Author Topic: The Duskblade's Handbook  (Read 361034 times)

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Re: The Duskblade's Handbook
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »
However the original poster went the whirlwind way, which is not only iffy on wether it works with Arcane Channeling or not, but also requires you to have 13 dex, making your Duskblade incredibly MAD(17 cha, 14 int, 13 dex, definately needs strength, con is also nice to have)

I'm not sure 14 Int is going to cover everything you need.  Sublime Chord has hefty skill requirements, and you're also taking Knowledge Devotion--which isn't much use if you don't have knowledges.

BenTheJester

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
You need 13 Knowledge(arcana)+13 listen+10 perform+6 profession+6 spellcraft = 48 skill points.

Since all skills cost 1 point(thanks to Able Learner), you get:
[6(bard) + 1(human) + 2(int)]*4 + [2(Dusk) + 1(human) + 2(int)]*13(levels) = 101 points, more than enough.

Without Able Learner, you would spend 4 points on each skills as a bard, (4*5=20), then need to spend 9 on Knowledge, 18 on listen(CC), 12 on perform(CC) and 4 on profession(CC) and 2 spellcraft as a Duskblade, requiring in total: 65 points, also doable.

So you do not NEED to have more than 14 int, but your reply is pointless anyway because you're just proving my point that going the whirlwind way is not good.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »
I've only read through the first two pages of the thread, so i don't know if its already been mentioned, but you spelt Ring of Wizardry wrong in your items post. Thats like... my biggest pet peeve for spelling.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2009, 06:04:16 AM »
I've only read through the first two pages of the thread, so i don't know if its already been mentioned, but you spelt Ring of Wizardry wrong in your items post. Thats like... my biggest pet peeve for spelling.

^-^
Fixed. Also fixed other mistakes in the same post like "butterfield" <- lolwut
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:52 PM »
Here's a build I'm starting to like:

duskblade13/warmind5/cerebremancer2 or duskblade5/warmind5/duskblade8/cerebermancer2

There's some brutal synergy between arcane channeling and sweeping strike and it only gets more brutal with expansion. The only question is do you go for sweeping strike or full attack arcane channeling first?

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
My attachments are dead -_-
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
Would Healing Sting (Druid 2, Spell Compendium) be a good spell to channel? Unlike Vampiric Touch, you'd actually heal hp (1d12+10 per hit). Is it an OK candidate for learning via Wyrm Wizard/Recaster? Any other ways to get it (other than dip druid)?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
Can a Drakehelm or whatever it's called get you non-arcane spells?

Other than that, I think Wyrm Wizard and Recaster are your only options.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
Would Healing Sting (Druid 2, Spell Compendium) be a good spell to channel? Unlike Vampiric Touch, you'd actually heal hp (1d12+10 per hit). Is it an OK candidate for learning via Wyrm Wizard/Recaster? Any other ways to get it (other than dip druid)?

Since it's a necromancy spell I think you can get it from the fiendblooded PrC.

BlackRequiem

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »
Hi, I've been working on a Duskblade build and wanted a critique.

Duskblade 13\Elemental Savant 1\Sanctified One of Kord 1\Swordsage 1\Jade Pheonix Mage 4.

Is there any way to improve on this? The main idea was lots of Divine-typed converted Fire spells and Maneuvers..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:39:15 AM by BlackRequiem »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
I've been toying around with duskblade/wizard/ultimatemagus builds and here's one I like

duskblade13/wizard1/abjurantchampion2/UM4

You basically trade you 5th level duskblade spells for 4th level wizard spells. You can also add a 1st and 2nd level wizard spell to your duskblade spells known, I'd recommend shield and wraithstrike.

