Author Topic: Good ranged weapons?  (Read 1820 times)

Zacariah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Good ranged weapons?
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »
My roommate is going to play an assassin like class (rogue 10/ninja spy 10) getting opportunist and using ranged weapons. However, only very few ranged weapons are in the PHB. So, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for good, less standard, ranged weapons (any sourcebook, but pls note where I can find it). Decent crit range would be nice.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Re: Good ranged weapons?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:17:26 AM »
Play a Bloodstorm Blade (Tome of Battle), so everything is a ranged weapon.   :D
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
Quite frankly, there is little to no reason to spend a proficiency feat on a ranged weapon for a character like that. PHB bows are good.

Handy Links

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
EWP: Talenta Boomerang(Eberron Campaign Setting) with the Boomerang Daze feat(Races of Eberron) would be an option.

Boomerang Daze forces a save vs. Daze that scales directly with damage, so sneak attack can bring make that save very hard to pass and force them tobe dazed for a round. Useful for something to do if you can't get flanking on the first round of combat and helps your party's action economy by hurting theirs.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »
I've always been partial to hand crossbows but never for damage but as a long range poison delivery system.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
The Greatbow is good simply because Bracers of Archery are cheap and give you proficiency.  Another good one is the Halfling Warsling from IIRC Races of the Wild.  Hitting multiple enemies with each shot is always nice.

JaronK

Zacariah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
Thanks guys, he liked the greatbow idea, going to check it out.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow from Secrets of Sarlona. Double weapon, works with the Bracers of Archery by RAW, and can be used in melee.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow from Secrets of Sarlona. Double weapon, works with the Bracers of Archery by RAW, and can be used in melee.
Except that you can just take some levels in Order of the Bow Initiate and not need to worry about attacks of opportunity or close-quarters fighting.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »
I always did like getting some psionic levels (psion for preference) and an elvencraft deep crystal composite bow of the wintermoon (elvencraft from Races of the Wild, deep crystal from the Expanded Psionics Handbook or SRD, and bow of the wintermoon from the MIC).

Deep crystal allows you to spend 2 power points to deal an additional +2d6 points of damage per attack, elvencraft means that it acts as both a longbow and a quarterstaff (or a shortbow and a club, if you like), and the bow of the wintermoon adjusts automatically to your Strength rating.

There's a psionic power called strength of my enemy (it's in the SRD) that deals 1 point of Strength damage on a successful strike with your weapon, and grants you an enhancement bonus to your Strength equal to the number of points of Str damage you've dealt (though damage against multiple foes doesn't stack). Great with Rapid Shot and/or Greater Manyshot.

Add in a few items in the MIC which deal bonus damage (between +1d6 and +3d6) a few times per day, and you can do some really great single-strike damage, if you so choose. (It adds to the DC of the Daze feat too, as noted above.)
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
Except that you can just take some levels in Order of the Bow Initiate and not need to worry about attacks of opportunity or close-quarters fighting.

I meant it can threaten because one end is a knife.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »

I meant it can threaten because one end is a knife.
And ofcourse OotBI sucks :eh
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol