Author Topic: [3.5] New Tome of Battle discipline: Raging Storm  (Read 11918 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
[3.5] New Tome of Battle discipline: Raging Storm
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »
This discipline is designed to be used with RadicalTaoist's Sublime Way Ranger variant.  It's meant to be used in place of the Falling Star discipline.  There is a fair amount of overlap, but it focues more on nature-oriented supernatural effects; particularly storm-related.  So, I'm looking for your thoughts, advice, and critiques.  I'm fine with renaming some of these maneuvers too; I've never been all that good with names and flavor text.

Raging StormManeuver and Stance List               

1st LEVEL
Channeled Shock:Point Blank Marksmanship:True Shot: Weather the Elements:2nd LEVEL
Guiding Wind:North Wind Shot:Static Charge:Whirlwind: 3rd LEVEL
Lightning Strike:Numbing Cold: Static Field:4th LEVEL
Dance of the Winding Breeze:Lightning Blade:Thunder Clap:Winter Wind: 5th LEVEL
Maelstrom:True Shot, Greater:Zephyr Armor:6th LEVEL
Refreshing Breeze: Thunder Clap, Greater:7th LEVEL
Dancing Storm:Exit Wound: Stormstrike: 8th LEVEL
Driving Wind: Thunderhead:9th LEVEL
Apocalypse Storm: APOCALYPSE STORM
Raging Storm (Strike) [Air][Cold][Electricity]
Level: Sublime Ranger 9
Prerequisite: Four Raging Storm maneuvers
Initiation Action: 1 full-round action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: 60-ft.-radius burst centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex partial

All the fury of the heavens rains down in a tremendous thunderstorm.

This maneuver deals 50 cold and 50 electric damage to all creatures in the area and knocks them prone.  A successful Reflex save (DC 19 + your Wisdom modifier) halves the damage and prevents the creature from falling prone.  Creatures larger than you gain a +4 bonus to the saving throw in regards to falling prone but not for reducing the damage, and creatures smaller than you take a -4 penalty on the save in regards to falling prone but not for reducing the damage.  You are not harmed by your own Apocalypse Storm nor are you knocked prone.
   This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

CHANNELED SHOCK
Raging Storm (Boost) [Electricity]
Level: Sublime Ranger 1
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: End of turn

You channel electricity, striking your foes.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

DANCE OF THE WINDING BREEZE
Raging Storm (Strike)
Level: Sublime Ranger 4
Prerequisite: Two Raging Storm maneuvers
Range: Ranged attack
Target: One creature

As the wind winds through the forest, you effortlessly slip between the trees, pursuing your target.

As part of this maneuver, make a ranged attack.  Your attack deals an extra 3d6 damage.  In addition, you may move up to your full movement speed before the attack and after the attack (allowing you to move up to double your speed in one round).

DANCING STORM
Raging Storm (Strike) [Electricity]
Level: Sublime Ranger 7
Prerequisite: Three Raging Storm maneuvers
Target: One or more creatures

A combination of grace and the channeled fury of a storm, you dance across the battlefield, striking you foes down with hurled lightning.

As part of this maneuver, make a full-attack with a ranged weapon.  You may move up to your base movement speed during this attack and you must move at least five feet between each attack.  You may choose to attack the same creature or multiple creatures.  Each attack deals an extra 3d6 electric damage.

DRIVING WIND
Raging Storm (Strike)
Level: Sublime Ranger 8
Initiation Action: 1 standard action

You nock an arrow, holding the strength close to its breaking point. You then let it go with dazzling speed, knocking your foe back.

As part of this maneuver, you make a ranged attack. If you succeed, this attack deals an additional 12d6 points of damage. Furthermore, you may initiate a bull rush attempt against that target, except you use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier. If the target fails its check, it must make another check equal to the bull rush or be knocked prone at the end of the bull rush.  You do not move with the target as part of this bull rush.  If the target succeeds on its check, the target does not move, but it still takes the extra damage.

