Author Topic: CharOp Challenge, take out the BBEG from Age of Worms  (Read 6221 times)

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
CharOp Challenge, take out the BBEG from Age of Worms
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
I've never played through Age of Worms, there always seems to be newer challenges and ones with less brutal reputations. Flipping through the end of the adventure, low and behold the final boss looks like a meaty challenge. Don't spoil yourself if you don't want to be spoiled.

[spoiler]
Kyuss
Worm that walks Cleric 8, Sorcerer 8, True Necromancer 14
Huge Aberration (extraplanar)

Init +7, Senses: Blindsight 1 mile, Listen +38, Spot +18
Auras : Aura of Divinity (10ft), Zone of Desecration (140ft)

Attributes: s42, d24, c38, i38, w44, c42

AC 59, Touch AC 51, Flat Footed AC 52
HP 660 (30 HD), DR: 15/Epic

Immune
: Ability Drain/Damage, Acid, Cold, Critical Hits, Death, Disease, Disintrgration, Electricity, Energy Drain, Flanking, Mind Affecting, Paralysis, Petrification, Poison, Polymorph, Sleep, Sneak Attack, Stunning
Resist fire 6; SR 40
Fort +34, Ref +23, Will +44

Spd 100ft
Melee: Mace of Kyuss +37/+32/+27/+22 (4d6+29)x3 Create Spawn, Engulf
Ranged: Worm +23 touch (Create Spawn)
Space 15ft; Reach 15ft
Frightful Presence DC 41

Special Qualities
Automatic Actions (skill checks), Create Magic Items (less than 4.5k), discorporiate, necromantic prowess +4, negative energy affinity, portfolio sense, remote sensing, spontaneous casting, summon familiar, teleportation

He has 10th level Cleric and Sorcerer Spells, assume they have been tweaked by a moderately skilled optimizer.
I'm going to skip a Page of spells, SLAs and feats to get to the nasty stuff

Interesting Attacks
Blasphemy as a SLA
Create Spawn:  Spend an attack to kill a little worm before it borrows into your brain and changes you into a spawn
Divine Blast: Ranged touch, 17d12 damage, no save, no resistances apply
Divine Rank 1: Doesn't autofail attacks/saves on a natural 1
Engulf: Secondary Attack, Ref Save (39) or 20d10 damage and 3d6 Int Damage, die from this and rise as a Worm spawn

Things the DM will make sure he can do through spells:
Immunity to Scrying by Mindblank
Track Players who teleport away
Cast either Protection from Fire/Sonic or Immunity to Fire/Sonic

[/spoiler]

Call me cynical, but I don't think Fighter 20 is going to cut it.

Additional Rules for this discussion:
Genesis can not be used to create a plane with time flowing at a different rate than the prime material.
20th Level character(s), standard Wealth By Level
Anything WotC 3.0/3.5 goes

So what would you use to take down Kyuss, and what odds do you think you have of succeeding?

Edit 1: Added his attributes, and his special qualities
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:22:43 PM by juton »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: CharOp Challenge, take out the BBEG from Age of Worms
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
I haven't read up on Kyuss, but I did read up on Dragotha a while ago. Does dusting the ol' lizard with Turn Undead get me any credit? :P

Anywho, looking forward to see what CO comes up with to take out Kyuss :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »
Oh much overkill do you want for this challenge. Because the easy answer is as always pun pun. But That is boring as you basically win automatically and everyone knows that. I am assuming that when you list death in his immunities you mean death effects as opposed to a flat immunity to death, because otherwise this may be difficult. Also the spell resistance of 40 will make things difficult. 

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
Also the spell resistance of 40 will make things difficult. 
Use something that doesn't allow SR?

Use a dual (or triple) threat with Theurgic Caster?

:)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »
A Cleric 20 with Prayer Beads, an Ankh of Ascenscion and with Assay spell resistance up has effectively +38 to the check, so SR is annoying but not a deal breaker.

I assume immunity to Death means immunity to death effects.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
The reason I mentioned that is he also appears to be immune to most of the effects that are common in no SR spells.

