Author Topic: Character Creation  (Read 33305 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Character Creation
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:33 AM »
Being that it's a homebrew class, there's little in the way of feats geared toward its abilities, so I think it's safe to devote many of them toward combat options for fighting against non-living. Possibly alt-system ability feats like Shape Soulmeld and Martial Study.

If I can make a fun-looking tentative build, I'll go with it, otherwise I may toss together a Binder or something to have a concept/build ready for your intro/preview post. Might do that anyway just in case.  ;)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2009, 03:50:49 AM »
It seems my options are
Sorcerer 3/Druid 3/Arcane Hierophant 10/Mystic Theruge 4
or Sorcerer 3/ Cleric 3/ Mystic Theruge 10/ True Nercromancer 4...
Can I get true necro reflavored for dragons?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:03 AM »
1) True Necro doesn't actually give a good spellcasting progression.

2) Just plan for not ever going higher than level 12. You are level 3 currently. I'm sure that if we reach level 15 and can't do what we want Generic will allow us to homebrew our own prestige classes or completely redesign our characters.

3) Sorcerer 3 doesn't actually qualify for anything. You are welcome to ask for 0 spells of each level at odd levels, I'd personally redesign Sorcerer to that if I were trying to make the system better with the smallest possible changes. I'm pretty sure he's not okay with Greater Draconic rite, though I'm not sure why, because it;s really not that amazing.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
Was there any ruling on retraining as per PHBII or wherever it's found?

And did someone menton something about 1/Encounter rage or was I just imagining it?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:58:18 AM by Takanaki »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
No retraining without good, story-driven reason:
No. Well, not without sidequest to reinvent yourself. So, not without extremely good story reasons and DM fiat.

The 1/encounter rage is from RobbyPants's homebrew Barbarian variant, located here.

@Vinom: Do you ever play characters that aren't dragon-themed? Just curious.
Honestly, if I were you, I'd just go back to playing a regular Cleric instead of reducing my power level by going mystic theurge, but hey, whatever floats your boat (and is allowed by the DM) *shrug*
-----------
Ok, not that I would do it, but the idea of a Tibbit Siphoner is just hilarious. Sprinkles the Death-kitten destroys your soul by purring and rubbing against your leg!  :lmao
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:54:02 PM by VennDygrem »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
I think I'm going to sprinkle in levels of Warblade here and there just to have some general combat options beyond the siphoning touch.  I'll have my character sheet ready tonight after I get home from work.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Wonderful. I'm waiting on Takanaki, or do you also want me to start?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
If I don't have at least a clear concept by this time tomorrow, feel free to start without me. I am thinking but nothing is coming ~_~ nothing impressive anyway.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »
I doubt my campaign will be all that impressive, so as long as you don't fit a cliche perfectly...
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2009, 06:49:07 PM »
No fancy races? Or just no talking whales?

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
@Vinom: Do you ever play characters that aren't dragon-themed? Just curious.
yes, I'm playing a teckie, and will soon be playing a dragoon and a ninja, and thats just PBP, why?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »

If you're having issues coming up with a concept, sometimes simplest is best. That's why I was going to go with that Barbarian just before; It's always easy to create a Barbarian character, at least conceptually. I ended up having more issues with the complexity of options, really, more than what I wanted to do with it. Just rage up, point at enemy, and let the giant sword do all the talking.  ;)

Were you set on a Bloodstorm Blade build, or were you just trying to put something together? It definitely seems like a cool PrC, and works quite well as a concept (Warrior who focuses on throwing his weapons rather than just swinging them around).

Alternatively, are there any other builds or classes or anything else you've been itching to try? If you want someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to message me.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:03 AM »
If you're having issues coming up with a concept, sometimes simplest is best. That's why I was going to go with that Barbarian just before; It's always easy to create a Barbarian character, at least conceptually. I ended up having more issues with the complexity of options, really, more than what I wanted to do with it. Just rage up, point at enemy, and let the giant sword do all the talking.  ;)
I'm great with coming up with character consepts, I'm not good at making the classes fit...

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2009, 04:06:14 AM »
One thing I'm not sure has been specified or not: HD are averaged, but is the bonus one from 1st level averaged, or does it have to be rolled?
I'm going to assume average for now and will alter this on the final sheet when need-be.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »
averaged. Unless everyone would prefer to roll...

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:38 AM »
Will you allow me to combine Iron Heart throws with Blade Storm/Ricochet? Or allow the thrown skills to be done with other disciplines than Iron Heart?

Also can we buy equipment out of the Arms and Armour book? Things like Rigid Breastplate and several other armour options / weapons make it very droolsome.

Also according to 339  :D
"Petal 1/2 Golem Incarnate construct
Str +6; Dex +8; Int -2; Wis +0; Cha +2 (Worse stat wise than a petal but no LA and playable) - also has DR, flight, and tiny size (MM III)"

: D? : D? : D? Is there even any downside to that ; p?

I think i'll be going for something rather pedestrian, bonus feats are nice...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:40:34 AM by Takanaki »

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
I have no idea what petal is from. Were you planning on playing that monstrosity? (which is apparently a half-plant half living construct?)

A&E guide is not allowed. If that isn't what you meant, I'll need a link. It's probably not allowed.

Both ricochet abilities do not take up swift actions, so most boosts should be fine. I will allow a strike to be used with a thrown weapon, but the ricochets and Blade storm are all full round actions, which few strikes actually grant you. Most are make 1 attack, if it hits add X.

I'll be setting the game up right now, pretty much. Since I'll have limited computer access for the next two weeks, please try to keep talking to yourselves.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:09:26 PM by Generic_PC »

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
So do I get XP for the bear attack we would have suffered if we had gone into the woods?  :P

Where is everyone. Bard, spice my gruel.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
If I take ability focus and apply it to Siphoning Touch, will it apply to all the sub-abilities attached to it since they're all technically part of the same 'ability', or do I have to take the feat separately for each different version of the touch?

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
Actually, there wouldn't be any bears. I'm waiting until other people post though.

I have no idea. I'm gonna go ahead and say that 1 applies to all of them. I might change that later.