Author Topic: More Things That Make You LOL  (Read 366172 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: More Things That Make You LOL
« Reply #680 on: November 25, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
You know, the more I think of it the more justified I find Twilight.

Vampires in modern culture are about unrestrained sexuality.  Twilight is basically a retelling of the same stories that have been told by Hollywood and literature for some time now, except in a way that teenaged girls (and women who never grew up) can understand.

I don't particularly care for the movies and books though.  But I at least see where they're coming from.

You do realize that at least on some levels Twilight is Mormon propaganda right?

You realize that at some level, everything that has ever been written by anyone is propaganda for whatever school of thought they espouse, right?
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #681 on: November 25, 2009, 10:13:19 AM »
So that got me thinking: okay, so vampire female fans want to be fucked in the neck?
:lmao

It all makes sense now.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #682 on: November 25, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

Vampires in modern culture are about unrestrained sexuality.  Twilight is basically a retelling of the same stories that have been told by Hollywood and literature for some time now, except in a way that teenaged girls (and women who never grew up) can understand.

I don't particularly care for the movies and books though.  But I at least see where they're coming from.

You do realize that at least on some levels Twilight is Mormon propaganda right?

You realize that at some level, everything that has ever been written by anyone is propaganda for whatever school of thought they espouse, right?
I had found one before the first movie came out that actually drew a perfect parallel. Nothing was out of line, or a remote stretch. I'll have to see if I can locate it again.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #683 on: November 25, 2009, 12:34:54 PM »
I once asked an online friend of mine what was it about vampires that appealed to women so much.

She basically replied that vampires are a no-frills masculine figure that could take whatever it wanted by force without actually hurting, and that the whole act of blood-sucking was an allusion to penetration - essentially, causing pain and pleasure at the same time on a tender spot.
So getting bit in the neck doesn't hurt?
I hope your friend will forgive me for not wanting to try that out.

Personally, I like this interpretation best.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

She drew a parallel about the strength of vampires being subtle enough that they could just pin you down without actually straining themselves before they got whatever they wanted out of you. Besides, according to plenty of vampire myth, the "kiss" is actually as pleasant as it's supposed to be painful, so... *shrug*

And yeah, that used to be my interpretation too, but them wanting to be fucked in the neck makes more sense to me. After the boob-job and the armpit-job, the neck-job!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #684 on: November 25, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
vampire stories have a long history of appealing to the lesser gender.

dracula was a love story. featuring a vampire.

twilight is the high fructose corn syrup of vampire stories.

the only saving grace being the Kevin Smith angle.

Hey, Dracula was awesome! We're talking about the book, right?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #685 on: November 25, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »
i didnt say anything bad about drac, just that it set the pace for most future vamp stories to appeal primarily to chicks. yes, the book.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Ruam

• Bi-Curious George
  • First-class monotremancer
    • Email
« Reply #686 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:04 PM »
When are people going to realise it :banghead ?! There is not a single vampire in the Twilight books, they have sparkly, meterosexual superheroes with eating disorders. A vampire is the ultimate perversion of nature, a creature of the night cursed to live on even in death, preying upon the living. The ... things in Twilight can be summed up with this and this (though they call them vampires, that is wrong on so many levels).

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #687 on: November 25, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »
When are people going to realise it :banghead ?! There is not a single vampire in the Twilight books, they have sparkly, meterosexual superheroes with eating disorders. A vampire is the ultimate perversion of nature, a creature of the night cursed to live on even in death, preying upon the living. The ... things in Twilight can be summed up with this and this (though they call them vampires, that is wrong on so many levels).
They also call the sparkly protagonist dude a vegetarian ;)

:lol
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #688 on: November 25, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »

Wow. And here I figured the sucktastic things were SARCASM!

I mean, seriously? A vegetarian vampire? Why don't we get a jello-powered Frankenstein while we're at it? Or a Medusa that changes you into CANDY?!

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #689 on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Or a Medusa that changes you into CANDY?!

More useful than stone, if somewhat less permanent.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #690 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »

I mean, seriously? A vegetarian vampire? Why don't we get a jello-powered Frankenstein while we're at it? Or a Medusa that changes you into CANDY?!

The thing is, in this case 'vegetarian' means he doesn't bite/eat humans, instead he goes for animals :banghead
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #691 on: November 26, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »

The thing is, in this case 'vegetarian' means he doesn't bite/eat humans, instead he goes for animals :banghead

I figured, but the mental image still made me lol.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #692 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
"Being a vegetarian by day is easy; the hard part is not becoming a humanitarian at night."
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #693 on: November 26, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
"Being a vegetarian by day is easy; the hard part is not becoming a humanitarian at night."

Terry Pratchett, no?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #694 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
That reminds me, I NEED to get my hands on teh Discworld series.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #695 on: November 26, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

Terry Pratchett, no?
yep, re: Angua.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #696 on: November 27, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »

I had found one before the first movie came out that actually drew a perfect parallel. Nothing was out of line, or a remote stretch. I'll have to see if I can locate it again.

Proving that Twilight is mormon propaganda does not refute my point that everything ever written is propaganda of some sort.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #697 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

I mean, seriously? A vegetarian vampire?
The Saga of Darren Shan has a scene at a meal, where a woman is cooking sausages and asks the protagonist if he is a vegetarian. Someone nearby immediately starts cracking up at the idea of a vegetarian vampire.

Then again there's a scene where the guy who turned Darren into a vampire laughs his head off at the idea that vampires bite people (vampires in this series don't have fangs - they make the required cut with their nails).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:23:54 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: November 28, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »
From this post...

I am now officially old! Turn 20 today...

Sheesh, if you're old, what does that leave for the people in the forum who are 30 years old or more? (I'm 24, myself.)

Also, happy birthday.
We're doddering old cranks shaking our canes and telling you whippersnappers to get off our lawns, of course.  And yes, we do this while talking about how in the old days we played D&D with only 6-sided dice and we liked it that way.   :grave

This made me LOL hard  :lmao

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy