Author Topic: Hermaphrodite Dragons  (Read 1159 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Hermaphrodite Dragons
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:50:31 AM »
   I was involved in a discussion about kobolds earlier today. About their origins and how people describe and use them. One person brought up an idea that I've used before myself, dragons that lay unfertilized eggs that hatch out kobolds. These kobolds would be the same color and general alignment as the parent dragon. They would also be fanatically loyal. I think I based the number of kobolds per egg on the dragons age category.

Which got me thinking... this would mean that in a traditional game only females would have kobold servants. Which doesn't seem fair really. So I thought, why not hermaphrodite dragons? They lay unfertilized eggs based on physical condition and available food supplies. But if they want to lay a fertilized egg they have to swap genetic material with another dragon. This is complete fluff mind you. But fluff that appeals to me.

Anyone else ever use anything like this?

mrdestructicity

• Noob
    • 741.5 Comics
Re: Hermaphrodite Dragons
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
Well, why stop there? There's other non-sexual ways dragons could use to create kobolds. Spores. Budding. Perhaps even grafting (sticking their own cells into humanoids). Or maybe the even switch genders at various points in their life cycle. I think I like that last one because it opens up some opportunities - dragons who like their current gender desperately trying not to switch, for instance.