so its debatable how good they are.

Not to mention that IIRC, Silthilars (Silthilarii? Silthilares?) are CG fey creatures that probably wouldn't see to kind upon LE characters.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
Fiend folio:

Not to mention that IIRC, Silthilars (Silthilarii? Silthilares?) are CG fey creatures that probably wouldn't see to kind upon LE characters.
Which is exactly why LE characters would be willing to kidnap, imprison, and vivisect them for spare parts.
Planetouched Handbook

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:31:20 AM »
Fiend folio:

Which is exactly why LE characters would be willing to kidnap, imprison, and vivisect them for spare parts.

Hahaha, good point :D
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Cap Smash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Magic Missile. I counter it.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:08:19 PM »
How does one vivisect a swarm? or for that matter capture it without getting their flesh stripped from their bones?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
How does one vivisect a swarm? or for that matter capture it without getting their flesh stripped from their bones?
Very, very, very tiny scalpels.
Planetouched Handbook

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
And a lot of patience.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »

If you don't work under WBL, or you can craft them yourself with stupidly-stupid price reductions, they're awesome. Pluses to all the Physical stats, initiative, fast healing, are all worth it if you're paying about 1/4th the price they charge.

As to which grafts to take: the fiendish wings grafts (I'm partial to feathered, but that's an aesthetic thing) are always good if you can't already fly. Some of the arm/leg grafts can get you cheap inherent bonuses and/or natural attacks. I would avoid the draconic grafts, since they have actual penalties and most of them, well, suck.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]