You can also take a few wizard variants. I like the conjurer's abrupt jaunt and trading scribe scroll for a fighter feat.  Plus there's also the fact that you can now full channel spells like shriveling touch and contagion

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
No druidic duskblades were proposed so far! To remedy that:

Duskblade 13 / Druid 3 / Arcane Hierophant 4
Spontaneous Rejuvenation variant (replaces spontaneous SNA)
18 BAB, 17th lvl duskblade casting, 7th lvl druid casting (11 CL with practiced spellcaster)
wild shape 3x day (small/medium animal max 7 HD (4xday tiny-large 11 HD with Wild Shape Amulet from MoF); can take Natural Spell on lvl 18)
Companion Familiar: 7th lvl ac bonuses (10 with natural bond), 17th lvl familiar bonuses (arguably even without obtain familiar) (You add your arcane hierophant class level to your arcane spellcasting class level, and determine the Intelligence bonus and special abilities of your animal companion accordingly)
Channel Animal 2/day

Duskblade 13, Druid Avenger 1, Rage Mage
replaces barbarian in a build mentioned before. loses lion totem's pounce, gains druid 1 abilities
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:37:19 PM by cru »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2009, 06:05:04 PM »
No druidic duskblades were proposed so far! To remedy that:

Duskblade 13 / Druid 3 / Arcane Hierophant 4
Spontaneous Rejuvenation variant (replaces spontaneous SNA)
18 BAB, 17th lvl duskblade casting, 7th lvl druid casting (11 CL with practiced spellcaster)
wild shape 3x day (small/medium animal max 7 HD; can take Natural Spell on lvl 18)
Companion Familiar: 7th lvl ac bonuses (10 with natural bond), 17th lvl familiar bonuses (arguably even without obtain familiar) (You add your arcane hierophant class level to your arcane spellcasting class level, and determine the Intelligence bonus and special abilities of your animal companion accordingly)
Channel Animal 2/day

Duskblade 13, Druid Avenger 1, Rage Mage
replaces barbarian in a build mentioned before. loses lion totem's pounce, gains druid 1 abilities
Add Divine Minion for 11 more levels of Wild Shape ;)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

BenTheJester

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
why hasn't anyone mentionned the Mage of the Aracane Order yet?

It costs 3 feats(Arcane Preparation, Cooperative Spell, any other metamagic feat) but let's you "have" evey sor/wiz spells on your spell list.

Something like Duskblade 16/MotAO 4 would work. (Or DB 15/abj champion 1/MotAO 4)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
why hasn't anyone mentionned the Mage of the Aracane Order yet?

It costs 3 feats(Arcane Preparation, Cooperative Spell, any other metamagic feat) but let's you "have" evey sor/wiz spells on your spell list.

Something like Duskblade 16/MotAO 4 would work. (Or DB 15/abj champion 1/MotAO 4)

Because spellpool is pretty much worthless to a duskblade in combat. And since the duskblade only gets up to 5th level spells MotOA benefits him much less than say a warmage or a sorcerer. You're better off being a fiendblooded or sandshaper.

edventure

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2009, 01:12:33 PM »
A question for the smart masses.

I  would like to go Duskblade13/Cleric 3/ MT 4.  Unfortunately he's already at 9th level and his WIS sucks.  Is there such a thing as an INT based divine caster that I can replace cleric with?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Archivist works if you have HoH access.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »

I  would like to go Duskblade13/Cleric 3/ MT 4.  Unfortunately he's already at 9th level and his WIS sucks.  Is there such a thing as an INT based divine caster that I can replace cleric with?
Archivist, from Heroes of Horror. Max level of spells and DC is based on Int. Unfortunately, bonus spells are based on Wis.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »

If your charisma is non sucky, consider Duskblade13/Divine Crusader2/MT5.  You get a single seventh level divine spell and an additional level of duskblade spellcasting, which is probably better than a few fourth level cleric spells.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

edventure

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
His Chr is worse than his Wis.  It's a 10 vs. his 12 Wis.

I like Archivist.  It dovetails nicely with the Knowledge Devotion he already has.  He tends to spend his downtime in libraries studying.  So thematically it fits him well.

If I went 13/3/4 he'd get his 16BAB by 20th and only lose 3 Duskblade spells.  The last 3 I chose were Disintegrate, Chain Lightning, and Bigby's, so it's not a terrible loss.  He'll still get one 5th lvl spell, I chose Waves of Fatigue.  There's nothing to prevent him from taking more MT levels after epic anyway.

Thanks for the help!