ELECTRIC BLADE

Your attacks channel the strength of lightning.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 2d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

EXIT WOUND
Raging Storm (Strike)
Range: See text
Area: Line; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex half

You make a single, powerful shot that passes through anything it hits.GUIDING WIND
Raging Storm (Boost)
Level: Sublime Ranger 2
Duration: 1 round

Your shot sails to your target on a guiding wind, granting you accuracy.

You double the base range increment of your weapon for one round.

LIGHTNING STRIKE
Raging Storm (Strike) [Electricity]
Level: Sublime Ranger 3
Prerequisite: One Raging Storm maneuver
Area: 40 ft. vertical line
Saving Throw: Reflex half

You focus the fury of nature into a bolt of lightning from the sky.

This maneuver creates a 40 foot vertical line of lightning and deals 5d6 electric damage to all in the area.  A successful Reflex save (DC 13 + your Wisdom modifier) halves the damage.

MAELSTROM
Raging Storm (Strike) [Air]
Level: Sublime Ranger 5
Area: Cylinder 10 ft radius, 40 ft high
Saving Throw: Fort partial

You create a small whirlwind, knocking your opponents to the ground.

This maneuver creates small windstorm in a 40 foot tall cylinder with a 10 foot radius.  The winds in the area are of windstorm strength (51-74 mph).  Small and smaller creatures are blown away, medium creatures are knocked down, and, large and huge creatures are checked.  A successful Fortitude save (DC 15 + your Wisdom modifier) negates these effects.  In addition, ranged weapon attacks are impossible.  See the page 95 of the DMG for additional information on windstorm force winds.

NORTH WIND SHOT
Raging Storm (Strike)
Target: Two creatures

A quick draw and swift reflexes allow you to fell two foes in the time it would normally take to kill one.

As part of this maneuver, make a two ranged attacks, each against a different foe.  Each target must be within fifteen feet of the other.  Resolve each attack separately.

NUMBING COLD
Raging Storm (Strike) [Cold]
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous; 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

As you touch your opponent, a numbing wave of cold comes over his body, sapping his strength.

As part of this maneuver, you perform a melee touch attack.  If successful, you deal 2d6 cold damage to your target.  The target also suffers a -4 penalty to its Strength score, although a successful Fortitude save (DC 13 + your Wisdom modifier) reduces this penalty to -2.  The penalty lasts for 3 rounds.  Creatures immune to ability damage suffer no Strength penalty.

POINT BLANK MARKSMANSHIP
Raging Storm (Stance)
Duration: Stance

Through a combination of focus and heightened reflexes, you control the area around you, firing attacks faster than your opponents can react.REFRESHING BREEZE
Raging Storm (Boost)
Level: Sublime Ranger 6
Duration: see text

When times are tough, you look inward and find the strength you need to continue the fight.

If your current hit point total is below half your maximum hit points, you may initiate this maneuver to gain fast healing 5.  This maneuver ends when your current hit point total is greater than or equal to half your maximum hit points or if your current hit points fall below zero.

STATIC CHARGE
Raging Storm (Counter) [Electricity]
Initiation Action: 1 immediate action

Holding a static charge, you release it the moment your opponent strikes.

When a creature successfully strikes you with a melee weapon or natural weapon, you can use this maneuver to give yourself the ability to make an immediate melee touch attack.  If your attack hits, your target takes 4d6 points of electric damage.

STATIC FIELD
Raging Storm (Stance) [Electricity]

You build a palpable electric charge around you.

An adjacent opponent that hits you with a melee attacks while you are in this stance takes 5 points of electric damage.  Your Static Field does not harm a creature using a reach weapon to attack you.
   This stance is a supernatural ability.

STORMSTRIKE

The fury of the storm is channeled through your attacks.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 3d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

THUNDER CLAP
Raging Storm (Strike) [Sonic]
Range: Ranged Attack
Area: 10-foot radius
Saving Throw: None; Reflex half

You release your shot so quickly that it is accompanied by a clap of thunder.

