Author Topic: Swordsage (adaptations)  (Read 1966 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Swordsage (adaptations)
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
I always hear about the unarmed variant on the forums but never the spellcasting alternative. Why is that?
Quick Reference
[spoiler]Unarmed
Lose light armor proficiency in exchange for a monk's unarmed strike advancement.
No chain shirt for a 2d6 weapon you cannot lose.

Spellcasting
Lose light armor proficiency and reduce your HD to a d6 and in exchange to learn arcane spells instead of maneuvers.
Even less spells known and yet even more casting per day than a sorcerer, but more importantly, IL = CL.
[/spoiler]

Now take for example a Warblade 6 / Swordsage 2 build. The IL of the 2nd level of the Swordsage is 5, meaning 3rd level spell access. Without the annoying 5 levels in glasscannon for your gish. Your trading in a wider spell selection for faster progression level wise. Very useful for gishes.

Taking it up a notch, Marital PrCs advance ALL ILs you have meaning every ToB PrC is now a theurge of it's own style.
Take for example a Cleric 3 / Crusader 1 / Swordsage 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 / Contemplative 1 / Fist of Razial 3 / Swordsage +2.
You'll net 8th level divine spells, 7th level maneuvers, and nine 3rd level+ arcane spells, one of which is 9th level and you can cast it every encounter.
Add runestaffs and abuse DMM while your at it.

Discuss.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
Re: Swordsage (adaptations)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Now take for example a Warblade 6 / Swordsage 2 build. The IL of the 2nd level of the Swordsage is 5, meaning 3rd level spell access. Without the annoying 5 levels in glasscannon for your gish. Your trading in a wider spell selection for faster progression level wise. Very useful for gishes.

Discuss.

Thats exactly the problem right there. Applying the IL mechanic to spell aquisition is so powerful that its, dare I say, TO? Beatiful find, but I can't imagine the types of game that would use it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »
It might not be so bad in a system that didn't have dual-class progression PrCs.  It's still quite potent getting all of those spells per encounter, not being limited in what level they are (you simply have "spells known" as opposed to "spells known per spell level"), and when you swap them, they can be a higher level.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Ferret

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
bwha, so how exactly would that work in conjunction with Adaptive Style?

Change out your "known" spells in-combat?  :blink:

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
nope you don't change spells/maneuvers known except at certain levels. You can change what you have prepared and recharge them all though.

Am i the only one who sees the inevitable 9th lvl spell, White Raven Tactics, 9th level spell, run away to Adaptive style them back and repeat loop happening.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Ferret

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Right right. Checked my books out when I went home for lunch and realized I was misremembering the swordsage.

And yeah, you're not the only one seeing that happen, not at all. Celerity&Timestop cheese with 4th - 8th level spells, white raven tactics once Timestop is out, retreat and adaptive style, mop up the leftovers.

Ouch.