Author Topic: Homebrew Optimization  (Read 2413 times)

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
Homebrew Optimization
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
I realize that Homebrew classes are a varied bunch but I thought it would be interesting to get some looks into what people have done with some of the better Homebrew classes.

So this thread will be dedicated to finding *mostly* balanced classes and putting them into builds.  I'd like the builds to be optimized for almost all of their levels and should try to keep it to only one homebrew thread at a time.  Also be sure to link to the content.

So I'll start with some builds:

Hidden Cat, Pouncing Ninja

Human Scout 1/Ninja 1/Cat Burgler 18
Using the Feats Mouser, Nekochan, and Pouncies! We have a verifiable ubercharger.  Enter combat as a tiny cat giving you a +4 to hit with Weapon finesse.  Use your Ghost Step ability to become invisible and then pounce the nearest opponent.  You gain +3 AC, +2 to Hit and 3 attacks each doing 10d6 bonus damage (5d6 Cat SA,5d6 Skirmish).  Not to mention the fact that when the round ends your opponents are staring at their dead friend with a kitten standing on top of him.  Capable of doing this 9+Wis modifier per day.

Cat Burgler:http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1219752

Lightning Warrior

Orc Lightning Warrior 20
I realize that you don't get a familiar OR an Animal Companion but the d20 HD might just make up for it in the end methinks.

Lightning Warrior:http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-868384.html
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Homebrew Optimization
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
better off taking cat burgler 20 and getting some spell resistance.  due to the wording of the "true kitty" ability, you would have magic immunity akin to a golem. one of the few times drow would actually be a good race.

as for lightningwarrior, orc is a poor choice due to the loss of int. remember, unlike an orc wizard, you do not have a familiar to make up for the hit to your int score. your best bet is either a +int race or human.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
Personally, I have a preference for Blue Mages that take a two-level dip of Chameleon as soon as possible. 

Due to the learning mechanic, you basically have three choices
-Take the class to level 15 so you can grab the nice spells that don't directly effect you
-Take a two-level dip of chameleon and switch sapphire school mastery in and out for what you want to learn in downtime.
-Get a whole lot of bonus feats, and use them all on school masteries, and prestige out as soon as possible

Another possible option is to dip a level of binder, take Power to Burn, and cast some heavily metamagiced spells before adventuring. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Champion: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html
Goal: To be a tank in both normal and avatar forms.  When switching to avatar form, the Champion basically mulligans his HP and starts over at the avatar's highest - so if done properly the character can have an absolutely killer amount of HPs for opponents to deal with.

CG Desert Half-Orc Champion 20

Stats (32 PB)
Str: 18
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 6
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Feats:
1st char: Combat Reflexes
1st racial: Heat Endurance
1st racial: Run
2nd bonus: Improved Initiative
3rd char: Standstill
4th domain: Strength domain (3 solid buffs not on list, level-related domain power)
6th char: Deft Reflexes (+4 to AOO's)
9th char: Improved Toughness
12th char: Robilar's Gambit
12th domain: Fire domain (for the ability to turn/rebuke fire and water subtypes)
15th char: Defensive Sweep
18th char: Hmm.  Leadership for a wizard cohort?

Tactics: the Champion form is a basic AOO-focused tank.  If some homebrew feats are allowed, then giving the Champion an equivalent to the paladin's Battle Blessing or Extra Smiting (Extra Avatar) would change the feats dramatically.

NG  Outsider Champion 20

Stats (32 PB)
Str: 22 (increase by another 24 as he levels...)
Dex: 14
Con: 16  
Int: 8
Wis: 8
Cha: 8

Feats:
1st char: Power Attack
2nd bonus: Heavy Armor Prof.
3rd char: Improved Bull Rush
6th char: Shock Trooper
9th char: Leap Attack
12th char: Improved Toughness
15th char: Flyby Attack
18th char: Defensive Sweep

Tactics: and we switch here to a basic ubercharger build (albeit without pounce, bah!).  