As part of this maneuver, make a ranged attack.  Your attack deals an extra 3d6 sonic damage to the target.  Each creature within 10 feet also takes 3d6 damage, but may attempt a Reflex save (DC 14 + your Dexterity modifier) for half damage.  The creature hit by your ranged attack does not get a saving throw for half damage.

THUNDER CLAP, GREATER
Raging Storm (Strike) [Sonic]
Level: Sublime Ranger 6
Range: Ranged Attack
Area: 10-foot radius
Saving Throw: None; Reflex half

You release your shot so quickly that it is accompanied by a clap of thunder.

This maneuver functions exactly like Thunder Clap, except the target and each creature within 10 feet take 6d6 sonic damage.

THUNDERHEAD
Raging Storm (Stance) [Electricity]
Level: Sublime Ranger 8
Range: Personal; 5-ft.
Target: You; one creature

While in this stance, you gain concealment, and all attacks against you have a 20% miss chance.  Each round, on your turn, you may strike any adjacent creature with a lightning bolt for 8d6 points of electric damage as a free action.  A successful Reflex save (DC 18 + your Wisdom modifier) halves the damage.  You may only use the lightning bolt once per round.

TRUE SHOT
Raging Storm (Strike)

Focusing on your target, your shot strikes true.

As part of this maneuver, make a ranged attack.  If it hits, it deals normal damage, as well as an additional 1d4 damage.
   Before rolling the attack roll, you may choose to subtract a number from your damage and add that number as a bonus to your attack roll.  You cannot subtract more than your base attack bonus or 5, whichever is lower.

TRUE SHOT, GREATER
Raging Storm (Strike)

With greater focus, you can strike your target at almost any distance.

This maneuver functions exactly like True Shot, except that you deal +5d4 damage on a successful attack.  The number you may subtract from your damage cannot exceed your base attack bonus, but may now be greater than 5.

WEATHER THE ELEMENTS
Raging Storm (Stance)

Through a strong connection with nature, you can endure the harshest environments.

While in this stance, you resist hot and cold temperatures as if affected by an Endure Elements spell.  In addition, you gain cold and fire resistance equal to your ranks in Survival.

WHIRLWIND
Raging Storm (Strike) [Air]
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

You engulf a creature in a small, confounding whirlwind.

This maneuver entangles the target creature for one round unless it succeeds on a Reflex save (DC 12 + your Wisdom modifier).  Creatures larger than you gain a +4 bonus to this save and creatures smaller than you take a -4 penalty to the save.

WINTER WIND
Raging Storm (Strike) [Air][Cold]
Saving Throw: Reflex partial

You freeze and baffle your opponent in a whirlwind.

This maneuver functions exactly like Whirlwind except that the target creature also takes 5d6 cold damage.  A successful Reflex save halves this damage.  The DC is 14 + your Wisdom modifier.

ZEPHYR ARMOR
Raging Storm (Stance) [Air]

Swift currents of wind twist tight around your body causing attacks to alter their path, while leaving your own movements unhindered.

While in this stance, all range attacks against you suffer a -4 penalty on their attack roll.  You also gain damage reduction 2/- against melee and ranged attacks.

Feats

CALM BEFORE THE STORM
Your discipline and focus make your fury all the more terrifying.
   Prerequisites: One Raging Storm stance.
   Benefit:STORM MASTER
The fury of the storm is synergized between your martial and magical training.
   Prerequisites: Caster level 1st, one Raging Storm stance.
   Benefit: While you are in a Raging Storm stance, you gain a +1 bonus to your caster level for all spells with the [Air], [Cold], or [Electricity] descriptors.

