Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 3711 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Help Needed
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Can anyobdy please help me, I am starting a new campaing and I was interested in doing a Half-dragon human dusk blade, I managed to convince my DM to let me play it at LA +2 instead of +3, any help building it will be appreciated, I was also considering yo dip in Ranger for the track and FE features (I think it would be an undead-heavy campaing) we are starting at ECL 10.

All help will be appreciated.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forums! 

Well, before we can really get into detail, here are a few pieces of information that would be useful.

- Your ability score generation - are you rolling, or using point buy, and what are the details (# of points, or outcomes of your rolls)

- What books are allowed for use.  (for example, unearthed arcana's level adjustment buyoff would be great for you)

- Any details of the rest of the party's composition
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Duskblade Handbook by Dictuum Mortuum

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »
Thanks in advance, and we are using 32 point buying and well the DM doesn't limit us in books as long as  we can show the books to him, I posses the unearthed arcana, core books, spell compendium tome of battle, PH II Eberron and Races of Eberron. I forgot to mention it before but the campaing setting is Eberron.
and about the party...... i am not sure but I think there will be a halfling rouge andI think a psion class but I am not sure which.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
+

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 12:18:02 AM »
Silliness aside, consider asking your DM if you can take Half Dragon Paragon levels, but advance duskblade caster level instead of sorcerer.  With a level adjustment of two, you're already going to be behind in spell levels, so your duskblade side is probably going to be providing low-level spells anyway.
Planetouched Handbook

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:58:11 AM »
... I just talked with my DM and found out the campaing is actually a GESTALF CAMPAING :D so I am more than happy, and he agreed the LA buy-off from UA so as of know I have one half of my Gestalf Character
Half-red dragon Duskblade 10
Feats:
1-Versatile Spellcaster / Power Attack
2-Combat Casting
3-Knowledge Devotion
6-Obtain Familiar
9-Arcanestrike

for the other half I was thinking of a rouge1/sorcerer4/spellwarp sniper 5

so what do you think? reccomend?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 02:56:59 AM »
I would recommend choosing something other than sorcerer.  Duskblade relies on intelligence for casting, sorcerer relies on charisma, so a better choice would be something else that uses intelligence.

Combat casting is pretty horrible - are you using it to qualify for something?  If not, pick up skill focus:concentration instead if you really need that boost (which you might not).
Planetouched Handbook

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
I know skill focus is better, but combat casting is a bonus feat for duskblades XD

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 03:05:13 AM »
I would recommend choosing something other than sorcerer.  Duskblade relies on intelligence for casting, sorcerer relies on charisma, so a better choice would be something else that uses intelligence.

Combat casting is pretty horrible - are you using it to qualify for something?  If not, pick up skill focus:concentration instead if you really need that boost (which you might not).

Duskblades get Combat Casting as a bonus feat. No harm since it's free, eh?

As to the other side, I recommend Warblade. Duskblade 13/Fiendblooded* 7//Warblade 20 (after LA buyoff) would be quite snazzy. Full BAB, good Fort and Will saves, d12 HD, loads of Int synergy, and fun combos like arcane channeling + time stands still. The fiend-blooded is there to grab some spells for your list, like shivering touch (Channel that shit! Channel it hard!). You also get some random stat bumps, and your familiar becomes fiendish.

*Heroes of Horror.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:07:14 AM »
Ah, :facepalm I completely forgot about it.  

Just like when I tried playing a character with it.  I am not the best at situational bonuses.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:17:16 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:39:56 AM »
I though of this build Duskblade 10 Fighter 2 (bonus feats) wizard 3 (free familiar and prestidigitation XD) fiend blooded 5 (I am not sure if I gain the fiendish familiar with 5 levels) the fighter dip is basically to free a space for the fiendish heritage feat which I think is a prerequisite for being a fiendblooded without loosing the power attack, the wizard dip is for free familiar and instead of obtain familiar as a feat I get improved familiar (say hello to a pseudodragon!!!) and if get the fiendish familiar from the fiend blooded even better, a fiendish pseudodragonit it's just plain AWESOME, so what do you think?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »
Psychic warrior is probably a teensie bit better for you than fighter.

Familiars in general are a little fragile (and the xp loss/ "year and a day" clause totally suck - get a scroll of "last breath" or "revivify" or something similar). 

If you decide on a pseudodragon, I'd recommend giving it mindsight as a feat instead of the default alertness - you'll basically have 60' of radar that detect anything.

Stitched flesh/undead familiar will make him more useful - you can then apply the "spell-stitched" template, and give your familiar his own zombie army and some useful spell-like abilities.
Planetouched Handbook

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »
the spell stitched sounds interesting, where do you find the template?

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
libris mortis
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
... I have checked the libris mortis and I didn't find the undead familiar template or the spell stitched

Whiplord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:51:39 PM »
... I have checked the libris mortis and I didn't find the undead familiar template or the spell stitched

Spellstitched Creature is in Monster Manual 2. I feel like there's a more recent version somewhere, but it is there.

The Lurker

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »

Spellstitched Creature is in Monster Manual 2. I feel like there's a more recent version somewhere, but it is there.
Complete Arcane.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
Duskblade 13/Fiendblooded* 7//Warblade 20 (after LA buyoff)
+1.  I can't think of anything to better combo with Duskblade than Warblade.  Archivist might be interesting, if your group is low in the divine department.  Swashbuckler 3 might also help for more int synergy.  Add in some carmendine monk...

You could go completely unarmed, then channel some fire based touch spell... and then watch your Dm's DMG fly at you as you scream: FALCOON PAAWNCH!!
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"