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
better off taking cat burgler 20 and getting some spell resistance.  due to the wording of the "true kitty" ability, you would have magic immunity akin to a golem. one of the few times drow would actually be a good race.
But then your missing out on that 5d6 skirmish damage.  It's nice to be immune to magic and all but being able to do a pouncing 10d6 strike while invisible AS A KITTEN, is pretty cool.  The damage isn't quite that of a swift hunter but if you can get extra appendages in cat form it's the way to go.

as for lightningwarrior, orc is a poor choice due to the loss of int. remember, unlike an orc wizard, you do not have a familiar to make up for the hit to your int score. your best bet is either a +int race or human.
Yeah I guess Human would be good to make up for the fact that you don't get as many feats as a fighter.  Such a "Jack of all trades, Master of None" style class.  I think Factotum is stronger anyways. :p

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
actually, human is brokenly overpowered when combined with lightning warrior, as the bonus feat lets you take obtain familiar. ban it as a DM, and don't do it as a player, as a lightning warrior with a familiar is just over the top.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
Couldn't you have taken obtain familiar with your First level feat anyways?  I think Xvart is the best LW race as it allows you to take an extra 2 levels of Lightning Warrior.  :twitch

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »
Couldn't you have taken obtain familiar with your First level feat anyways?
Pretty sure that qualifies as blasphemy against the church of optimization (or churches? or just one of them? anyways...)

I think Xvart is the best LW race as it allows you to take an extra 2 levels of Lightning Warrior.  :twitch
The who in the what now?  :twitch

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
Xvart doesn't have negative LA. That's a typo.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
I think Xvart is a typo for "incarnate construct warforged".

I mean, the letters are all right next to each other.
Planetouched Handbook

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:26:54 AM »
Champion: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/mYkD5jL8N9SAcClN3pZ.html
I got bored one day after seeing that post.

Broli
[spoiler]Broli (normal)
Medium Feral Monstrous Humanoid
HD: 20d8+140 (233 HP)
Ini: +1(dex)
Speed: 40ft.
AC: 32 (+8 armor, +3 dex, +5 deflection, +6 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 29.
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+31
Attack: Unarmed Strike +31 melee (2d6+16)
Full Attack: Three Unarmed Strikes +31/+26/+21 melee (2d6+16) Or
      Three Unarmed Strikes +29/+24/+19 melee (2d6+16) & One offhand Unarmed Strikes +29 melee (2d6+16).
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Pouch, Rake, Rend, Snap Kick.
Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60ft, Domain (x2), Fast Healing 3, Hero Form 5/day (5 min per), Perfect Transformation.
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +14, Will +17.
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 8. Wis 10, Cha 14.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Flying Kick, Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Snap Kick, Superior Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Two-Weapon Fighting.
Skills: Bluff +24, Listen +24, Spot +24.
Equipment: Amulet of Mighty Fists +5, Belt of Giant Strength +6, Boots of Speed, Bracers of Armor +8, Cloak of Resistance +5, Manual of Bodily Health +4*, Manual of Gainful Exercise +4*, Manual of Quickness in Action +4*, Ring of Protection +5, Ring of Telekinesis.
Spells: 1st - divine favor, endure elements. 2nd - cure serious wounds, resist energy x2. 3rd - heroism x2, prayer. 4th - cure critical wounds x2, freedom of movement.
Environment: Any.
Organization: Any.
CR: 24
Treasure: 1,800pp plus items.
Alignment: Neutral Good.
Advancement: By class.
Level Adjustment: +1
Effective Character Level: 21.
[/spoiler]