EYE OF THE HURRICANE [TACTICAL]
   Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Calm Before the Storm, Two Raging Storm maneuvers.
   Benefit: This feat grants you three options for combat:
   Piercing Perception: If you succeed on a DC 20 Survival check, you can ignore any percent-based miss chances due to concealment.  If the target is invisible, you still need to pinpoint their square.
   Take Aim: If you make a ranged attack against a target and miss, you gain a +2 competence bonus on your attack roll if you attack the same creature with your next attack.  This second attack must also be made with a ranged weapon.
   Thunder and Lightning: If you successfully hit an opponent with a Raging Storm maneuvers with the [electricity] descriptor, the maneuver deals an extra 1d3 sonic damage as well.  This applies to maneuvers and stances (such as Thunderhead and Static Field).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:31:35 PM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
Re: [3.5] New Tome of Battle discipline: Raging Storm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
Names look fine! And the combo of melee and ranged strikes makes this a pretty powerful discipline. I'm glad to see electricity damage getting the same love fire got. Makes me wish I could convince Generic_PC to let me use a sublime way ranger.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:59:39 AM »
I like this discipline a lot, for the most part, but my only complaints are thus:

1) 1st level needs another strike, and probably a boost.

2) The Greater Trueshot maneuver seems pretty weak for it's level. Maybe lower it to 4th?

3) I know Inferno Blast isn't the best as far as 9th level maneuvers go, but this seems head and shoulders better. Reduce the burst radius, by about half, and maybe change the damage to 9d6 of each element. With the prone effect tacked on it's still a very useful and powerful maneuver.

Other than that, it's very nice. Thunderhead is one of the cooler 8th level stances I've seen in a while.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
I can't get past it...

Geese!!!!
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 04:49:23 AM »
Ah, static field isn't described, but stance field is.  :P

-- Edit -- Ah, and does anyone know if there's a new link to the falling star document, since the page doesn't seem to exist for me...?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:24:41 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
First of all, thanks for the replies.  I also realized I forgot to come up with a feat and a tactical feat for the discipline, so I'll have to work on that later.

Names look fine! And the combo of melee and ranged strikes makes this a pretty powerful discipline. I'm glad to see electricity damage getting the same love fire got. Makes me wish I could convince Generic_PC to let me use a sublime way ranger.
I'm hoping that it works out well.  Due to the obvious lack of ranged support in ToB and my lack of experience in rolling up archers, I was trying my best.  I thought electricity damage would be nice because it was missing.  The original version of this borrowed more heavily form Desert Wind, but I'm hoping this is unique enough now.

1) 1st level needs another strike, and probably a boost.
I think you're right.  I'll probably only add one more maneuver (strike or boost), as it puts it at a total of four.

2) The Greater Trueshot maneuver seems pretty weak for it's level. Maybe lower it to 4th?
This was one I borrowed from Falling Star.  I'll take a look later and either boost its strength or lower its level.

3) I know Inferno Blast isn't the best as far as 9th level maneuvers go, but this seems head and shoulders better. Reduce the burst radius, by about half, and maybe change the damage to 9d6 of each element. With the prone effect tacked on it's still a very useful and powerful maneuver.
I guess it depends on who your opponents are, too.  If used against PCs, I agree this is better than Inferno Blast.  If used against monsters, by 17th level, so many things have resistances and immunities that I figured 50 damage of two types should deal less damage than 100 of one type for many monsters.  Do you think the knocking prone aspect makes it too powerful?

Also, I think the 60 foot range is as much of an asset as a liability.  While you're not affected, your allies are.

Other than that, it's very nice. Thunderhead is one of the cooler 8th level stances I've seen in a while.
Thanks.  I liked that one too.  And I feel enough of the other stances are useful for other reasons so that you won't always be in this one at 15th level.

-- Edit -- Ah, and does anyone know if there's a new link to the falling star document, since the page doesn't seem to exist for me...?
This is the only one I know of.  It might be out of date.

Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »
I guess it depends on who your opponents are, too.  If used against PCs, I agree this is better than Inferno Blast.  If used against monsters, by 17th level, so many things have resistances and immunities that I figured 50 damage of two types should deal less damage than 100 of one type for many monsters.  Do you think the knocking prone aspect makes it too powerful?[/quote]

The knock prone effect is very nice, and Cold and Electricity are resisted almost as much as Fire, so I suppose it shouldn't be a huge deal. But with the knock prone it still seems stronger than Inferno Blast pretty much every time. I'm finding it hard to suggest a change though...

