Author Topic: Character Creation  (Read 33133 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Character Creation
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »
Why don't we do 1 monster at a time, and that monster must exist for X (say, 10 rounds, or a minute) or die before you can summon again?

I really don't like Zceryll much...

LA buyoff is not allowed. The variant Barbarian is allowed. The Warmage is allowed for now, but I might change some stuff later.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
Generic said no to LA buyback. Also, there may not be any 'small army' either. Still good for any melee types. As for dragon themed stuff, I'm not sure what would be appropriate. I'd avoid LA, so maybe dragonborn would be fine.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »
Don't worry about Zceryll. Banning it isn't a huge deal to me.

So now it seems down to a Binder and Barbarian. Hmmm... any thoughts anyone?

It comes down to having someone who is versatile for different situations, or a bruiser to help keep our squishy mages from getting hurt. Not to mention, raging is always fun, and I think it would be fun to find other situations in which I could rage (since there would no longer be restrictions on times/day, though a cool down period would be needed). I can't honestly think of any, except for situations in which the barbarian wants to smash through a wall or something, and can only do it better by raging out. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:02:51 PM by VennDygrem »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
The Warmage is allowed for now, but I might change some stuff later.

That's fine. I don't mind too much when when DMs want to change homebrew stuff, the fact that you are willing to see if something becomes a problem first is even better.

EDIT: But oh shit. I just realized I don't get energy effect until level 4. I am sad puppy. So much for my minor status effects.

But man, when I hit level 20, you guys better watch out: "Win: the Warmage wins the game. There is no saving throw for this."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:15:06 PM by Kaelik »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »
Perfect. Zceryll is banned and kaeliks warmage is subject to change. I'll start checking over character sheets, and maybe we can start by next week. (later on, like Thursday.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »
Anyone got some feat suggestions?

Seemingly all my normal character choose feats based on themes that require lots of set up. This character however is a generalist damage dealer, so things like massive stacking metamagic would be too much, and most of my other stuff like crazy CL boosts too.

Right now I'm looking through the spells to figure out what most of my spells are like, to see if I should take Spell Focus Conjuration or Evocation, or Spell Penetration.

Also to see which metamagic feats are good for these spells. And maybe if I want Cloudy Conjuration.

But anyway. Yeah, I don't even know what specifically half these spells do, because I don't usually use a lot of DD spells.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2009, 12:37:52 AM »
Kaelik, just remember that your spell list will probably be smaller because of the limited books allowed. I'd go through the list and replace a couple of the dead ones.  ;)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »
If you plan on using one energy type more than others (for instance, cold) for a themed-build, PlH has spell descriptor focus. So instead of Evocation Focus, you would do Cold or Fire descriptor Focus, so that Cold or fire spells would have the +1 DC rather than just evocation or conjuration, etc.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »
I remember a varient where my magic missile and yours look completely different....
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2009, 01:20:51 AM »
Kaelik, just remember that your spell list will probably be smaller because of the limited books allowed. I'd go through the list and replace a couple of the dead ones.  ;)

Are you allowing the Spell Compendium? Complete Mage. I'd venture a guess before looking them all up that there are no spells outside the Completes and Spell Compendium. (And of course Core)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »
The interest thread said SC is allowed.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2009, 02:24:56 AM »
Cool cool, will roll up a crusader then, to make the unsquishy tank. Would loooove our summoners to put out at least one buddy apiece for me to White Raven the enemy to hell.

Ah, because I've never played a White Raven build before, do the bonuses for, say, Leading the Charge apply to myself and allies, or just people around me? Similarly, Iron Guard's Glare only guards my allies, or am I included in the legal targets? Also, how do we deal with my randomly refreshed maneuvers in PBP mode?

And one more for the general public; do I take draconic template for bonuses to con, str, and cha, (all things a growing crusader needs) as well as other nifty things, or instead take my third level of crusader immediately? I'm leaning towards the draconic crusader, for flavor and a power boost...