Broli (super saiyen)
[spoiler]Super Saiyen Broli (avatar)
Large Feral Monstrous Humanoid/Outsider
HD: 20d12+240 (375 HP)
Ini: +1(dex)
Speed: land 40ft, fly 90 (perfect).
AC: 36 (+8 armor, +5 dex, +5 deflection, +9 natural, -1 size), touch 19, flat-footed 31.
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+35
Attack: Unarmed Strike +45 melee (3d6+26)
Full Attack: Four Unarmed Strikes +45/+40/+35/+30 melee (3d6+26) Or
      Four Unarmed Strikes +43/+38/+33/+28 melee (3d6+26) & Three offhand Unarmed Strikes +43/+38/+33 melee (3d6+26).
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Fiery Fist, Flying Kick, Improved Grab, Ki Blast, Pounce, Rake, Rend, Snap Kick.
Special Qualities: DR 10/Good, Dark Vision 60ft, Fast Healing 3.
Resistances: acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, sonic 10.
Immunities: Ability Drain, Ability Damage, Disease, Energy Drain, Poison, and Polymorph.
Saves: Fort +29, Ref +22, Will +13.
Abilities: Str 52, Dex 20, Con 34, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.
Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Fiery Fist, Flying Kick, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Grapple, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Ki Blast, Power Attack, Snap Kick, Stunning Fist, Superior Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), Two-Weapon Fighting.
Skills: Listen +25, Spot +25.
Equipment: Amulet of Mighty Fists +5, Belt of Giant Strength +6, Boots of Speed, Bracers of Armor +8, Cloak of Resistance +5, Manual of Bodily Health +4*, Manual of Gainful Exercise +4*, Manual of Quickness in Action +4*, Ring of Protection +5, Ring of Telekinesis.
Spells: 1st - divine favor, endure elements. 2nd - cure serious wounds, resist energy x2. 3rd - heroism x2, prayer. 4th - cure critical wounds x2, freedom of movement.
Environment: Any.
Organization: Any.
CR: 25
Treasure: 1,800pp plus items.
Alignment: Neutral Good.
Advancement: By class.
Level Adjustment: +2 (size advancement)
Effective Character Level: 22.
[/spoiler]

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
Remember that many flaws can be put onto the champion with virtually no cost, like the one that lowers init, or slow healer.
Planetouched Handbook

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »
If the DM allows it - I wouldn't :P

I think it would be cool using the Champion to fill multiple roles in the party, with the champion being the party scout or knowledge guy and the avatar being the tank, but the class mechanics don't support it very well, and having 2 sets of gear would be rough :(

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
I think Xvart is a typo for "incarnate construct warforged".

I mean, the letters are all right next to each other.
So would a Half-Fey Incarnate Construct Warforged be LA +0 then?  And what's the level adjustment of an incarnate flesh golem?  I never liked that template at all but it would be cool to become a "real boy" by using that template.  Except you lose all your construct powers... better than reforged though!

Getting away from Lightning Warrior Nonsense.  What PrC's would be good for the Willshaper: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-683212?  There's a final version in Pendragon's compilation but I can't seem to find it.  The will shaper seems obnoxiously powerful but then hamstringed by the backlash of his spells...  Maybe war weaver might be good as he wouldn't have to cast as many spells and he has access to every buff spell.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
Telekineticist:http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=694603

This class gets rather unique ability at first level: Armament

With it you can do 1d6 of any melee type damage at a range of 10ft.  The interesting part is that it cannot be telegraphed and thus all attacks using it immediatly hit it off with sneak attack.  Now I agree that at upper levels a ring of blinking makes all other points moot but at least this way you can keep out of harms way/get early SA/Move.

The redeeming grace is the fact that armament can be split up.  Lets optimize it as a DM throwing someting at a 4 man party of 10th level:
Human Rogue1/Telekineticist 7/Ninja 1/Spell thief 1
Feats: Martial Study (Whatever), Martial Stance (Assasin's Stance), and 3 open feats
We have a 4d6 Armament attack and 5d6 SA dice.  Every round our foe can glide 5 ft further into the air from the party and then lay down 6d6 damage to each one of the party members using only a touch attack (assuming 16 char its a +9 to hit).  While some may point to fireball that can be evaded and resisted, whereas this cannot.

I would love it if there were size modifiers for Telekinetics but alas Hulking Hurler style damage is not to be.  Although you can always pick up a party member and drop him from 200 ft up.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:58:03 PM by Aliment »