Also, I think the 60 foot range is as much of an asset as a liability.  While you're not affected, your allies are.

Yeah, I realized this a while after I posted.  :p

Quote from: RobbyPants
Thanks.  I liked that one too.  And I feel enough of the other stances are useful for other reasons so that you won't always be in this one at 15th level.

Yeah, I think you succeeded in that.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »
The knock prone effect is very nice, and Cold and Electricity are resisted almost as much as Fire, so I suppose it shouldn't be a huge deal. But with the knock prone it still seems stronger than Inferno Blast pretty much every time. I'm finding it hard to suggest a change though...
I guess we can try approaching it a different way.

How strong do you feel Inferno Blast is compared to the other eight capstone maneuvers?  I always got the impression that it could deal some potentially high damage to a lot of targets, but it wasn't that strong agasint CR 17+ monsters.  To me, it always felt like mook control, but the kind of mook control where you have to tell all your buddies to back off 60 feet first.

So, I will grant you that in most situations, Apocalypse Storm strictly speaking is better than Inferno Blast.  Do you think it's better than some of the other capstones?  I guess I feel the knocking prone part is the best, because it ruins full attacks and hinders movement for one round, so it adds in some crowd control.

If it still seems too powerful, I suppose I could reduce the damage to something like 10d6 of each type (average of 35 each) and keep the prone part as-is, making it more of a crowd control maneuver with some extra damage on top.  Personally, I feel that's a bit weak for a capstone.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:25:26 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
I haven't put too much thought into the two discipline feats, but I was thinking about something along the lines of Shadow Blade; +Wis to damage on any Raging Storm weapon when in a Raging Storm stat.  Thoughts?  Really, my greatest hesitation isn't that it's too powerful, but rather that I'm copying something already out there.

Also, I might make a third feat; one that synergyzes with another class.  I'm not sure yet.  Possibly something with barbarian's rage and electricity.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:58 PM »
Also, I might make a third feat; one that synergyzes with another class.  I'm not sure yet.  Possibly something with barbarian's rage and electricity.
Maybe while raging you can sacrifice one of your prepared maneuvers to gain +Xd6 electricity damage to your next attack?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »
That's a really good idea.  I'm assuming X is the level of the maneuver sacrificed/expended?

As for adjusting the True Shot maneuvers, do you think it is okay to have True Shot deal 1d6 damage (only one point of damage on average from the 1d4 it currently does), and have Greater True Shot go from 5d4 to 4d6, and make it a 4th level maneuver?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »
As for adjusting the True Shot maneuvers, do you think it is okay to have True Shot deal 1d6 damage (only one point of damage on average from the 1d4 it currently does), and have Greater True Shot go from 5d4 to 4d6, and make it a 4th level maneuver?

I vote for True Shot with 1d6, and the Greater True Shot with 5d6, and possibly 5th level if it's too much...

Good job on this discipline, Rob  :clap

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »
How about making Greater True shot 5th levle with +6d6 damage?

Here are three other possible maneuvers stolen directly from Desert Wind.  The only difference (other than electricity damage) is that they can be used on ranged attacks.  Too much?  Too cheezy?  Good idea?

CHANNELED SHOCK

You channel electricity, striking your foes.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

ELECTRIC BLADE

Your attacks channel the strength of lightning.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 2d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

STORMSTRIKE

The fury of the storm is channeled through your attacks.

For the rest of your turn, your attacks deal an extra 3d6 points of electric damage +1 point per initiator level.  If used on a volley attack, the damage only applies to the first attack.

