Author Topic: Sode #14- Gaming is Like...  (Read 9588 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Episode 14- Gaming is Like...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:25:31 AM »
One of my favorite parts of taping our 4e session was that Zeke and I sing through so much of it and I point out that we usually have music playing while we game just to prevent such a thing.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »
Now I see one of the reasons that Meg said she could reasonably pose as my doppleganger wrt constant music.
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

gefahrmaus

• Monkey bussiness
  • My ranger attacks with his sword of brutality.
    • Another Caffeinated Day
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »
On the BG homepage... the DBotW really needs to be part of the show notes.

EOL

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:08 PM »
Wha? 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »
On the BG homepage... the DBotW really needs to be part of the show notes.

EOL

On the Brilliant Gameologists homepage... the Douchebag of the Week really needs to be part of the show notes.

What's so confusing about that?

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 05:17:21 AM »
It isn't because that is something that will make people listen.  People want to know who the douche is.

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »
It isn't because that is something that will make people listen.  People want to know who the douche is.
I don't know if I agree with that. If I was just going to listen for the douche of the week, I'd stop the cast after that.  I think people listen for the content, irregardless of who the douche is ;)

However, having said that, since it's more of a "bonus material" type thing, and doesn't actually fit with the content of the podcast, I agree that it should not be on the main page.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
I think that's a good idea actually-- Josh and I will talk about it more and make a decision, but for example, I decided to list the Origins awards' games in the categories we classified them with the risk folks may not listen, but it actually got more people to listen by doing that. 

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
Hi!  I started listening to the podcast recently, and this is the first one I really felt compelled to respond to.

First, I'd like to compliment you all on your wide variety of analogies.  I'm certainly one of those people who will take analogies way too far, but the warning up front really helped. ;)

I had not actually heard most of what you guys said before.  That being said, I had also never heard of Gaming as storytelling per-se, but as Cooperative Storytelling (as defined by my friend).
That was one of the best representations of gaming I had heard, so I stuck with it.

My personal favorite representation of Gaming is "Playing Pretend... :o  with rules... ;)"

I've also really enjoyed a couple of other 'casts, like Words you Don't Say while Gaming, and the hilarious Love and Sex Episode...
(the love and sex episode has become a surprisingly popular inside joke among my circle of friends)

I look forward to listening to the most recent podcast later tonight. :clap

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
When the occassion arises that I actually talk about gaming at work or with the "norms" (which isn't too often intentionally), I describe it exactly as that Dan, Playing Pretend with Rules.  Since I'm in education, that helps a lot of folks get their heads around it.

I wouldn't say that's an analogy though, more of a definition.  If anything, a metaphor, not a simile ;)