Although now that I think about it one thing that could really work on this monster is the ectoplasmic cocoon power. As the reflex saves are actually pretty reasonable and if would deny him almost all of his abilities. Then he can do is use his SLAs which reduces his danger significantly. And because he is an aberration he still needs to breath. Which means that with a casting of spell immunity to block his blasphemies and a shrink item spell cast on a huge tub of water (multiple castings would be required) and a the astral construct power along with ectoplasmic cocoon can be used to kill him. You simply cast the spell immunity beforehand and then manifest a heavily augmented and dc boosted ectoplasmic cocoon which should have a dc of around 36 or so. This should restrain him for about 23 rounds (due to overchannel) as he cannot take any physical actions. Then manifest multiple twinned astral constructs to pick him up and dunk him in the unshrunk tub and let him drown. Recasting ectoplasmic cocoon as needed.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot he had a divine rank which would remove the need to breath.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:09:46 PM by Havok4 »

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
@Havok4

That would work perfectly. Except buried deep in his stat block, under special qualities is 'teleportation'. I only have photocopies of the first (only?) two pages of his stat block, so I'm not sure if his teleportation abilities are spelled out in any more detail.

That was kind of a fubar on my part. You could just keep casting it on him, as long as their are more party members than BBEGs you'll win by economy of actions.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
Possibly have someone cast dimensional anchor on him before hand could eliminate that? Then you could trap him in the cocoon. Which I just realized blocks line of sight so he could not use many of his abilities while trapped. Which would help keep him from summarily destroying the party.

By the way how is he intended to be defeated in the modular? It does not look like he was designed to be fought by an average party.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:47:34 PM by Havok4 »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
Nalthain.

Without the Only Core forms and Arcane Thesis houserules he was built under, he shapechanges into a Chronotyryn and unleashes metaed Orbs of Fire.

Moves undetectably to within 60ft taking advantage of his ability to move 680ft per round. He shifts into Chronotyryn, and his Familiar shifts into a Beholder with AMF eye aimed at enemy.

He unleashes 10 Meatmagiced Orbs that each do 300 damage and 2 negative levels. 250 damage to someone immune to cold and fire.

Attacks are all at +47 against touch flat footed AC in an AMF. Probably manages to do the 660 damage needed.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
The beholder antimagic cone will not due anything due to the divine rank of 1.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
The beholder antimagic cone will not due anything due to the divine rank of 1.

Well then he still probably dies anyway. I can just replace that with an additional 8 Orbs at a +37 from my familiar and give up two from casting Game Disjunction before my assault. And I can counter any spells he casts as a free action during his turn up to 6 times to keep him from escaping. Not that he'd notice any of my attacks, or even my existence.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
my thought is RKV using aura of chaos and imbued healing. Just jack your attack roll high enough to ensure hitting. Then it is like the old days of NES where the game locks up for a while and the guy dies do to taking more damage than the console can compute.  But this trick isn't much better than saying Pun-Pun since it is an infinite loop.

I guess this would suffice as an accurate list of disqualifications:
Campaign Smashers II
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
Nalthain.

Without the Only Core forms and Arcane Thesis houserules he was built under, he shapechanges into a Chronotyryn and unleashes metaed Orbs of Fire.

Moves undetectably to within 60ft taking advantage of his ability to move 680ft per round. He shifts into Chronotyryn, and his Familiar shifts into a Beholder with AMF eye aimed at enemy.

He unleashes 10 Meatmagiced Orbs that each do 300 damage and 2 negative levels. 250 damage to someone immune to cold and fire.

Attacks are all at +47 against touch flat footed AC in an AMF. Probably manages to do the 660 damage needed.

I'm AFB for now so I can't look up some things in your build. How are you not being detected by his 1 mile Blindsight, I thought only levels in Darkstalker gives you that? I assumed that most DMs I know would have him Prepare Energy Immunity twice, once for fire and once for sonic, although you could do something similar with Orb of Force or Melf's Unicorn Arrow. How do you get +47 to hit, your Character sheet says +31, which looks like all buffs and shapechange mods applied.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:06 PM »
I think that what needs to happen is a shadow pouncer. Something similar to Barbarian1 (whirling lion totem)/Totemist1/Enough to get shadow pounce.

He needs to get maxed UMD, and cast the following things on himself: Flicker, Righteous Might, Bite of the Werebear, possibly Divine Power. Shapechange into something awesome. Limited wish would work for any of those things.

surprise round, he gates in to within charging distance of Kyuss. Charge and shock trooper. With his net + 24 strength,near full BAB, and any assorted bonuses he'd have, (any bit helps), he shock troopers for 4, uses that one soulmeld to get an extra move action, uses his move action to teleport above kyuss, falls, battle jump shock trooper'd power attack. Immediate action: Flicker above Kyuss, battle jump shock trooper.

If that doesn't do over 600 damage, then you lose. However, with each attack doing about 150, and whirling frenzy for double attacks at near full bab with each full attack, and 3 full attacks, you have a decent chance to take the guy down.

Not going to do the actual calculations, but you could definitely get a +46 to hit with a little investment, and if you can find a shapechange form with better strength than a Solar Angel, then it scales up from there. If you add in Persistent Wraithstrike, that's another effective +8 or 9 to hit. assuming you win initiative (and believe me, you will want to win initiative. Alternately, use greater celerity), against his flat footed touch, I think it's safe to say that the 6 attacks that are likely to hit will kill him, and any extra is gravy.

Your weapon is a +5 Aberration Bane Greatsword, which has a +6 enhancement bonus vs him, and thus wins. Magebane for extra cool points.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot Valorous Weapon and to add in the battle jump calculations. Each attack does 450 damage, easily. Add in Leap Attack and a Jump spell and you'll break another 90 on each attack. What's damage reduction?

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
I'm AFB for now so I can't look up some things in your build. How are you not being detected by his 1 mile Blindsight, I thought only levels in Darkstalker gives you that?

Superior invisibility works against blindsight, blindsense, etc IIRC.

Also, Darkstalker is a feat, not a class.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
By the way how is he intended to be defeated in the modular? It does not look like he was designed to be fought by an average party.
The party has the entire contents of Dragotha's horde by this point... including several artefacts. They may also have a sphere of annihilation stolen from the Tomb of Horrors (there are rules included in the final adventure on how this interacts with deities). You can also do some short sidequests beforehand to weaken him. Oh, and he can take no actions in the first round after he appears.

I seem to remember that Kyuss was equipped with three major artefacts, including his cloak and mace - what were their powers?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:16:42 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
See now I want to go find this and run my players through it. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
I might be able to hook you up, assuming I can still find my copy...

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »
if possible i would be interested as well.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm AFB for now so I can't look up some things in your build. How are you not being detected by his 1 mile Blindsight, I thought only levels in Darkstalker gives you that? I assumed that most DMs I know would have him Prepare Energy Immunity twice, once for fire and once for sonic, although you could do something similar with Orb of Force or Melf's Unicorn Arrow. How do you get +47 to hit, your Character sheet says +31, which looks like all buffs and shapechange mods applied.

Superior Invisibility is undetectable from Blindsight.

+31 is with an inferior Shapechange form and only some buffs.

250 damage is how much it would I thought it would do to someone immune to all energy, because it's 250 damage either untyped or special fire or cold damage that ignores immunity. (Searing and Piercing Cold respectively, the untyped is from Corrupt and the good version of Corrupt) so 150 Fire damage 150 Cold, half of each is Corrupt (untyped) half is whatever (untyped) and then of the remaining 75 cold and 75 Fire, half of it ignore immuntiy, so it's actually only 225 damage per orb to immune creatures.

AB is +20 BAB (Divine Power limited Wish) +Dex on Chrono, can't remember off hand, will look it up later: +2 competence (Create Magic Tattoo) +1 untyped (Air Mastery) +4 moral (Greater Heroism) +5 insight (Knowledge Devotion) +3 Luck (Divine Favor via limited Wish) +2 untyped (Haste) +2 from being invisible =+39 + Chrono dex, which I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a modifier of +5 or so before +6 dex item, so that would make it actually a +47. But I may very well be wrong about Chrono. I don't usually do all this math because as soon as I explain the idea most Challenges I start building it for start making vetoes and rules changes, so I end up with something much more modest like the actually linked character.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:53:37 PM by Kaelik »