______

I have yet to come up with a tactical feat, but here are two others I thought about:

CALM BEFORE THE STORM
Your discipline and focus make your fury all the more terrifying.
   Prerequisites: One Raging Storm stance.
   Benefit:STORM MASTER
The fury of the storm is synergized between your martial and magical training.
   Prerequisites: Caster level 1st, one Raging Storm stance.
   Benefit: While you are in a Raging Storm stance, you gain a +1 bonus to your caster level for all spells with the [Air], [Cold], or [Electricity] descriptors.

Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
I'm fine with these new maneuvers... and Greater True Shot as 5th level dealing +6d6 is good.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Same, the maneuvers look good, but does the lv 1 version remove True Shot's effectiveness, or no since you can make it a bonus to-hit?

Maybe the tactical feat could have something to do with paralysis for a few rounds if hit with an electrically damaging maneuver x times? Plus others of course, trying to think of something stormy...

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
Something to do with your movement producing a Gust of Wind effect if you've used a Strike that deals elec damage?

Something to do with being protected by a Wind Wall effect?

The paralysis thing is a bit strong, since it makes you helpless, but stunning might be okay. Maybe if you deal electricity damage to an enemy that has already been deal electricity damage this round it has to make a save vs daze/stun. You can coordinate with an ally, or use a strike and then a counter.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
Same, the maneuvers look good, but does the lv 1 version remove True Shot's effectiveness, or no since you can make it a bonus to-hit?
Are you concerned that the electric damage will outpace the damage of True Shot?  It's true.  It will deal more damage and it applies to all attacks for a round, so it is better.  Really, the only drawback is that it's electricity damage.  I guess the question is whether or not being able to get a bonus to hit is worth it?  Can you think of any ways to improve True Shot while still keeping it in the scope of a 1st level maneuver?

I agree that the paralysis part is probably too strong.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »
I'm a bit torn on what to do with the tactical feat.  I was thinking about putting something useful in on a DC 20 Survival check.  Perhaps something to ignore any percent-based miss chances due to concealment on any one target within 30 feet with line of sight?  I would think if the target is invisible, you still need to pinpoint the square.

Perhaps something where you do one thing in one round to gain a +2 bonus on a roll in the next round (this seems to be popular in several ToB tactical feats).  The problem is, what should it be?  Maybe if you hit a target with a ranged weapon twice in one round, then you gain a +2 bonus on your next attack roll against him next round?

The last thing should probably be weather related.  Bkdubs made suggestions of Wind Wall and Gust of Wind effects based on some circumstances.  These could work.  Perhaps you can leave a fog cloud in several squares based on something (squares you've moved through, the square(s) an opponent struck is occupying, your square and all adjacent squares).  I like this idea, but I don't want to go overboard.  Maybe it's a lighting-thunder theme.  If you do a strike that deals electric damage, you can do some sonic damage.  Perhaps this is a small amount of damage for free (1d3 points every time you use a maneuver with the [electricity] descriptor), or maybe it's a larger amount that you pay for (expend a maneuver to deal xd6 sonic damage to the target as a swift action, where X is the maneuver's level.  You can only do this on a turn where you deal electricity damage to someone with a maneuver).

Thoughts?  I think I might have enough here to work with if I can nail down some specifics.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:42 AM »
Something like this:

-if you miss an attack against a target/if a target miss you, you gain +2 bonus to hit the same target during the next turn?
-if you successfully hit with a Raging Storm strike last round, you create a fog cloud effect lasting X rounds on any squares you move into during this round?
-if you successfully hit a target more than once during a single round, you deal xd6 additional sonic damage?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
-if you successfully hit a target more than once during a single round, you deal xd6 additional sonic damage?
Themeatically speaking, I was hoping to trigger the sonic damage with electricity damage (like thunder coming from lightning), so I wanted to have the trigger be electric damage.  I figured it might be best to trigger it from an [electricity] Raging Storm maneuver as opposed to any electricity damage, otherwise everyone with this feat would just want to get a Shocking weapon for the free damage.

From there, it's just a matter if this should be a small amount of sonic damage for free every time this is triggered, or a larger amount of sonic damage that you get from expending a RS maneuver.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]