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2009, 03:03:38 AM »
It wouldn't be a power boost. If you did it, it would only be for flavor. Cha isn't terribly important. You lose +1 BAB and 1 HD, so the Str is only +1 or 2 damage, no to hit, and you lose maneuvers and HP

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2009, 03:22:30 AM »
Also, we really don't have any summoners, remember.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2009, 03:35:07 AM »
True on those points Kaelik, switching to either Hellbred or regular human... regular human seems so boring though playing it smart...

For further reference!:
myself as a Crusader/tank
Kaelik as a warmage/blaster
ArcaneJazz as a bard(?)/general spellcaster
VennDygrem as a binder -or- barbarian
And Vinom as a Cleric/buffer.
--edit-- and Bowen as a Wizard/DM :p

Plenty of melee potential still makes White raven worth it.

-- EDIT -- Got my sheet partially filled out, just need to figure out what little equipment I should buy. Check the link for this campaign in my siggy.
Also, for a weapon; it needs to trip. Do I take a flail and a shield, trying to get respectable AC but using a one handed weapon, or do I use a heavy flail (better crit range, lower crit), a halberd (more feat options, x3 crit on 20), or a scythe (lower damage possibility, but higher probability, than halberd)? I'm leaning towards the halberd, but then again, my AC is shitty (not that, with healing and my threshold, I particularly need it to be high....). Then again, a guisarm has reach...
For reference
[spoiler]
Code: [Select]
Flail, heavy          15 gp   1d8   1d10   19-20/×2   —   10 lb.   Bludgeoning
Guisarme 9 gp   1d6   2d4   ×3   —   12 lb.   Slashing
Halberd   10 gp   1d8   1d10   ×3   —   12 lb.   Piercing or slashing
Scythe   18 gp   1d6   2d4   ×4   —   10 lb.   Piercing or slashing
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:14:05 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 04:17:03 AM »
Hopefully Vinom's cleric will be useful in combat once it gets access to stuff like Divine Power, etc., assuming it's got a low strength from generally being a Kobold. Regardless of whether I go for Binder or Barbarian, I can easily fill in a melee role if need be, so there will be at least two. I think I'm leaning toward Barbarian, mainly to play cooperatively with your Crusader (those white raven maneuvers could do wonders for a power attacking barbarian! :D) The Binder is interesting, but I can never quite find the kind of build I want to play with it in any given game, and I think I'd rather wait for a higher-level campaign to start with one so as to be able to bind two vestiges simultaneously for more potent combos (and to not feel bad binding some vestige for a nifty ability to the detriment of my in-combat staying power).

Plus I've been trying to make a Barbarian using this variant for a long time. So far I've managed to get it as a dip for another build, but it's just that, a dip. I may still go Bear Warrior instead of Barb 20, not sure, but that wouldn't be for a loooong time anyway.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2009, 07:00:29 AM »
You forgot my wizzie, Flay ;)

Personally I'd go with a Guisarme for trippage and reach.
Maybe Dragonborn for the Con boost? Would cost you some Dex though, which you need for Combat Reflexes, not to mention the bonus feat from being Human...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »
Bard sounds fun. Have you looked into Dragonfire Inspiration yet for some extra d6's of damage, ArcaneJazz? :)

... Hm. Apparently I don't own Dragon Magic >.< Can someone brief me on how Dragonfire Inspiration works? Cuz I'm all up for extra d6's of damage. :D

Aside from that, anyone got any cool Bard prestige class ideas? I think Sublime Chord seems pretty cool, but I'm wondering if theres something else I might like even more.

Ive already got ideas for his personality and such. Kinda grim, but works hard as a teammate. I think I will like being a bard. He will not be playing a lute though xD AND NOT A CURSED LUTE EITHER >:[
10+ yrs. of roleplay experience, yet I still dunno what the crap I'm doing >__<

1% of DM's started their first campaign in outer space. If you're one of the 99% that didn't, you're not as weird as me xD

My Games:
Naruto: Eyes of Fate - DM
Leras - Keness Orlen

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2009, 03:03:37 PM »
I own Dragon Magic. You know, if anyone wants to use it. If you ain't using a lute, I can curse flutes or drums or something too. I personally prefer Perform (Percussion) for my bards. Try whacking someone with a flute or a banjo... Cymbals of War!!!!!!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »
Dude, you totally gotta go with Perform (One-man-band) :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol