Author Topic: Aristocrat as a PC class  (Read 2438 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Aristocrat as a PC class
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »
Still working things out...

Aristocrat

Hit Die: d8

BAB: Average
Saves: Fort poor, Ref poor, Will good

Class SkillsSkill Points at 1st Level:Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Lv        Class Features
1Favours
2Charismatic
3Leadership (1 cohort)
4-
5-
6Bonus feat
7-
8-
9Leadership (2 cohorts)
10-
11-
12Bonus feat
13-
14-
15Leadership (3 cohorts)
16-
17-
18Bonus feat
19-
20-

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The aristocrat is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields.

Favours: By making a favour check (see below), you can call upon your vassals to gain important information without going through the time and trouble of a Gather Information check. Favors can also be used to acquire the loan of equipment or documents from influential acquaintances.

To call in a favor, you make a favor check. Roll a d20 and add a bonus based on your class level: +1 at 1st-2nd level, +2 at 3rd-6th level, +3 at 7th-11th level, +4 at 12th-15th level, or +5 at 16th level or higher. The DM sets the DC based on the scope of the favor being requested; it can range from 10 for a simple favor to as high as 25 for highly dangerous, expensive, or illegal favors. You can't take 10 or take 20 on this check, nor can you retry the check for the same (or virtually the same) favor. Favors should help advance the plot of an adventure. A favor that would enable you to circumvent an adventure will always be unavailable to you, regardless of the result of a favor check. You can try to call in a favor a number of times per week equal to your aristocrat level.

Calling in a favour drains your resources and thus your ability to advance as an aristocrat, as well as your self-reliance as an adventurer - hence, they have an XP cost (a failed request has no cost).

Possible favours include:
  • Have an NPC make a skill check with a bonus equal to your class level +6 on your behalf.
  • Have a specific spell or power cast, with a maximum level equal to half your class level.
  • Attain an item.

A favour takes place within 24 hours of the check. However, an aristocrat can only make a favor check if he is within his domain or otherwise able to contact his retainers.

Charismatic (Ex): An aristocrat gains a +1 insight bonus on Charisma-based checks per two class levels (and to his Reputation score, if you are using that variant).

Leadership: As the feat, except that an aristocrat's cohort is always two levels lower than his aristocrat level. At every 6th level thereafter he gains an additional cohort, each one level lower than the last (ie. a 12th level aristocrat could have two cohorts, one 10th level and one 9th level).

Bonus feat: At every 6th level an aristocrat gains one bonus feat for which he meets the prerequisites.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:01:47 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ArcaneJazz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: [Placeholder] Aristocrat as a PC class
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:48:05 PM »
This is an interesting concept :D I think it would be funny to see the other NPC classes brought up to a level where they can compare to PC classes.

Ive already got an idea for a prestige class: The Legendary Commoner. He's super... Ordinary. Lol
10+ yrs. of roleplay experience, yet I still dunno what the crap I'm doing >__<

1% of DM's started their first campaign in outer space. If you're one of the 99% that didn't, you're not as weird as me xD

My Games:
Naruto: Eyes of Fate - DM
Leras - Keness Orlen

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
So basically I was thinking of folding the benefits of Mercantile Background, Leadership, Landlord and Favoured in House into this class, with some perks like bonuses to your Leadership score, and the normal version of Mercantile Background being banned.

Basing class features on a feat may seem lame, but "can afford more equipment than normal" is half the artificer's schtick.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
you might want to look at the Favors system of the Dragonlance Noble in the DLCS. That class seems to go hand in hand with what you are trying to do, but if it is to be used as an adventurer i see issues.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
you might want to look at the Favors system of the Dragonlance Noble in the DLCS. That class seems to go hand in hand with what you are trying to do, but if it is to be used as an adventurer i see issues.
Same mechanics as Favoured in House. I believe someone mentioned a class which got Leadership at level 3 - where was that?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:45:59 PM by Prime32 »
My work

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:50:33 PM »
Don't we all know how broken and lame the Leadership feat is? I think you should use an original new system, maybe call it Prestige, Fame, or Renown, instead of using the Leadership feat. It's just the smelliest piece of cheese I can think of.